Recommendation to buy a aluminum boat.

kitman

Hello

I was using a 11ft dinghy with 15hp , now planning to upgrade to a 17,18 ft aluminum...wants to do some casual salt water fishing with family of 5 on mostly inlet or around galiano island,or just comfortably cruising around , looking into legend 17, 18 ft boat ...any one have any recommendations for this brand or other recommendations?

Do yourself a favor and get Don at Shadowline boats in Campbell river to build you what you want. Great guy to work with and excellent product. I have never been happier with my 17ft alum he built. I have had many boats in my lifetime and I can honestly say that this boat is the only one where I can't say I wish I had done something different. Exceeds in all expectations!!

Do yoy have any pic of your boat? How much roughly will cost for building a 17ft boat from them? Thank you.

Determining the size is a great starting point. Even a foot longer is usually noticeably wider too. Space is a premium in a smaller boat, a bit more room here and there will make you happy. 17' to 18' doesn't seem like much but it is.

Do you want new or used? There is a healthy used market out there, plus the "season" is winding down for some, might be a deal out there. Are you looking south of the border as well?

I would pass on the Shadowline builder, one boat he built he had to take it back and build the customer a new one as he screwed up the self bailing deck to the point where he was doing band aid fixes to try to make it work, but he still had to take it back and build the customer a new boat. Not sure if he uses a naval architect or designs things on the fly. I don't say this easily as there are a few owners on here.

Determining the size is a great starting point. Even a foot longer is usually noticeably wider too. Space is a premium in a smaller boat, a bit more room here and there will make you happy. 17' to 18' doesn't seem like much but it is.

Do you want new or used? There is a healthy used market out there, plus the "season" is winding down for some, might be a deal out there. Are you looking south of the border as well?

I would pass on the Shadowline builder, one boat he built he had to take it back and build the customer a new one as he screwed up the self bailing deck to the point where he was doing band aid fixes to try to make it work, but he still had to take it back and build the customer a new boat. Not sure if he uses a naval architect or designs things on the fly. I don't say this easily as there are a few owners on here.
I originally wanted a used boat cause price is much more affordable, but I'm new and worry that I will brought a beated up boat and end up costing alot for fixing.

I love aluminum but they just pound in swell/chop vs fiberglass. If your spending that kind of money make sure you get suspension seats. Almost a must with those boats. Go with an 18ft minimum.

If you PM @Fish Assassin he has a silver streak. That would be my vote on the 18ft size in the salt. And they are local on island. Might eb worth a visit there. Also @Whole in the Water has one as well.

I love aluminum but they just pound in swell/chop vs fiberglass. If your spending that kind of money make sure you get suspension seats. Almost a must with those boats. Go with an 18ft minimum.

If you PM @Fish Assassin he has a silver streak. That would be my vote on the 18ft size in the salt. And they are local on island. Might eb worth a visit there. Also @Whole in the Water has one as well.
Yes. 100% agree. Owned a couple of Tin boats (Lund, Tracker, Hewescraft). They beat me up good. A little weight is good. Next boat likely glass boat (19-23’).

If you can find an aluminum boat with 1/4" bottom and 3/16" sides, they are heavy and ride well. Probably a used lodge boat, there are some around that are not beat up looking. Eagle, Bridgeview, Cope are local builders/designers to name a few.

Until someone takes the best riding aluminum boat and uses it as a plug for a mold to build an identical shaped and weight fiberglass boat, the answer of which rides better will never be known.

The thing to note here is Don did take it back and built him another. The forum member himself recommended Don even after the rebuild happened https://sportfishingbc.com/members/advthxance.9213/ this is the forum member mentioned
and I would check with him on what happened. When building a boat if the builder will correct any problems-that is what you need. It is a custom-not a cookie cutter!!

The thing to note here is Don did take it back and built him another. The forum member himself recommended Don even after the rebuild happened https://sportfishingbc.com/members/advthxance.9213/ this is the forum member mentioned
and I would check with him on what happened. When building a boat if the builder will correct any problems-that is what you need. It is a custom-not a cookie cutter!!
I am glad you are pleased with the end result, and if you recall, I was one of your cheerleaders as it was coming along.

If you know the builder well, does he use a naval architect or is it all on his head? Cookie cutter is one thing, but having a set of plans to go by and a computer system where you punch in changes, weights and requirements etc. and make the necessary adjustments before it’s finished is another thing. The other builders all do it.

Also check out Stabicraft, they have a dealer in Richmond BC.

NZ made boats.

Hello

I was using a 11ft dinghy with 15hp , now planning to upgrade to a 17,18 ft aluminum...wants to do some casual salt water fishing with family on mostly inlet or around galiano island,or just comfortably cruising around , looking into legend 17, 18 ft boat ...any one have any recommendations for this brand or other recommendations?
We are just wrapping up a 2050 centre console build with Lifetimer. We were originally planning on the 18' but bumped up to the 20'. They have been great at accommodating our personal touches. Their brochures list base prices, which should give you a ballpark idea of cost. They've got a sweet 22' cabin model being finished right now as well.... Happy to chat if you go down that road.

I am glad you are pleased with the end result, and if you recall, I was one of your cheerleaders as it was coming along.

If you know the builder well, does he use a naval architect or is it all on his head? Cookie cutter is one thing, but having a set of plans to go by and a computer system where you punch in changes, weights and requirements etc. and make the necessary adjustments before it’s finished is another thing. The other builders all do it.
He does use a naval architect. When I wanted to go from a 60 hp to 115hp he had to check with the architect to see if it would work and the guy came back with the ok saying it would only drop the water line 1/2 inch. Full set of plans was used-to start with-then lots of pencil changes along the way-my instigation!! LOL

Hello

I was using a 11ft dinghy with 15hp , now planning to upgrade to a 17,18 ft aluminum...wants to do some casual salt water fishing with family of 5 on mostly inlet or around galiano island,or just comfortably cruising around , looking into legend 17, 18 ft boat ...any one have any recommendations for this brand or other recommendations?
For a family of 5, I would go 18 foot or bigger with a cuddy, 22 would be better. It's tough to find a boat at under 22 feet that provide cover from the weather for 5 people.

The legend stuff are lake boats really. Short freeboard, carpeted everything usually, not meant for the salt water. Unless they have changed their lineup. I don't even pay attention to those kind of boats living in coastal waters.

Back