Rodgers Fishing Lodge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we have to change plans. No f*#kin way I can support any resort that takes part in the halibut quota purchase. If anyone hears of other resorts buying quota please post here to help those that care make a educated choice on wher they spend their $

Thanks for bringing this to everyones attention ,what is the cancellation policy of this lodge?Have you thought of canceling at the last minute?Ohhh not suggesting anything.

This is what dfo wanted. I honestly don't think we would get more than 15% anyway but this will make sure we don't. Shows sfab's "genius" plan really backfired. If it was1/1 ill guarantee less would buy quota

My impression is that DFO is so desperate to get some buy in to this despised program that they are willing to allow someone who is willing to do so to get away with just about anything. In order to keep the entire quota program from collapsing they need to have a transfer mechanism. If they can’t make this work eventually political pressure will force a mechanism that is actually favorable to the sport sector.

This is what everyone should be working for. Get rid of the ITQ as it is today. the only transfer mechanism that should be in place is one to address by-catch by commercial fishing after the fish are caught so as to have them counted and marketed as part of the TAC for that species.

This is what everyone should be working for. Get rid of the ITQ as it is today. the only transfer mechanism that should be in place is one to address by-catch by commercial fishing after the fish are caught so as to have them counted and marketed as part of the TAC for that species.

Exactly. This is what we are faced with. This is why we have the commercial spy's posting on here creating a wedge etc. We have to stick together. There is money at stake here for the commercial interests. That is why they post on this forum. They want to divide us so that guides and lodges buy quota from them.

Once it starts there is no end. The next will be prawns, then crab, then what ever else is held by the quota holder. It will doom us all.

The DFO loves it because it's "easy" for them. We (the tax payer) pay them to protect the best interests of all wild fish in this great Country of ours and they have FAILED miserably. They are in bed with the commercial fishery and the salmon farming industry (commercial). This is not their mandate and it needs to change big time!

The only way to change it is politically. We have to be one voice.

The way I see it is the lodges and guides have the lobbying power and we have the volunteers and passion. Together we are a voice to be reckoned with. If we split the sport sector and leave "joe bow fisherman" like myself on their own............who the hell is going to speak for us? We will be left in the ditches period. We will be worse off then if all of us recreational anglers stick together. We are all recreational anglers period. Whether we hire a boat to take us out or we own our own boat.

Don't let the trolls on this board make you think otherwise. That is their job to split and drive the wedge to separate us. We have to remain as one. The organizations are in place. We just need to support them and get involved more with them. We need to stick to the program and make it better. It is working. We just need to stop fighting each other and get on side to take on the task.

Regards,
John

Make no doubt about it...if this experimental fishery succeeds we are looking at a pay for play fishery in the future. As all species will be under quota and if you think we will get the lions share and commercial guys will have to come begging to us to have a full season...you are living in la la land.

John, you got my vote for best post for 2013
Gil

Really? It makes it seem like you are borderline not going to allow this thread. I have no idea why you would consider not allowing this thread. If this thread is so borderline, it makes me wonder whom the forum is for.

There is no point in a ref trying to keep a game under control after there have already been 2 bench clearing brawls.

In all fairness to Kelly, he is tasked with a no win situation here.
If it blows up, as a Moderator, who is also a well known guide, he would appear to be responding to the suggestion that Guides should be considered commercial fishers.
Any of us that know Kelly, know that he is first and foremost a rec fisherman, and has always backed the rec fishermen.

One of those damned if you do. damned if you don't situations Kelly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the System has been put in place for the Wealthy to buy Quota. You can not blame Rodgers for buying quota any one with money can. Its sucks but its reality. Im sure more Lodges will follow this example. Some won't though. Some Lodges already had size restrictions in place before this upcoming season. Hats off to them.

As a sector we have to stick together and focus our anger to make political change. Guides, lodges and recreational anglers need each other. Resident anglers need the organizational abilities, funding and lobbying abilities, weak as they currently are compared to the other sectors and interests we are up against. Sport business interests need the resident anglers or more precisely, our votes and thus political influence and the greater economic contribution of resident anglers. Only the combination of these two subsets will support the continuation of the sport fishery as we have known it. It really is a case of divided we fall. Many of us worked hard in the previous Halibut Wars with the commercial sector and continue to do so as it relates to fighting the imposed halibut quota system and the quota lease transfer system that the commercial sector and DFO is trying to force on us as a substitute to a fair and appropriate share of Canada’s TAC.

