Rod Holders

I fish MR3 Islanders set up for a right handed retrieve (my meaning of this is I hold the butt of the rod in my left hand and the reel handle is on the right) . The reel is mounted on a 10-1/2 ft Mooching rod and I currently use the round rod holders that come standard on the Scotty 1106 downriggers.
I am looking to mount new rod holders on the stern or gunnales of my boat. What are the everyone favorite rod holders for single action reels, looking for something that works both port and starboard.

If you switch to the Folbe holders, you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago. They are so easy to use with their quick opening design.

I am quite happy with my scotty strikers but after watching that folbe video,I think I may need to add them to my must-have list.
The price is pretty good too.

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

Oh yea, the Folbe's are great. I've got a Folbe and extension on each of my 3 downriggers and they're great! A friend of mine has the Scotty ones that are "quick" release and they aren't nearly as smooth as the Folbe's.

Took me awile to set mine up because Scotty had metric bolts with standard nylocks but... now all is good.

quote:Originally posted by Tiki35

So how do the Folbe's mount to say the 1106 Scotty downrigger?

No problem at all. The rod holder or extension post fits the exsisting Scotty mounts. I bought the angle adjustment discs (cheap) too which helped me set up just the angle I wanted.

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

When I said they fit the Scotty mounts I meant they fit the Scotty rod holder mount on the booms. Just unscrew the rodholder from the boom and the Folbe fits that boom mount.

I also use the Folbe holders with extensions. The kids don't beat the rod butts to crap anymore while trying to remove rods from holders. :) I find them easy and convenient for me too, which is a bonus!!

Too much water, too little time

quote:Originally posted by reelfast

am i correct that these rod holders will not fit into either the fishon or the scotty side mounts??

I can tell you they don't fit the Fish On side mounts. Not sure on the Scotty's but assume they wouldn't fit those side mounts either. Call the guy at Folbe. He's very nice and will answer any questions for you. I've ordered straight from him a couple times.

As far as the Folbe holders fitting into Fish on No they don't. They DO fit into the Scotty bases. The only time a rod would come out of the Folbe holder is when traveling or in heavy bouncy seas, with the rod bouncing and the operator forgetingt to push the lock button in. The lock button is designed to prevent just such a thing happening. Its just a push/pull button on the side for easy access. When using the Folbe in Scotty mounts, they fit perfectly but have a different design of locking into their bases. As you know Scotty has a drop in and twist lock, the Folbe has a drop in ans a slide bar lock. There is a safety kit available to lock the holder in a scotty base. It allows you to lift your holder and index it to any given position and reinsert it without fear of loosing anything.
Why not just install the Folbe base, it comes with the holder and has the the identical bolt centers.

Switched to Folbe this spring.
Works great on the river for sturgeon so far. I had custom swivelbase inserts machined for two of the holders so they swing back and forth with the current in the river which keeps the bait in the same spot for the dinos.
I have regular mounts for downrigger application and am looking forward to trying them at Bamfield next Tuesday!

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

Unknown, you are correct when the rod is loaded no problem exists at all, I was thinking more of bouncing when running with the rod in the holder and the lock not pushed in. yer rite

I haven't come across the Folbe Rodholders here in the UK but they seem to match the Berkley rodholder range very well. Has anyone ordered these from outside the USA ?

I did a search for 'Rod Holders' on http://www.seaangling.info and Cabela turned up No.1 followed by Attwood.

http://www.seaangling.info - Bass Fishing in Europe

Back