Rodgers Fishing Lodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received the exact same email response as well. I also hope they change direction and concentrate their effort on putting an end to what is hurting us all rather than trying to work within it.

I fear they will not as I am quite certain the feedback will not be positive regarding the current regs and I fear more that we will be facing the worst news we have seen yet come next years IPHC meetings in Jan/Feb..That said and if it rings true I still will not accept anyone's decision to lease quota as being ok or the only way to make it work.

As some one who has been on the fence about joining the SVIAC I would very much like to hear what Chris has to say about SVIAC's plans for addressing this disgusting program DFO is pushing on us? More over,where dose this lie on the coalitions list of priorities?

I strongly feel (along with many others) that getting a handle on this "ITQ" BS is the single most important issue we face right now.From a non environmental standpoint it alone has more potential to reduce and remove our access to our common property resource than any thing else. If people/businesses start buying in to this lease program it will weld the locks shut on many of the doors we can barely see the light through now.

I feel the exact same way. Great post Ray. This talk about small businesses doing what they must to survive doesn't fly with me at all. I am a business owner. I can change my company to suite different situations. If a business is not doing well the first thing I look at is who is running it period.

I agree that the ITQ should be our biggest priority right now. This will effect every single one of us in the future. If this "experimental" program for halibut quota takes hold we are doomed period. End of discussion.

For some of the posters that have not taken this very seriously or have called out some other posters that we are being too harsh etc towards Rogers. Please do some research on the ITQ system and the ramifications it has on the publicly owned resource we like to call sports fishing. It will be a thing of the past if we don't fight this thing. This is very serious stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received a reply, as follows:

Hi Shane
Thanks for your email. I want you to know that I appreciate you taking the time to email and I respect your opinion and comments. I think what is going to happen here once we get into the season and people start to realize the reality of these new halibut regulations, fishermen are going to quickly realize that they are totally unworkable in their present form. My feeling is that the DFO have unwittingly created an unmanageable monster of a problem here and it is going to come back and haunt them. These new regs are such a radical change from what we are used to and there are a lot of unanswered questions. It will be interesting to see the feedback after these new regs have had a chance to be tested. If it turns out that the new regs are working and the feedback is positive we will certainly dropped the idea of buying any quota........best regards.......Doug Rodgers

So, perhaps they will look at dropping the idea of buying quota. Time will tell. Sometimes you make a wrong decision, and although you can't go back and undo it you can change directions moving forward. Hopefully that is what will happen.

I received exact same email as well. Some damage is already done in my opinion. Like you said, time will tell how much more damage is done.

I feel the exact same way. Great post Ray. This talk about small businesses doing what they must to survive doesn't fly with me at all. I am a business owner. I can change my company to suite different situations. If a business is not doing well the first thing I look at is who is running it period.
Amen. I know there are fishing lodges out there thriving and fully booked, in areas where the fishing isn't even steller....look within first before you blame external forces. Whether its marketing, employee enthusiasm, knowledge, accommodation quality, or what the case, as a business owner, you have to look at the successful products out there, and try to mimic them, not attempt things that steps on many toes and could do more harm than good for the overall industry.

Jencourt:

You wrote ...
"As someone who has been on the fence about joiningthe SVIAC I would very much like to hear what Chris has to say about SVIAC'splans for addressing this disgusting program DFO is pushing on us? Moreover, wheredose this lie on the coalition’s list of priorities?"

Personally, I 100% do NOT approve or agree with the experimental halibut license. It is a massive mistake for the Fisheries Minister and DFO to even try this. Besides being incredibly insulting to the Canadian public and west coast anglers by asking them to pay in advance for a common property fish resource they already own, it is essentially an unworkable fiasco.

This experimental halibut license is a:
1. - huge waste of Canadian tax payers money;
2. - impossible to enforce effectively when both the recreational season and this fishery run concurrently;
3. - system that requires significant DFO staff time and financial resources when they are broken and being cut back financially;
4. - fishery open to huge abuse from any one (catch now report later);
5. - commercial fishery that should have mandatory camera monitoring, better still a paid on-board observer to see it is not being abused; and,
6. – massive fail so far (2011 – 440 lbs& 2012 – 1250 lbs used – when Cdas TAC is 7,000,000 lbs).

Believe it or not, this is still a pilot program that came after the Stanyer Process impasse, thanks to Minister Shea. It was very interesting to witness DFO make this experimental license an important part of a proposed regulatory package that went to Ottawa for consideration to be entrenched into law permanently. Wonder why so much need to entrench this into law? Why the rush too? Something stinks!

South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition
believes the only long term successful resolution to fish and invertebrate allocation is to ensure the public have PRIORITY ACCESS to ALL fish and invertebrate species important to the public recreational fishery, PERIOD! Lobbying for PRIORITY ACCESS is in the top THREE SVIAC fish and fishery to do items. If we are going to fight for our fish and our fishery, we want to have proper and just access to the resource. Only after conservation, FN FSC and the public are provided for, should there be any commercial quotas assigned and fished.

How should SVIAC deal with the experimental license? Simply lobby to have it canned permanently!