The commercial sector and their DFO proxies always tried to drive a wedge between us and it has always been resisted. Certainly in my mind and I suspect that of a great many other resident coastal anglers, we thought we had an understanding that we would stay united on the issue of not Leasing Halibut Quota and up until now have, with the numbers being so low as to prove the program a dismal failure.

It was felt important not to lease quota as to do so would legitimize a system that would be to the detriment of us all. We have been prepared to sacrifice as necessary in the short term and have done so, with this year being particularly difficult. Some of the sacrifices benefited the lodge/guide industry but in my view it was necessary because it was important not to disproportionally weaken the guide/lodge subset for the reasons outlined above. It is also equally important not to weaken the resident coastal anglers. These are the people who buy the fishing gear, boats, pickup trucks, fuel, insurance etc and fill the marinas and are the vast bulk of our numbers/votes and the major contribution to the economy, which is in itself political power. Unfortunately these numbers are dropping and in my opinion the only thing that will reduce that, (let alone rebuild), is an increase of fishing opportunities, not the continuous decline we are experiencing.

It is in that context that I view the recent information about a significant incident related to the willingness to lease Halibut quota. Perhaps it was naive to think that some would not want to gain a marketing advantage over others in the guide/lodges sector. Still it is disheartening and ultimately self defeating because it damages and limits our ability to change the unfair sport Halibut allocation system.

I have to say the idea that some wealthy lodge client and in many cases not even a Canadian, can buy the right to bypass the rules that all the rest of us must abide by is never going to sit well with me. There is something inherently unfair and divisive about that.

I am not sure where we go from here. I see this as a dark day in a dark year for the sport fishing sector and now it looks like South Vancouver Island is expected to take another huge hit on our summer Chinook fishery.

Number 1........ i don't see what's wrong with extending the accessibilty of Halibut into September and hopefully beyond for all Canadians that can't get away to fish until then due to owning their own small business or lower seniority to get vacation time.

Number 2........ i feel that what Rodgers is doing is wrong. Breaking ranks with the other lodges that said they wouldn't buy quota like they are is the same as being scab workers when there is a strike. I truly hope they reconsider and stay strong with the majority. If they don't then i hope it hurts their business.

what the recreational sector needs is a professional lobbyist, (ready lawyer) savvy with environmental and contract law, backed by several HUNDRED thousand $ per year of support for class action suits, travel, negotiation and media release. The problem has always been whos pays for it? I would suspect that if there were a way to add an additional 1 dollar to every Pacific sw license, we could support that, but how to raise, account and retain that money from a Federal license. I also suspect that this is the last thing the feds would want. That is the level of organization and influence that is required to fight our "keepers" (DFO and the commie owners who pull their puppet strings). All else falls on deaf ears like waves against the rocks.

There's 6300 members on here and the same 15 or so respond The same 15 or so every time. Do the rest not care . There was over 200000 licenses sold last year which should equal a loud voice.

There's 6300 members on here and the same 15 or so respond The same 15 or so every time. Do the rest not care . There was over 200000 licenses sold last year which should equal a loud voice.
The rest do care I am sure. But at times those certain 15 people that do speak up all the time hold others back from putting in their two cents. That's my thought.

I knew guys that worked for Doug Rodgers when I was guiding in CR and never heard anything bad about him, but this is just wrong. I had looked at Rodgers this summer but think ill stick with moutcha. I'm going to make sure I let them know as I had received an email from them already regarding availability.

Just plain sad. Yanks will most likely be all over it though.

The rest do care I am sure. But at times those certain 15 people that do speak up all the time hold others back from putting in their two cents. That's my thought.

I agree with you. Before we start to worry about All Canadians and people with lower seniority we should try and do what is right for the BC Sportfishers first and the rest will follow from there. Last time I checked they are not fighting for the people in B.C. to drop a Lobster trap down off the East Coast when we are over there. Its too late for this year but this slot solution although made with good intentions was worse than the alternative. My 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back