Repower advise

Forbsey10

Just recently purchased a 2300 Striper with twin 115 ocean pro 2 strokes
Looking to repower but not sure if i should do a single 250 with kicker or
just replace the 115 with 4 strokes any advise would be great
Already have a kicker

On the striper forum they say the single outboard version has lead ballast in the stern to match the weight of the twin configuration so the deck can self bail properly. Does any one have experience adding weight when going from twins to a single ?

The 60 degree Evinrude v4's you have on right now are super light weight. I would assume they are 25inch shafts for a boat that size and style of the hull from Striper. Those engines are roughly 320 lbs each. So it's safe to consider if you go single plus a auxiliary engine, you will have to go 30inch shaft on the main.

250 ETEC G1 520 lbs

Yamaha 250 560 lbs

Verado 250 600 lbs plus all the crap that comes with the machine ( like the steering system that draws 5 to 15 amps of power continuously, and the rigging is crazy expensive )

Suzuki 250 600lbs

None of these weight specs are for 30inch. There is added weight for that little extra shaft, adapters and or lengthened exhaust housing and steering shaft.

Auxillary options will be 120 lbs for the newest Tohatsu 9.9 - 20 hp in extra long shaft remote models with power trim tilt option.

Twin 115 four strokes they are all right in the 390 lb range per engine. Which puts you in the 780lb range on the back.

Tohatsu just came out with their new 115 Four stroke which is pretty awesome I must say. Sips gas and extremely quiet. However same thing 390 lbs

Hope this help you a bit. Feel free to pm me, and maybe you can stop by the outboard mecca land

115 merc 4 stroke is 359 lbs x 2 is 718lbs.

Single merc 250 is 550lb plus kicker is 100lb =650lb so the difference in weight is minimal.

Trolling on a main holds appeal for me due to noise and control, but everyone has different opinions there. You will burn more gas, more oil usage on main oil changes, need to repower sooner due to hours on main.

I'm going from a single 250 with kicker on my last boat to twin 115s on my new build. My new boat can plane on one 115 so thats a big bonus for redundancy too.

Verado 25 25inch models start at 600 lbs. Then add for 30 inch and steering system

The merc 115 that is 159 lbs. Is a 20inch model. The 25inch model which he will need for that boat. Not sure what the wieght of the 25 inch model is. Basically any engine in the 115 range when you go to 25 inch, it goes into a longer or larger exhaust housing and uses a v6 gearcase and prop size.

Thanks for the info. I have found a pair of Yamahas to replace the twins but
like Merc 250. Just weight and cost is the only concern as boat with 3 motors
has a lot of transom weight

The 60 degree Evinrude v4's you have on right now are super light weight. I would assume they are 25inch shafts for a boat that size and style of the hull from Striper. Those engines are roughly 320 lbs each. So it's safe to consider if you go single plus a auxiliary engine, you will have to go 30inch shaft on the main.
I take it the 30" leg is required because the transom gains depth with the single centreline mounting position?

FWIW on etec V4 series the additional weight between L and XL leg is 21 lb.

I take it the 30" leg is required because the transom gains depth with the single centreline mounting position?

FWIW on etec V4 series the additional weight between L and XL leg is 21 lb.

Yeah pretty much 90 percent of the time with deep v fiberglass boats such as stripers etc that are built with twins use 25 inch engines. If you measure down to the bottom of the V I guarantee its 30 inches.

Sounds about right with the evinrudes. They did it much simpler. The v4 smaller size gear case has the same bolt pattern. So the housing is the exact same onky 5 inches longer on the casting. Where as if you go from 25 to 30, then the steering arm swivel bracket is actually longer also.

The japanese and merc engines are conoketly different. Most of the time the exhaust housings are completely different to accommodate the v6 gearcase. But need to be specific as there was many different models made over the last 2 decades.

I have owned a striper 23 for 10 years. The previous owner put a 225 optimax on. It was a 25 inch leg with a cut down transom. The boat performed very well in all circumstances. I would have put a 30 inch leg . The lighter 2 stroke was the correct choice. Feel free to pm if you have any questions.

That's a solid point. If that transom has enough material to cut down 5 inches. I would

Heres what I would do if it was my boat.

Used 250 G1 etec. Controls and rigging are already there. Assuming you have a dual binnicle control. Take the starboard side control and turn it into a control for the kicker engine. Can replace one set of cables with 33c style and use OMC adapters on one end at the control box.

Basically have the same setup I have. Power house. I've got a podded 23ft custom fiberglass with a 250 with an auxiliary. Running a 4 blade. I can pack however much weight I want. Doesnt really matter. I run between 3800 and 4 grand, at 28 to 30 mph. Doing between 10 and 12 gph. Not bad.

Just so happens I have a used 250 with 200ish hours on it sitting in my shop

Back