To explain with detail in a single paragraph how a complex lobbying and activism campaign like this would work, isn't going to happen. But everyone must remember successful lobbying and activism campaigns that employ all legal and legitimate means need ONE key ingredient ... CONSEQUENCES. Educate the public, build robust alliances with like-minded groups, develop a significant war chest, gain support at all political levels locally and in Ottawa, then explain clearly to the government why the public want change and what change is needed. Each politician MUST know how our support asa sector will help them and their party, but more importantly, they must know what will transpire should they ignore anglers’ wishes.

A political hot potato issue is one no politician wants his party or his elected position to suffer as a consequence. We’re turning on the oven over here at SVIAC. “Do you want your piping-hot baked Yukon Gold loaded with bacon, chives and sour cream, sir?” :cool::D;)

So Jencourt, your $40.00 will help build the needed war chest and your name added to SVIAC membership list can only help SVIAC help YOU sooner and more effectively.

Gov

Fair enough Gov'na :D

Time all 6300 people join the sviac if we all get on board and back them!!!!! guess what one voice going to Ottawa speaking for us and what we believe in as the mandate is pretty darn clear on what they want to do no hidden agendas, YOU WONT get lies LIKE DFO does to us on a daily basis.
Simply put time to join......

Holmes stop trying to stir the pot man

SOOOOO........so since this lodge has been exposed and put on the hot seat, i think it is only fair to ask a few questions of other lodge and charter operators.....will others say no to the experimental license program?...will you guides and lodges out there refuse service to ppl who hold quota under this experimental license?...are you going to ask your clients up front if they hold experimental rec quota?, and if they are, are you going to refuse them service?, if you are a lodge, are you going to tell your clients up front that experimental license holders are NOT welcome at your facility?...here is a scenario:...what if a guide has some clients out fishing and say a 200 pound halibut is caught, and so the guide says, " well, sorry folks, we have to let it go, its over 126cms", then one of the clients says " I dont think so buddy, i have an experimental license, we're keeping it", what is the guide going to do then?...how comitted to are ppl to squashing this experimental program, which is now in it's third year BTW, just how many businesses are willing to say no to the almighty dollar in order to do the right thing?......I, and many others are interested to hear some honest responses from those charter and lodge operators...will you do the right thing and turn business away?......holmes*

I can only speak for my company and I won't ever be buying into any of the 'experimental' licence programs put forth by DFO.
As a matter of fact at this point it's incredibly hard to understand why the SFAB halibut working group agreed to any restrictions while that licence can still be used during an open recreational season.
Shocking is all I can say.
The motion below should of been the kicker before we made concessions because believe me....I believe DFO won't back down on this licence crap because its the only transfer mechanism they have.

Flagged motions
MB-NCM-02-06: (As amended) Preamble: First and foremost, be it noted that the CCSFAC strongly opposes the implementation of the proposed Recreational Quota Transfer License in its entirety. However, it is our understanding that DFO is moving forward to pass this license into regulation despite the strong opposition of the SFAB. That being said, one of the stated objectives of the proposed Recreational Quota Transfer License is to provide opportunity for those who “may wish to fish above and beyond the daily and possession limits outlined for the regular recreational halibut fishery”. The CCSFAC is strongly opposed to this objective.
The use of the proposed licence should be limited to periods when the recreational fishery is not open.
The CCSFAC moves that the objective of allowing interested parties who “may wish to fish above and beyond the daily and possession limits outlined for the regular recreational halibut fishery” be removed from the Regulatory Amendment Proposal objectives and, therefore, no part of any ensuing regulation changes would allow the use of this license while the “regular” recreational fishery remains open.
Moved: Ed George; Seconded: Martin Paish; passed

Does Rogers always advertise catching Kings and Silvers.
Seems like they are focussing on rich mericans who are not part of this latest cluster***k.

My sense is that there will be changes for the better next year if not sooner regarding the slot.
The sleeping bear is waking up

Time all 6300 people join the sviac if we all get on board and back them!!!!! guess what one voice going to Ottawa speaking for us and what we believe in as the mandate is pretty darn clear on what they want to do no hidden agendas, YOU WONT get lies LIKE DFO does to us on a daily basis.
Simply put time to join......

Holmes stop trying to stir the pot man

Exactly my point Wolf and not only members here but all outdoor groups and the buisness that feed off them. The gas stations the truck dealers the tackle shops the hotel etc. It is now or never to stop this cancer before it spreads any futher. ACTION not talk. 200OOO VOICES and the goverment will listen. This will spread to all sectors of island and the province as a whole and to all outdoor pusuits if we do not join in and stop it now. We can and should be in control of our resoures but we must take control by action and one voice is the way THANKS

98% of our guided guests went home with their limits!

With a statement like that in their flyer are you really surprised that Rogers has gone the route of leasing fish. I am sure $5 halibut will look quite appealing to some of their guests. Way cheaper than the grocery store.

98% of our guided guests went home with their limits!

With a statement like that in their flyer are you really surprised that Rogers has gone the route of leasing fish.

yes i am surprised considering it morally goes against what we were supposed to stay united and fighting for.

