Salmon Confidential film by Alexandra Morton Now Online!

What agenda is that Birdnest (which incidentally you have misspelt).? Once again you are attacking Morton and by implication the whole scientific community. She has published papers proving salmon feed lots cause harm, referred to in previous threads, peer reviewed by the National Academy of Sciences and you dismiss it as “gibberish”. Your words!!

IF, and it is a big IF right now, these viruses exist in hatcheries it is a totally different situation to the salmon feed lots. The hatchery fish have to take their chances in the wild. They do not sit as adults in huge pens sending plumes of viruses on top of the salmon migration routes.
You are sewing confusion again by deflecting to another different situation.

What an earth are you talking about? “These same two functions”. That is what Cohen said. DFO should not be managing wild fish and promoting fish feed lots. End of story. Who gets to benefit and use the wild resource is another matter and has nothing to do with the Cohen recommendation.

What really gets my goat is that despite the huge array of evidence from all over the world of the harm wrought by open net pen fish feed lots, when fishermen, environmentalists and scientists do stand up for the wild fish they are attacked as “conspirators” with “agendas”. Sad, really, really sad.

Well rockfish when a group of individuals goes to government crying foul and they have their facts all wrong or distorted they don't really come across as organized or knowledgeable which leaves them powerless. This is what has always been going on with the morton logic. She is misrepresenting facts constantly to suit her addenda.
It does not sound right to put fish in the ocean that have a virus but I suspect that this virus is quite prevalent seeing how it is being found everywhere. I would be interested to see how many enhancement hatcheries have it that are being released. This may have been going on for a long time already.
It is funny how the anti's pull selected quots from cohen to support themselves. YOu really have to look at the whole report. DFO should not be managing both wild fisheries and promoting salmon farms, I agree but at the same time they should not be doing these same two functions for any fishery, sport, commie, or native.

What really gets my goat is there is no group that stands up for wild/hatchery salmon on all fronts only on one front, the salmon farm front. Sad really, really sad.

Birdsnest you clearly don't come across as organized or knowledgeable I find it hard to believe you are spending your time on this sportfishing BC forum to argue for what is clearly a threat to the health of wild salmon. In the email to all members from the mods it sounded pretty clear that we all need to stop fighting each other and stand together to fight for wild salmon. Birdsnest what have you or are you doing to help the fight of wild salmon? Or are you being paid by a fish farm corporation to argue their futile and ignorant arguments? Your arguments are clearly in defence of an industry that is a threat to our wild salmon.

Very well said Rockfish!
I think some people here are waiting for the fish to talk to them before they will believe the science and the facts.

In a way the fish are talking to them. It is just hard to hear them when you have hundred dollar bills rolled up and stuffed in your ears.

So how do we cut through all the BS to see what is going on?
Who do we believe is telling the truth.
Should we take birdsnest's word as truth as he has a financial interest to continue his ways?
Should we take DFO Aquaculture's word as truth when their job is to promote and support the fishfarms?
What about the independent judicial review like Conan Inquire and their recommendations.
How about NGO's who tell us that these fishfarm practices are hurting our wild salmon.
What have these NGO's to gain by doing this? I don't see much money in that tack.
What about the university studies that show harm? Are they just looking for money?

Personally I'll put my money on independent science and judicial review to give us answers.
I also look at who is trying to shut down those people that give us their scientific views.
Is it an attack on their theory or just their reputation?

Just before Cohen there was a "think tank" by SFU and here are their recommendations.

• A first priority is the establishment of a transparent monitoring program of wild and farmed salmon in B.C. to determine both the presence and prevalence of a broad range of disease organisms and potential disease organisms.
  • Given that most national and international evidence indicates that salmon farms have a significant chance of harming wild salmon, from individuals to populations, we must look to explicitly manage them as a disease risk for Pacific salmon.
  • Canada urgently needs to create a separate entity for facilitating scientific research to provide for better management of wild fish and their habitat. This entity must be thoroughly separated from initiatives that promote economic activity
http://www.sfu.ca/pamr/media-releases/2011/think-tank-contemplates-diseased-salmon.html

So there you have it.... no if's, and's or but's, you can be a denier and use the same tactics like Tobacco tried and the current climate denial of Oil and Coal. They may work for a few years but you can't escape the truth and it will eventually catchup to you. One day when your children ask "what did you do to protect the wild salmon", will you have the right answer. Or perhaps some lame excuse that blaims others for your lack of due diligence.
GLG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post GLG. The third bullet is the key one and speaks to the same recommendation made by Cohen. DFO have some good scientists and people (e.g. Dr. Miller) but they can only conduct their research in an environment entirely SEPARATE from the economic bias of promoting fish feed lots and "jobs".

