Rubber Driveway vs. Asphalt

Corey_lax

Crew Member
Does anyone have a rubber driveway? I've seen them around lately and wondering how they are for durability and initial cost compared to a standard asphalt driveway. I have to re-do mine next year and also add a linear drain in front of the garage because we get water coming in under the garage door.

We looked at asphalt, rubber and concrete last year. Asphalt was similar to the cost for finished concrete but asphalt is softer and soluble. The rubber needs a solid base, too and was over double the cost of concrete. The stamped, colored concrete is low maintenance and looks great. The strip drain should connect to the rain water system - not to perimeter drainage.

We looked at asphalt, rubber and concrete last year. Asphalt was similar to the cost for finished concrete but asphalt is softer and soluble. The rubber needs a solid base, too and was over double the cost of concrete. The stamped, colored concrete is low maintenance and looks great. The strip drain should connect to the rain water system - not to perimeter drainage.
Thanks. I have a rain water leader right around the corner so it should be easy enough to connect the linear drain into the rain water system.

Thanks. I have a rain water leader right around the corner so it should be easy enough to connect the linear drain into the rain water system.
if you have room to put a sump in at the end of the run, do it.. you can flush and collect materials in the sump rather than have it go into your system directly.

Corey_lax, there's some rather alarming info about rubber's serious toxicity to salmon in the Conservation section, here:

This issue is news to me, and I'm no aquatic toxicologist, but there may be an environmental problem with rubber pavement, since it's made of small pieces of old tires. A lot of surface runoff finds its way into rivers.

Corey_lax, there's some rather alarming info about rubber's serious toxicity to salmon in the Conservation section, here:

This issue is news to me, and I'm no aquatic toxicologist, but there may be an environmental problem with rubber pavement, since it's made of small pieces of old tires. A lot of surface runoff finds its way into rivers.
Valid point. I wonder if the recycled tires for driveways still contain that chemical. I live close to spawning grounds so maybe I'll stay clear. The bitumen in asphalt isn't that good for the fishies either. Lose-Lose situation

I'm with raincity. Except I pay about 75% less for asphalt. If concrete and asphalt are the same price I would 100% use concrete. The rubber is good if you have an exposed aggregate pool deck that's failing and you need a temporary solution until you can afford to redo the pool. I'm currently doing a large siding project and my guys keep ***** how hard the rubber is to clean.

How is snow removal on rubber driveways? I imagine they are much softer than the other 2 options, my concern would be catching a shovel edge and tearing into the material. The rubber would likely be a great nonslip surface.

Just overthinking as always...

Back