Re-Powering 18' Hourston

Dencope

Hey guys I'm looking at new pod power on my old Hourston...yes hull and transom are sound. What is reasonable power for this boat? I was thinking 150-175hp...any comments/advice is appreciated. Boat is probably around 1800 lbs.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys I'm looking at new pod power on my old Hourston...yes hull and transom are sound. What is reasonable power for this boat? I was thinking 150-175hp...any comments/advice is appreciated. Boat is probably around 1800 lbs.

Thanks in advance!
18 hourston is a great hull well worth repowering I personally think a 150 4 stroke is perfect

I have an 18' hourston with pod and 08 150 optimax. With an 18p 4 blade our cruise is 3700rpm @ 25knts top speed is right around 37-39knts at 5500rpm.

hopefully that helps

I have an 18' hourston with pod and 08 150 optimax. With an 18p 4 blade our cruise is 3700rpm @ 25knts top speed is right around 37-39knts at 5500rpm.

hopefully that helps
That sounds about perfect...thanks for the reply.

My 17'2 goes about 32knts at full throttle with the 75 merc on it not a clue what propellers on it

A 150 should scream!

I could be wrong but don't hulls have a max speed no matter what hp you put on them?

I could be wrong but don't hulls have a max speed no matter what hp you put on them?

Not entirely sure but I do know I'm not a fan of under powered boats. Had a 16' hourston before with a 40hp Yamaha 4stroke. Always running at high rpm but it sure was hard to beat the $50 fuel bill for a full day on the water.

i am also running an 18' Hourston with a pod. I put a 140 zuk four stroke on. Pretty ideal in my opinion. I am running a 24p prop, and cruise at 3800 rpm, 29 mph. I dog a bit getting on step with a full load (4 people + fish). WOT @ 5800 rpm I hit 39 mph.

Speed only makes you hit things harder and more often.

I ran a Double Eagle 17-6 with a pod for several years using a Yami 150 two-stroke. I never regretted having the horsepower for two reasons, first to get a heavy load up and on the step, and second in rough, steep Johnston Straits to lift the boat out of holes and over the next wave when going slow. Before that I had a Yamaha 200 hp two stroke on there I got for a sweet price, it was too much power for that hull.

Thanks for all the replys guys. For you guys with the pods do you have any advice? I'm currently looking to have one built in the south Vancouver island area. Thinking full pod with kicker bracket and cooler mount. I've had 2 quotes for $2500, is that the average price and can anyone recommend someone in my area?

I ran a Double Eagle 17-6 with a pod for several years using a Yami 150 two-stroke. I never regretted having the horsepower for two reasons, first to get a heavy load up and on the step, and second in rough, steep Johnston Straits to lift the boat out of holes and over the next wave when going slow. Before that I had a Yamaha 200 hp two stroke on there I got for a sweet price, it was too much power for that hull.

i'd agree with that, having to 2stroke torque to get you up and down in rough seas is a blessing. i have a 300 on a 21'7" and i think it helped me out couple times now.

Thanks for all the replys guys. For you guys with the pods do you have any advice? I'm currently looking to have one built in the south Vancouver island area. Thinking full pod with kicker bracket and cooler mount. I've had 2 quotes for $2500, is that the average price and can anyone recommend someone in my area?
I would go full width nice to have your kicker connected all the time and power tilt turn the key and your trolling!

As far as a fabricator to build your pod the prices are right around the ballpark i will send you a PM.

Back