The only caution I would have is any research initiative that gets started on this front could be used as a delaying tactic. I.e. "go do your research for a few years and report back - meanwhile we will keep running our fish feed lots". The Precautionary Principle means we should be getting rid of the fish feed lots now, and only then conducting research to see if there is any way fish feed lots can be made compatible with wild fish (e.g. closed containment??). The Principle states that the proponents of any disruption to the environment should prove that they do not do any harm, not the other way round!!

C'mon Birdsnest do yourself and the environment a favour and stop promoting an unsustainable, environmentally harmfull industry. The evidence is mounting against net pen salmon feedlots and will only increase. The industry's Achilles heal will be the virus's and disesases caused and spread by artificially high numbers of fish in small spaces (this happens most anywhere where lifeforms are crowded too close together). If you still want to promote this industry how about concentrating your time and energy on land based feedlots?

There they can at least be contained and the waste generated can be treated more responsibly like other industrial effluents. They still need to solve the feed issue though, as it is unsustainable to mine the sea of vital plankton and bait fish to artificially speed the growth and fatten up feedlot salmon for market. Something to think about...

I have it on good authority that there is a new project/partnership that is close to finalization whose primary goal is to establish a system to track all pathogens in pacific salmon (wild, farmed, hatchery). The idea is to have a central system whereby people from all over BC can follow what is happening with regard to virus/disease. From what I've heard through the grapevine, this project is a joint partnership between a few parties, including Dr. Kristy Miller of DFO and the Pacific Salmon Foundation, among others. Using Dr. Miller's expertize with salmon genome data the group will work to uncover them any mysteries and inconsistencies in what the public has been hearing. I am hopeful that this project gets off the ground and remains an independent, non-governmental, science-based project like I've heard it is designed to be. We shall see shortly once it's unveiled.

It is very clear and simple and fundamentally applied thousands of times every day in our technical and scientifical world and and Englishman spelled it out already: Precautionary Principle. As per design by our legislations, no one e.g. approves and builds a bridge, a house, a road or whatever before it is assured that it is safe. No one builds any of this first and then studies if it could fall down or fail. Same with medicine and others, only hits the market after it is deemed safe. If any doubt, all those things are immediately closed or withdrawn. This is our society's fail safe mechanism.

Why not here? Because someone was able to corrupt the normal fail safe mechanism. And however supports this or refuses to admit that theer is something fundamentally wrong, is part of this conspiracy on the back of our salmon. And I say shame on you!

I can assure you that Clayoquot Sound Chinook stocks are in dire straits.

Taken from page 144 in the DFO draft report on 2013 IFMP

2012 salmon escapement estimates from extensively surveyed WCVI streams are preliminary. Observations indicate escapement to both SWVI and NWVI systems remain well below average with the exception of Area 27 streams which are at about the recent year average. In particular, escapements to Clayoquot Sound (Area 24) remain very low. In two un-enhanced systems in Clayoquot Sound (Megin and Bedwell-Ursus) less than 50 spawners were observed. There was some improvement to the Nahmint River (Area 23) possibly resulting from enhancement efforts in the 2006 brood year.

Birdsnest are the Megin and/or Bedwell-Ursus systems near your operation?

I have a simple way of looking at these salmon issues:
1) pictures don't lie- large percentages of mature salmon dead pre-spawn= problem- find out why! Now!
2) history of disease and siting issues with salmon farms in Norway and Chile= known problem- we need to use precautionary principle and at the very leasrt, move the salmon farms from high risk areas, if no remove them completely from our waters
3) if you see a strange disease and cannot detrmine what it is, scientists should be required to test those fish/samples, and those reports should be available
4) greed and short term thinking are well known in both business and in government= problem to work around.

The soltions are not simple or cheap.
This disease problem could mean shutting down fish farms, and either shutting down or no market for commercially caught wild fish that may be diseased. That could also mean changes to recreational fishing to protect stocks. This will result in significant financial impacts across BC in many industries that supply all these fisherman and disease farmers. There will be "short term" pain until the farms are removed and the disease finishes running its course through wild salmon, trout, and herring, etc. The governments and fish farms are likely thinking about their liability when the lawsuits come rolling in. This is a big mess that no politician or govt official want on their head for officially sounding the alarm. Unfortunately the problem is growing.

Doing the right thing will not be easy and it will need the support of all to clean up this mess.

