Saanch Inlet prawning

M

Mongoose

hey im thinking of buying some prawn traps and trying prawning for the first time. i know that Saanich Inlet has some prawns in it. has anyone been getting some there??? and i know that the victoria waterfront has some out(big ones like toonie size fat) there but the current likes to take the traps for a ride. any areas that seem to be getting good hauls both saanich inlet and the waterfront???

the inlet seems to be the best prawning area...
if you launch at the indian ramp, run north towards
Pat bay.. you'll see floats from Coles bay on.
we had our best luck between 240-260' using fish pellets
in the bait cups.
from past experience, i would not leave your traps unattended
for a long period.;)

We spent last weekend in the Inlet and fished four traps for two days in areas where other traps were set. We tried Senanus Island, south of Coles Bay and over at Bamberton and caught a grand total of 3 prawns. Other than one trap that came up with some flappers, the traps were always empty. I mean devoid of any form of life at all. I thought that was kind of weird, since there's usually something</u> in them - we've caught ling cod, octopus, starfish...

maybe the fish in the trap ate all the prawns? lol, i would be leaving the trap for a while, a over night soak maybe, i may buy 4 traps and put them at 200 220, 240, 260. using some prawn bait pellits from Trotac Marine. its like 10 bucks for 5.5lbs

what about the waterfront? its way closer to launch there then at the inlet. but its always windy so the traps would end up at albert head. has anyone dared to prawn there recently, what depths are good there

"its always windy so the traps would end up at albert head."
That's why each trap should have 10 pounds of lead attached.

ill put down 15lbs. wheres a good place to prawn off the waterfront? and what depth

Back