Rodgers Fishing Lodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roger Bligh from Newton Cove Lodge has posted some very interesting reading on this subject on their website. I think t should be on this thread.
From a lodge owners point of view.

BS

I've tossed and turned on this issue for the past few days and gone back over this and the other thread on this issue and have an observation and a question for you guys...
The DFO have placed all ll kinds of limits on various species of Salmon, in terms of timing, size, catch and even where they can be caught (or not), cod, prawns, crabs and so on. These new Halibut regulations are, as far as I can see, an extension of past regulations concerning timing, size and catch. In addition, these new regs provide recreational fishermen the ability to "buy" quota from commercial license holders that provide the rec fishers the ability to fish beyond the normal limits. What this essentially means that instead of buying halibut from a commercial license holder at the dock for the fully loaded price of the fish, a rec fisherman can pay a "wholesale" price to the commercial fisherman for some of the commercial guy's quota and go out and catch the fish himself. This ability does not exist for any other species of fish.
People on this and the other forum on this topic have suggested this scheme allowing buying quota, which should not increase the amount of fish actually being caught as being immoral, unethical, undemocratic and will generally lead to the complete destruction of the recreational fishing industry as we know it.
I'd like someone to very clearly outline how these regulations, that as i see it at least, do the same thing with Halibut as has been done with most of the other things we drag out of the ocean plus give us the ability to extend our catch beyond the limits if we're prepared to buy "uncaught" fish from the Commercial guy rather than buying the "caught" fish from him off the dock are so wrong.

There is a very clear difference between slot limits and in season closures designed to protect endangered
populations and selling quota to the recreational fisherman from the commercial sector.
There is an unfair division of a common property fish.
Give the rec sector at least 25% of the TAC, and the problem would go away.

I've tossed and turned on this issue for the past few days and gone back over this and the other thread on this issue and have an observation and a question for you guys...
The DFO have placed all ll kinds of limits on various species of Salmon, in terms of timing, size, catch and even where they can be caught (or not), cod, prawns, crabs and so on. These new Halibut regulations are, as far as I can see, an extension of past regulations concerning timing, size and catch. In addition, these new regs provide recreational fishermen the ability to "buy" quota from commercial license holders that provide the rec fishers the ability to fish beyond the normal limits. What this essentially means that instead of buying halibut from a commercial license holder at the dock for the fully loaded price of the fish, a rec fisherman can pay a "wholesale" price to the commercial fisherman for some of the commercial guy's quota and go out and catch the fish himself. This ability does not exist for any other species of fish.
People on this and the other forum on this topic have suggested this scheme allowing buying quota, which should not increase the amount of fish actually being caught as being immoral, unethical, undemocratic and will generally lead to the complete destruction of the recreational fishing industry as we know it.
I'd like someone to very clearly outline how these regulations, that as i see it at least, do the same thing with Halibut as has been done with most of the other things we drag out of the ocean plus give us the ability to extend our catch beyond the limits if we're prepared to buy "uncaught" fish from the Commercial guy rather than buying the "caught" fish from him off the dock are so wrong.

simple... why should any canadian pay for fish that was gifted away? if there is TAC available it should GIVEN back to sports-fishers.

Bigbruce my problem with it is they are setting up a model where a rec fishermen pays for a fish the commercial guy has not even caught AND you can pay to fish outside the sport regulations. So the wealthy have more rights to fish then regular joe angler. And the commercial guy gets to sell an un-caught fish progiting off a canadian resource without doing any work himself. It implies he has ownership of fish that have not been landed.

As TAC shrinks prices will go up and it could become on of the only viable way to halibut fish. What if DFO likes the model because its easy for them so more species get added to the program. fast forward 10 years and crab limits are reduced to 2 per day but wait! your experimental license allows you to buy additional crabs from the commercial crabber? and in my area off victoria there is a salmon slot limit (no wilds over 67cm) all spring long but soon you might be able to keep big ones if you pay a commercial boat for them.

see where it can go? rec fishing oppurtunities decrease and commercial fishers who are not even fishing will start to profit more as our seasons are reduced. that gives more incentive for the commercial lobby to fight to reduce Rec limits thus increasing their profits.

To me it's like going to a public park, picking some wild flowers for your girl, then having to stop at the florist on the way home to pay for them.

If anyone should be paid for those flowers it's the park upkeep fund not a private business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back