Reels mr3 vs tr3

Brett83

I'm heading out to buy a new reel after work today. I'm going for the mr3. Unless someone can convince me to go tr3. My other main reel is an able, which is nice but has issues with the clicker. I want an islander

I'm heading out to buy a new reel after work today. I'm going for the mr3. Unless someone can convince me to go tr3. My other main reel is an able, which is nice but has issues with the clicker. I want an islander
I have a MR3, never used a TR3. I know that many have said that they have problems with the drag creeping with MR3's on the downrigger. I never have drag creep as I keep the cork drag properly lubed (not too much, or too little). Never use graphite powder like Islander originally said to lube the drag as it causes it is slip in my experience, just use Super Lube oil on it (let soak overnight and wipe off any excess) 1-4 times a year depending on usage.

The MR3 was designed to be a mooching reel, not a downrigger reel so that is why the simple cork drag may slip on downrigger. The TR3 was designed to be a trolling downrigger reel with a completely different drag system (multi-layer metal disks) that are much more durable and stronger than a simple cork drag that has been used for years on fly reels. The TR3 also has fully sealed drag systems using o rings and sealed ceramic bearings which are smoother and last longer.

The choice is between a cheaper, MR3 that is designed for mooching, not downrigger trolling that can work IF regularly and properly maintained properly, or a TR3 that is more expensive, but should require less maintenance, that was designed for downrigger trolling. Since I have never use a TR3 I would recommend talking to guys who have to get their experiences and opinions before you decide what to buy.

Last edited:
1. TR3 has Unlimited Lifetime warranty = it breaks they fix for life with the exception of intentional abuse/damage. TR3 has sealed stainless drag system and ceramic bearing = less maintenance. I find the drag on the TR3 much better than the MR3. 2. MR3 still has the cork system and requires more maintenance. Islander recommends after every few fishing trips performing this maintanance. I made the switch from MR3. Haven't looked back. Pic attached. Not to bad looking on the eye. I think its worth it if you can afford the extra $$.

Attachments

• IMG_4605.JPG
    IMG_4605.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Functional differences seem handled above.

Aesthetically I prefer the MR3s...I don't really care for the blocky lettering on the TR3s, and also the MR3s are available in a wider range of colours (including some limited-edition colours periodically).

The ported paddle handles on the TR3s are pretty nice, however.

Functional differences seem handled above.

Aesthetically I prefer the MR3s...I don't really care for the blocky lettering on the TR3s, and also the MR3s are available in a wider range of colours (including some limited-edition colours periodically).

The ported paddle handles on the TR3s are pretty nice, however.
Agreed, I think the Mr3 is a better looking reel and more options for colour. Its the drag and warranty that got me to switch. Zero reel creep on a 20lb ball with out having to crank down the drag .

The biggest difference IMO is the inability to back the drag all the way off on the TR3. So when you're setting gear every pull to get your line out requires a good yank. May not be a big difference to some guys but drove me bonkers, especially when using MR3s at the same time. The set it and forget it drag thing isn't perfect either, still requires a bit of tweaking to really lock it in after you've put tension on your rod and a little backing off once you have a fish on. Maybe it's just me but I find having the ability to loosen and tighten in a bigger range advantageous.
As far as a 0-10 drag setting range goes it's like this:
MR2 0-8 with free spool option
MR3 3-8 with 2 turns of the drag knob
TR3 6-10 with 1 turn of the drag knob
I prefer having MR2s as an alternative to the MR3s (I have two of each) both for the smaller and lighter size on lighter rods as well as full free spool for dropping for lings.

I will be buried with my MR2s.....never cared much for the mr3 or the TR3. I like the freespool option...

This - I tried them all. Smoothest drag for me but it's all personal preference won't know until you get it in your hands....

MR2 >MR3
IMO
for my style fishing anyway. But Diawas and shimano moochers are also great for my style too lol. Mr2 are king if you know how to use the freespool when dropping the ball without getting a birdsnest. I like left hand holding rod/reel in “steelheaders (centrepin) palm” style grip, and right hand is on the lever of the scotty with right hand thumb on the scotty spool acting as a drag.

Kinda hard to explain but im sure some here know what I mean.

I fished both the mr2 and mr3 on the same boat, at the same time and preferred the MR2. No creep and more linear drag adjustment. I picked up two second hand MR2s this year.

Anyone know if the the MR2 large arbor is a closer relative to the MR2 or MR3? Id like to find a large arbour model, but concerned it is more like the MR3 than its original MR2.

I may one day treat myself to a TR3...

I fished both the mr2 and mr3 on the same boat, at the same time and preferred the MR2. No creep and more linear drag adjustment. I picked up two second hand MR2s this year.

Anyone know if the the MR2 large arbor is a closer relative to the MR2 or MR3? Id like to find a large arbour model, but concerned it is more like the MR3 than its original MR2.

I may one day treat myself to a TR3...
It's not like the MR3 at all other than the benefit of the way better drag knob.

This - I tried them all. Smoothest drag for me but it's all personal preference won't know until you get it in your hands....
X3...it took me a bit but I have my reels dialed in. If I get sloppy with the lube (haha) I just lightly scuff the cork with sandpaper and it's good to go. I like to mess with things and find the mr2, for me anyway, is a great reel. I have 3 and would never get rid of them, but I'm not ruling out a pair of tr3s at some point down the road. Can't let these young guys have all the fun haha!

Love my MR2s, but my buddies TR3s are probably the best I’ve tried for playing good sized springs. I wouldn’t buy an MR3 myself.

Ive fished them all. MR2 LA is my preference. Like the bigger drag knob , free spool is a must for me. I like to set my drag once and leave it . Properly looked after , line creep is a non issue. TR3's are too stiff and abit clunky imo. Sold mine after 3 days fishing....

I fished Mr3’s for years and never had any line creep issues , but after switching to TR3’s i would not go back either , the Tr3 is absolutely the best trolling /downrigger reel i have ever used . TR3 hands down .. i even dropped one overboard last year fighting a fish , My Tackle dealer trolled by and asked me if i would buy another one ... Absolutely see ya soon Tackle guy !! Islander for life !!!

I will be buried with my MR2s.....never cared much for the mr3 or the TR3. I like the freespool option...
Totally agree, mine are MR2LA but still, I can't figure out why anyone would not want free spool features. Now if Islander made them so you could turn them over to left or right, they would be unbeatable, JMHO, and as usual, I'm flame ready.

I have MR3s and TR3s. Both are excellent reels. With proper maintenance, my MR3s (all 4) have never creeped.

Picked up 2 TR3s earlier this year. Better drag system for trolling on riggers vs. the MR3s, and the fully sealed housing makes for much less maintenance. Price is worth it IMHO, but in all honesty, you can't really make a wrong decision here.

Back