Electrical Accessory questions

Bassblaster

Hey guys,

A friend of mine was clearing some of his old gear out of the garage and I've inherited some older electronics that I'll need some parts for to get working.

The first is a "Standard Horizon Eclipse +" marine radio. This is the first radio I've ever owned for any kind of vehicle so I'm looking for some guidance here. The power leads and in-line fuse are intact, but it's missing everything for the antenna. My question for this one is what kind of antenna do I need, cost, size, etc, and where's the best place to get one?

Second thing was a Garmin 128 GPS unit. Again, power cables are all there, and so is what appears to be the antenna unit with the wire. The only problem is the connector on the end of the antenna wire that looks like a mini version of a co-ax cable connection has been sheared off. Can you get replacements for these, or do I have to buy the whole cable and antenna unit? The other question was the antenna unit (it looks like a computer mouse with a very long tail) has a threaded mounting piece cast into it. Does anyone know what thread this is? Also, what material should I use to fabricate the antenna pole out of to mount it on? Do I even need a pole?

The last thing was a Lowrance X65 finder. It appears the only thing missing from it is a speed/temp sensor. Are these still available for this unit? or is the technology too old to still get parts for?

I'm sure some of you are wondering why I'd waste my time with these, but the fact is they are either items I have never had in the boat, or are 1/2 the age of the technology that's in it now. As far as I'm concerned any upgrade that makes me safer on the water and costs me next to nothing to get is a great one in my books.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would put them in the boat even if they just for backup.I think having two radios and GPS is a great idea. The radio just needs a 8 ft antenna and that should come witha plug that you will have to put on. The Gps just needs a plug same as the antenna plug. The thearded part is to mount the antenna same mount as you will need for your radio antenna. Your fishfinder just needs a tranducer. I would say for under $200 your up and running.

The Garmin doesn't have a threaded piece on it like the radio does. It looks almost exactly like a co-ax plug, but it is definitely different. I'll try to post some picks of the items in question for better clarification.

Sorry you are right it is a different plug its like a quick connect plug(push in and twist on) I think that you can still put a plug on yourself or take it to a electronic shop, should be cheap.I would still go for it. I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. Bought a set of used electronics and the ends were cut. Got a Furuno color GPS /Fishfinder, Furuno radar and a Standard Horizon radio all for $500. Bought a antenna, the plugs and a chip for the GPS, for another $225. So for about $700 I than had 2 Fishfinders, 2 GPS, one now color,radar, and 2 VHF's one that was interfaced with the GPS and had DSC. I felt way safer on the water with made it a lot more enjoyable. Like I said I would do it, you got the gear for free and for a couple hundred bucks it's cheaper the buying any one of those units new.

Back