I have it on good authority that there is a new project/partnership that is close to finalization whose primary goal is to establish a system to track all pathogens in pacific salmon (wild, farmed, hatchery). The idea is to have a central system whereby people from all over BC can follow what is happening with regard to virus/disease. From what I've heard through the grapevine, this project is a joint partnership between a few parties, including Dr. Kristy Miller of DFO and the Pacific Salmon Foundation, among others. Using Dr. Miller's expertize with salmon genome data the group will work to uncover them any mysteries and inconsistencies in what the public has been hearing. I am hopeful that this project gets off the ground and remains an independent, non-governmental, science-based project like I've heard it is designed to be. We shall see shortly once it's unveiled.

My first thoughts are this could be a good thing or not, for our wild fish. Like most projects of this nature the devil is always in the details. There are too many examples of other research that has been done for the purpose of defending the net pens. We should keep a very close eye on this.

Is it just a typo when you say “track all pathogens in Pacific Salmon (wild, farmed, hatchery)”?

I would point out the Atlantic Salmon are not Pacific Salmon. Monitoring only Pacific Salmon without monitoring the Atlantics in the net pens to a much greater degee would be like testing the general population but refusing to test Typhoid Mary.

We need a large certified independent lab in BC that tests the net pen salmon and other salmon frequently for all pathogens and parasites and the results posted publically within 48 hours of completion. The industry should pay for the cost of this testing much as the commerial fishermen pay for the cost of monitoring cameras. No more hiding in the dark. This industry and their DFO supporters does not have a track record that warrants much trust. There should be an oversite committee that is top heavy on citizens and has Morton on it. Quite frankly she has a lot more credibility with the general population of BC than Govt. DFO and the Industry combined. Much to their chagrin.

I would point out that the draconian Gag Order legislation the Provincial Liberal Government was trying to push forward to ensure the industry can keep its dirty little secrets in the dark is still sitting out there. They stopped pushing it forward because of public concern and I suspect the upcoming election.

Finally; no more expansion of this industry at all while we sort out this mess.

That was from last summer actually, not current. Interesting angle though to look at the reports released to investors...ie http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...s-earnings-harvest-oslo-mover.html?cmpid=yhoo

also another interesting perspective in this report here - sure, may be more of the same to the 'expert's and they have heard it all before, but to see all these concerns preached 13 years ago and nothing done is tough to stomach

http://www.eurocbc.org/ff_report_disease.pdf

I also find it interesting (just commentary) - if IHN is of no risk to human health, why does US care so much about whether or not the fish we are exporting are virus free? Shouldn't matter one bit should it :confused:

The Yanks are smart to care because the restaurants and other buyers that sell this BS product (my words) are washing off diseased salmon in their sinks and that water goes down their drains. That is potentially ruining their watershed and who knows what else. Maybe it's getting into the fill tanks of the hatcheries that produce the fish that we all love to catch here....
As noted before my other big problem with the pens that isn't really addressed in the movie is, how they feed all those fish? Are they just fed the ground up by-product of the herring roe fishery? I'm not really feeling great about that whole situation either....

Mourning you will be happy to know that they have a trawl commercial fishery that fishes to feed farmed salmon, especially the last few weeks so the flesh colours up for marketability. They are stripping the oceans of plankton to feed these fish. The most important organism in the oceans food chain. They are also over fishing southern mackerel populations which are also ground up as feed.

First off - the Bedwell IS an enhanced system.
Tofino Hatchery has been working on it for years, with varying levels of success.
This year actually showed a much better return (80-90) of Chinook with many being marked fish.
If you look at the numbers back to 1947 you will see that in the decades before salmon farming started there were actually LESS fish coming back.
You can clearly see in the Chinook graph that when the road went in in 1959 or so, and the 400 boats started fishing out of the new harbour and breakwater in '62 or so that there was a pronounced impact on populations.
The argument that salmon farms have far more impact than fishing seems to fail when you actually look at the numbers.
Chinook in Clayo.JPG

Total Salmon Clayo.jpg
This is all species in Clayoquot - Watta, Megin, Atleo, Moyeha, Warn, Cypre, Tranquil Kennedy Lake and River.
Don't have 2009 in there yet, still getting numbers from fisheries guys.
Farms came in around the mid to late 80's and Atlantic were cultured past 1990 or so.
As far as abundance in general therehave been ups and downs, nothing showing that farms have impacted salmon in general in any way.
If you want to cherry pick one or two species that also have the highest fishing pressure and say that they (farms) are responsible for declines, you must also recognize that other species like Chum are doing much better - with near natural abundance cycles - without the fishing pressure.

Back