Reels mr3 vs tr3

About to start my third season with my TR3. Still loving it! Both good choices but I’ll be saving up for another TR3 when the time comes. The backed off drag setting is perfect tension for dropping your rigger. I’m not a fan of free spool as kids and amateurs tend to get it tangled. But the warranty is what sold me when I was making my choice of islanders.

The biggest difference IMO is the inability to back the drag all the way off on the TR3. So when you're setting gear every pull to get your line out requires a good yank. May not be a big difference to some guys but drove me bonkers, especially when using MR3s at the same time. The set it and forget it drag thing isn't perfect either, still requires a bit of tweaking to really lock it in after you've put tension on your rod and a little backing off once you have a fish on. Maybe it's just me but I find having the ability to loosen and tighten in a bigger range advantageous.
As far as a 0-10 drag setting range goes it's like this:
MR2 0-8 with free spool option
MR3 3-8 with 2 turns of the drag knob
TR3 6-10 with 1 turn of the drag knob
I prefer having MR2s as an alternative to the MR3s (I have two of each) both for the smaller and lighter size on lighter rods as well as full free spool for dropping for lings.
for adjusting depth within reason, i dont touch the drag. one hand one the brake and the other winding backwards sending out line. takes a bit to make it a habit.

I have MR-2, MR-3 and now TR-3. The MR-2 is the nicest overall, but a small arbour - so less desirable for most of my fishing. New to the TR-3 this season, but so far they are pretty smooth. I too had some difficulty adjusting to the increased drag when the TR was backed all the way out. However, so far doesn't seem to make a lot of difference when a fish takes a run. I was a bit worried about possibly too much drag pressure, however I just back out the TR drag all the way when we have a fish on. So far so good. I would not buy another MR-3. Too much maintenance for this cowboy, and the drag is too problematic.

Well I have had MR3's and Abel's which I swapped-out for TR3's which IMO for downrigging are the best but pricey. But ..... I also have Avet SXJ Level-Wind's which IMO are the best of the lot and a quarter of the price of a TR3.

Back