Rapala Makes an Islander Knockoff

I have a new Rapala Northcoast reel. I lubed the cork drag with proper lube as described in the manual, yet the drag constantly slips. Do I need more lube on it, or does it have too much?

I like the reel but I need to figure out how to stop the drag from slipping in the rod holder.:(

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

I have a new Rapala Northcoast reel. I lubed the cork drag with proper lube as described in the manual, yet the drag constantly slips. Do I need more lube on it, or does it have too much?

I like the reel but I need to figure out how to stop the drag from slipping in the rod holder.:(

Long live wild salmon!!!
><))))>

Get an Islander!!

Well I fished mine hard for two days and overall I think it's a great little reel that I'll be using as my stacker rod.
It fished great and had no problem landing a nice 25lber and had a few more fishes on it as well.
Too bad at the end of today the outgoing clicker spring popped off just like someone else mentioned on here earlier.
I'll put it back on myself again and if it comes off again I'll try and get the tackle shop to put a different spring on it.
I know it's only been a couple of days fishing but it really does feel like an mr2.

My sister-in-law brought it over from Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters in Langley. The sister store in Naniamo is supposed to have some more soon and the Army and Navy in Langley has a whole whack of them right now. I paid $229 plus tax for it, so far I think it's a great deal, I've run the Trophy's and the TFO's and Mahama's and finally Islander's MR2's and MR3's.
I'm gonna stick with Islanders MR3's as my main reels but for my stacker rod(s) these are great little reels.
Again the springs did pop off on the outgoing clicker but it's not that hard to fix and if I have to replace the spring entirely with one from another company that's still no biggie to me.
It played fish just fine and it feels nice and solid. :)

quote:Originally posted by Fish Nutz

The trophy 4.5 is a beauty! