Rapala Makes an Islander Knockoff

Yes, additional grease will tone it down, also once you have line loaded onto it that will muffle the echo. I love the sound of a screaming reel with a hog on the other end. :D

Searun

th_067.jpg

Yes, additional grease will tone it down, also once you have line loaded onto it that will muffle the echo. I love the sound of a screaming reel with a hog on the other end. :D

Searun

th_067.jpg

These reels are available at the new Wholesale sports in Nanaimo.Feels like a quality reel.299 sounds a little steep though.
Might be investing in one if the bills ever come to an end.

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by searun

Works better without flasher for sure, but I have been successful with larger fish while using a flasher. Best solution is a gun, but that would get my boat surrounded by green peacers. [}:)]

Searun

So, what's the problem?

Just be sure to bring extra ammo! [}:)] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

No problem, I'll just phone my pal Chad - he as the hammer...and surprise, surprise, surprise...no seal problem there no more :D:D:D

Searun

th_067.jpg

I thought I would pass long an interesting promotion for anyone looking to get their hands on a North Coast Reel for free. The contest runs from April 12 to May 10, so you basically have a month to enter to win. Good luck! :D

MoochingMadnessContest.jpg

Searun

th_067.jpg

Has anybody compared these to the Trophy aluminum reels. I bought a Trophy last year and preffered it over an islander. The cost is about 1/2 islander, comparable to the rapala northcoast price mentioned. Good deal for trophy reels at Barry's B&T.

Eastpoint

Fished it extensively last season with no issues whatsoever, and the best part is the drag/clicker sounds just like the old hardy reels...a sweet sound indeed.[8D]

Searun

th_067.jpg

Hey Searun thanks for posting the contest notice! I got a note yesterday from Rapala saying I won the reel:D

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

quote:Originally posted by eastpoint

Has anybody compared these to the Trophy aluminum reels. I bought a Trophy last year and preffered it over an islander. The cost is about 1/2 islander, comparable to the rapala northcoast price mentioned. Good deal for trophy reels at Barry's B&T.

Eastpoint

I also went with trophy last year. And in one year the drag went on it. I am a firm believer in the Islanders. Althoguh some of these knock offs are starting to look just as good. And some great feed back coming from the Rapala's. But as for the trophy I did not like the quality of the reel.

-Steve

Funny been running the same trophys for 5 plus years now and never had an issue with the drag must have been all them coho you were catching last year Steve[8D]:D:D:D

Wolf

Im not sure what went wrong with it. but the drag started to get choppy. Maybe it was faulty. The coho could be a part of it. Those buggers hit like a train!

-Steve

IF that was the case it sounds like you got the drag a bit wet all you have to do is wipe it all down and put some reel oil on it and it will be great again i do my reels at least once a month just because they get used a lot going up and down on the riggers and getting fish a bit of maintence on all your gear goes a long way.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I just got one; I haven't had a chance to use it yet! The drag does quite down once loaded with line, but not too much. Hopefully this weekend the weather will co-operate.

While I was in Calgary, I found them at the Wholesales sports there for $219.99.

I just received a couple for the showcase in our new shop and I think they look solid and ready to stand up to a lot of fish, but the drag sound is not my favourite, maybe a little too loud and tinny sounding. I have not loaded one with line or fished it so am not going to pass judgement but look forward to reading feedback on this thread, seeing as I have them for sale.

J.

Tofino B.C.'s most recommended Fishing Outfitter.
www.tofinofishing.com

Load it up with line, no comparison. The tinny sound goes away and it sounds like a Hardy drag.

Searun

th_067.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

Can these be ordered on line anywhere? I haven't been able to locate anything online.

Slabby....try this for their "dealer locator". You may have to call around a bit but someone may have one. I seem to recall someone recently saying on one of the Forums that Berry's Bait in Richmond may have had a few?

http://www.rapala.ca/dealer/index.php

quote:Originally posted by Slabby20

Can these be ordered on line anywhere? I haven't been able to locate anything online.

I got mine from Aquatackle (http://www.aquatackle.com/) in Sidney (before I found the one in Calgary), came with a decent rod too.
He doesn't have an online store, but I just e-mailed him and he sent it out to me.

Back