Kicker size

smp747

Crew Member
The last big ticket thing I need for my skagit orca 24xlc I purchased last fall is a kicker...

I was dead set on getting a mercury prokicker 15 but recently a good deal on a suzuki efi 20 with a 4 blade prop just popped up in my area...

I'm curious if 20 is too much for that size of boat? Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks.

From what ive read the suzuki 20 is lighter than the prokicker 15, i belive because the prokicker has a high thrust leg but i havent looked too deep into it. As mentioned I had full intentions to do the prokicker, but a really good deal came up locally on the suzuki.

Do you have a ‘zuke dealer nearby? I’m happy with my new Zuke 9.9 EFI except for the tiller throttle frictioner. It’s a poor design. Wish I went full control but the motor is sound with the 4 blade pushing it.

Back in 2018 while still guiding I had to replace my 2003 9.9 yamaha kicker. That is the one that was really a 15 hp. Boat Skagit Orca 24xlc. I was at Westview marine and had to get a zuk efi 20 -4 blade. I was pi##ed!! I thought it was overkill. quite the opposite-it handled the boat fine but there was no appreciable difference. You ducked a bullet-I have a 2021 mecury 15 prokicker 4 blade on my 17CC aluminum-it handles it but I am not super impressed-i've had better. I always compare back to that very rare 2003 yammi 9.9 (15 hp) none were as good -still running well when sold but the tilt had gone for the second time. So the 20 zuk is fine-will not be an over-power believe me. Been there-same boat!!

Last edited:
I just picked up a merc 25 prokicker for my 26' osprey rebuild. I won't know how it performs till this spring, but it looks nice! Big 4 blade, 17amps, 3 cylinder, lots of sound deadening and rubber mounts.
One thing about mercury and tohatsu most people don't know is they have a longer shaft length than yamaha and suzuki. Meaning, a T25 yamaha has a XL shaft length of 25". A merc 25 XL has a shaft length of 27.75". So it helps gets the kicker deeper in the water without having to add a bay kit.

I just picked up a merc 25 prokicker for my 26' osprey rebuild. I won't know how it performs till this spring, but it looks nice! Big 4 blade, 17amps, 3 cylinder, lots of sound deadening and rubber mounts.
One thing about mercury and tohatsu most people don't know is they have a longer shaft length than yamaha and suzuki. Meaning, a T25 yamaha has a XL shaft length of 25". A merc 25 XL has a shaft length of 27.75". So it helps gets the kicker deeper in the water without having to add a bay kit.
They preform great. I upgraded from the 15 pro kicker. It's the only 3 cylinder kicker out there. The Prokicker has almost 20% more displacement (500) than a 25 yam (432). Only downside I've experienced with the Merc kickers is the power tilt switch on the controls (mine are open to the weather) . Been through four switches and two control boxes in the last three years. I'd buy another one.

The last big ticket thing I need for my skagit orca 24xlc I purchased last fall is a kicker...

I was dead set on getting a mercury prokicker 15 but recently a good deal on a suzuki efi 20 with a 4 blade prop just popped up in my area...

I'm curious if 20 is too much for that size of boat? Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks.

I’m not sure what conditions/ where you operate, but if it’s windy or has strong currents you won’t regret the more powerful kicker. We have a 20 Suz on a Grady 232 (24’) and it’s perfect. Our small town has only one dealer / repair and it’s Suzuki so that’s the logical choice. We’ve had it for 3 years it’s been reliable. We would never consider a dropping to a 9.9 for that size of boat. For performance and safety go 20!

They preform great. I upgraded from the 15 pro kicker. It's the only 3 cylinder kicker out there. The Prokicker has almost 20% more displacement (500) than a 25 yam (432). Only downside I've experienced with the Merc kickers is the power tilt switch on the controls (mine are open to the weather) . Been through four switches and two control boxes in the last three years. I'd buy another one.

That's not good to hear about the controls.. are you talking about the switch at the control box or in the motor? My remote controls for this kicker will be out in the weather. Which box did you go with?

Also, did you find the correct prop for the 25? They tried to give me a 10"x7P but there is a 11"x7P they made specifically for these 25's. Both 4 blade

If weight is not an issue, there's no such thing as having too much horsepower. The Orca is a heavy boat and loves sailing in the wind....minimum 15 HP kicker, 20 HP = much better

When I converted my 27 XLC three years ago to a 350 Suzuki I also went with a 20 kicker. Because of the deep V hull I also added the leg extension
to 30"and 4 blade prop. It is working fine but I wouldn't go less. Should be perfect for your 24.

That's not good to hear about the controls.. are you talking about the switch at the control box or in the motor? My remote controls for this kicker will be out in the weather. Which box did you go with?

Also, did you find the correct prop for the 25? They tried to give me a 10"x7P but there is a 11"x7P they made specifically for these 25's. Both 4 blade
It's the side mount control box. Yes, the switch at the box. I've lost the tilt switch in the big Merc cowling a couple times which is less of a problem as you can just disconnect it quick. I haven't lost the cowling switch on any of the Merc kickers yet (that was a yam 9.9 recurring replacement). Switches are cheap, its just pita. I hope I notice if it trims down while running on the mains before it blows the leg or gets stuck up and pops the trim. If I didn't need the extra push I'd consider a Zuk to avoid the issue but the extra displacement is nice and I have great local dealer support with Merc.

I don't remember the prop pitch. It's a four blade and seems like a bit of an afterthought. It's like the zuk kicker prop.... They could do better too.

Last edited:
Gotcha. I'm still trying to figure out where I can fit a control box. The rear helm station on the osprey is very small. Would like to go flush mount if I can fit it. I'm working with Itroll now to get a unit for the motor so I really only need the control to get it in gear.

Go with the 20 hp Suzuki - I have been running them for past 7 years. I put about 750 hours a season on mine. No real issues other than I have had some corrosion issues in the remote control wiring bundle on the first version. Suzuki has corrected that issue by eliminating a connection mid-way in the wiring harness. Only maintenance is regular oil changes, change the internal zinc once a season, replace spark plugs and leg oil at end of each season. The 20 has lots of power, it pushes along my Grady 265 reliably in anything except really wild weather. My boat weighs 11,000 pounds with full load of fuel, so not a light weight to push around. The other advantage of the Suzuki is they are considerably lighter than other kickers. EFI is also nice, no fiddling around with gunk in the carb.

Appreciate everyone's input of this. I did go look at it and am likely going to pull the trigger on it. The only thing with it is that the throttle control is a top mount rather than a side mount and I do not have a rear helm station on the Skagit. The steering wheel is mounted to the on the flat wall of the pilot house with a molded cover on the inside.

I'm content with the asking price of the kicker but if i have to buy a side mount controller for it just isn't worth it. I know I could buy a molded station but I'll cross that road if I pod it.

The only option i can see i see to mount it cleanly would be to cut a slot in the gunnel but I'm not sure if I'm too fond of that. A side mount would be much cleaner.

Does anyone have any ideas on where and how to mount the top mount control box for a clean installation? Perhaps make a small station on the wall from starboard? Does anyone know what I would have to pay for a molded rear station if i do decide to go that way?

Thanks for all your input once again!

Attachments

• 20231224_130651.jpg
    20231224_130651.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231224_130700.jpg
    20231224_130700.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 46
Not sure I completely understand your question regarding mounting location. Looking at where your rear helm is located, the Suzuki kicker binnacle will mount perfectly on the gunnel beside your helm.

1703652545352.png

Back