Salmon closers

wayne marwood

Crew Member
Fishing salmon closers these fish go by all the open fishing areas when they get close to there home streams they put up closers ,it is a a very hard thing to take whe last year the fishing was the best ever,home come now did they just wake up and smell the coffee,ask the fishing people out there what are theycaughting ,it is sad what is happening out there now cut down on sea lions and seals when you see two hundred in groups that is where the fish are going

I think hes trying to show the intelligence of the seal argument and its a very good example of that indeed. last year was not the best ever obviously and large groups of boats are a good comparison to large groups of seals but its the seals taking all the fish. The closures aren't the best solution but its better than doing nothing. Blaming dfo is easy and very deserved but personal responsibility is never considered. If dfo set limits of springs to 20 how many people would stop before they hit their limit or if wild steelhead were allowed to be taken how many people would be carrying them out. We all see the decline but everyone still wants to take their limit rather than limit themselves in the name of conservation. Catching and killing the big one has already basically eliminated the large fish from most rivers genetics and they will unlikely come back for thousands of years but limiting may result in some stocks returning to a sustainable limit. If the situation is so bad that a natural predator that has been around as long as the salmon needs to be culled than we should also be limited down in our take. The argument that seals are wiping out springs is being made by commercial herring fisherman who have nearly wiped out a food source that makes up 60% of chinooks diet and the other proponents are people who stand to make money from the sale of seal meat. Seals should be culled in sensitive habits such as rivers with declining populations but I doubt that is where these seals would be harvested or that they will be targeted properly. I also find it laughable that comparisons in numbers today are made against numbers from the 1800's how were numbers assembled then from rowboats and sail or steam powered boats maybe paddlewheels. If salmon populations from the 1800's were probably at least 500 million more across the coast with many larger fish in the population why were there less seals? Keep blaming natural predators like seals or bull trout and eventually we will be blaming eagles and salmon sharks or maybe halibut are eating them for their sweet bellies. I would be in favour of a cull if it meant herring fisherman would stop fishing for herring and start hunting for blubber we would see some very good results from that, but it wouldn't be from killing the seals.

Back when I started going fishing with my dad you never seen a seal or sea lion ,and for bald eagles I seen so many I could not count them all was the years they commercial nettednitinat lake

Back