I can only speak for my company and I won't ever be buying into any of the 'experimental' licence programs put forth by DFO.
As a matter of fact at this point it's incredibly hard to understand why the SFAB halibut working group agreed to any restrictions while that licence can still be used during an open recreational season.
Shocking is all I can say.
The motion below should of been the kicker before we made concessions because believe me....I believe DFO won't back down on this licence crap because its the only transfer mechanism they have.

Flagged motions
MB-NCM-02-06: (As amended) Preamble: First and foremost, be it noted that the CCSFAC strongly opposes the implementation of the proposed Recreational Quota Transfer License in its entirety. However, it is our understanding that DFO is moving forward to pass this license into regulation despite the strong opposition of the SFAB. That being said, one of the stated objectives of the proposed Recreational Quota Transfer License is to provide opportunity for those who “may wish to fish above and beyond the daily and possession limits outlined for the regular recreational halibut fishery”. The CCSFAC is strongly opposed to this objective.

The use of the proposed licence should be limited to periods when the recreational fishery is not open.
The CCSFAC moves that the objective of allowing interested parties who “may wish to fish above and beyond the daily and possession limits outlined for the regular recreational halibut fishery” be removed from the Regulatory Amendment Proposal objectives and, therefore, no part of any ensuing regulation changes would allow the use of this license while the “regular” recreational fishery remains open.
Moved: Ed George; Seconded: Martin Paish; passed

I fully understand some peoples position on the first motion , but i am curious what people think about the second part. ...

if you have money you can buy quota blindly... is my take on the second. money,, the problem. dividing common canadian fisher, with the confused elite.

if you have money you can buy quota blindly... is my take on the second. money,, the problem. dividing common canadian fisher, with the confused elite.

maybe more specific.. What do people think of only being able to use the experimental license when the rec season is closed.

maybe more specific.. What do people think of only being able to use the experimental license when the rec season is closed.

not an option if you want itq to go away.

X2 Wolf and Gov. LOL My post for the month...Join a group and start doing these discussions face to face.You cant do it on here with no accountability than a computer monitor...Please join SVIAC or something and get involved... Screw the negativity not getting us anywhere.... If the negativity dies maybe a few us will start posting again its brutal on here.... Go fishing get off the computer LOL!!!

High Five

Thread Hijack Alert

I am not sure I agree with you

I think it is time to be more public, more open, more transparent and more communicative within the sport fishing community. Accountability does not come from suppression or silence, however free speech and participation also has its responsibilities.

Some may not go to a meeting but they may send a letter or they may ask their candidate about a fishery issue before voting because they have read about it here.

I would also suggest that I understand that many would rather talk and read about the fish caught or what’s the hot lure. Sport fishing is a hobby for most of us and we do it for fun and relaxation. However, the cold hard truth is that fishery politics participation is the heavy lifting that keeps us all actually able to catch fish and experiment with that new lure. Fishery political discussion on this forum is a valuable part of that participation.

The cold light of public discussion Is a direct adjunct of participatory democracy and can sometimes be more accountable than backroom meetings and deals by small numbers with vested interest no matter how representative, well intentioned and fair minded those individuals are. This is not a criticism, we all have vested interests and perspectives, I sure do.

Think of open public discussion as one means we are held accountable and kept honest which is particularly important for those who take on leadership and decision making roles, volunteer or not. Bottom line - know one who puts themselves out their likes to be 2nd guessed but it is not always a bad thing. Pretty frustrating I am sure if you think the person who is 2nd guessing you does not know squat and may not.

While in one sense anonymity can allow some to hide behind it, I would suggest that if you are active angler and post frequently that level of anonymity is pretty low. Further you earn your credibility here. While we all have our off moments and difference of opinion are natural; say something stupid, ignorant, meaningless and in my case too long or too often, and you will earn the results. That also is a form of accountability. Post enough and you will need a thick skin and have to lick your wounds because you are going to get someone worked up

I sometimes perceive that when people talk about sport fishery public political discussion here in a negative sense what is often going on with them is a fear based response leading to a need to silence others because of a perception that their own particular perspective, viewpoint or financial self interest may either not prevail or be harmed. Not you of course High Five. I also acknowledge my bias that I see things a little different if the difference is with someone whose loyalties to other interests are incompatible with what I see as the interests of the sport sector or our fish. It’s a bias I can live with.

Anyone actually think there are not competing interests and that a lot of lobbying does not go on within our sport fishing family and on this forum?

A little conflict within the sport fishing community is healthy but like a family when we face a significant external threat to our fish or angling we come together. No outside interests who read our little internal squabbles should doubt that or our collective resolve

I love fishing Halibut, Im terrible at it and still learning but love it. I used to think that eventually I would get lucky and get a 60# or more but now I guess it doesn't matter. However the real unfortunate part of lodges being able to purchase quota is the fact that most of the people that go to a lot of these lodges are not your reg everyday fisherman like most of us on here and could care less about the fact that we are not able to keep and have the same experience as them. The second part of this is that i would think a lot of lodges wont care that we boycott them because at the end of the day people that are paying and can afford to go to a lodge that are net reg fisherman will probably pick to go to that lodge for the sole fact that they have a chance to bring more meat back. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back