Re power question?

Sasquach

I have a 19 ft double eagle that is in immaculate condition. The fellow I bought If off of practically gave it to me for what he had paid for the brand new merc pro kicker the year before complete with rods Downriggers the whole nine yards. The main motor is a 140 Volvo with a 280 leg. I fish the North coast out of kitimat and Rupert. I find the 140 to be under powered for trips Down the Chanel to the outside. And am thinking of repowering to a 5.0 or a 5.7 I have access to a low hr 5.7 chev for cheap I know I need to change everything for manifolds and everything wondering if it’s worth it for an old boat that’s in perfect condition and well setup.

depends on the age of the boat. I remember my dad saying: " the best thing you could give to your worst enemy is a free boat, that just needs a little work"
if the 140 is still in good shape, then id use that until its dead.
then evaluate the total cost of putting in a 5.7 to what you could just get a boat that already has the power you want. is the 5.7 a marine engine or from a pickup?

depends on the age of the boat. I remember my dad saying: " the best thing you could give to your worst enemy is a free boat, that just needs a little work"
if the 140 is still in good shape, then id use that until its dead.
then evaluate the total cost of putting in a 5.7 to what you could just get a boat that already has the power you want. is the 5.7 a marine engine or from a pickup?
It’s a new rebuild for a pickup with rv cam but four bolt mains it’s a heavy block. I know they run 5.7’s on 280 legs I was just planning on getting new internals for it and gearing it for the v8 I can’t find a better setup boat that’s more suited for the water I am running for less then 15000 or I would go that route. I know the marine engine run a bit different cam durations. I’ve heard people using both for either as well I just haven’t done it. The boat is a 86 but immaculate condition.

Marine engines are different than auto in alot of ways.
Valve seats hardened
Marine alternator enclosed to contain sparks
All the gaskets will be different
Frost plugs different
Distributor different
Cam overlap
Compression ratio
Carburetor marine
The list goes on.
Stay with marine engines. Don't try auto it won't last

Marine engines are different than auto in alot of ways.
Valve seats hardened
Marine alternator enclosed to contain sparks
All the gaskets will be different
Frost plugs different
Distributor different
Cam overlap
Compression ratio
Carburetor marine
The list goes on.
Stay with marine engines. Don't try auto it won't last
I was planning on changing frost plugs alternator Starter and distributor engine is free but maybe still not worth it... oh well I appreciate the info.

Wow that seems steep! on the south island you should be able to get a welded aluminum pod for $2500 to $3500 installed... Motor cost would depend on new vs. used.
So would his be bolted to the transom as opposed to fiberglassing it on?

The best way to pod is have an aluminum fabricator custom make one for the boat then powder coat to match the hull colour. Will be alot lighter than F/g and excessive weight is what you don't want in the stern. You will gain more fishing room without an I/o back there, quieter, lighter and better fuel economy. Also easy to work on and less shelf life parts to replace...manifolds, risers, universal joints, etc etc.

The best way to pod is have an aluminum fabricator custom make one for the boat then powder coat to match the hull colour. Will be alot lighter than F/g and excessive weight is what you don't want in the stern. You will gain more fishing room without an I/o back there, quieter, lighter and better fuel economy. Also easy to work on and less shelf life parts to replace...manifolds, risers, universal joints, etc etc.
Thanks for the info outboard does seem preferable. I will be contacting a fab shop about this I didn’t like the idea of the glassed on pod extension. Way out the back.

Back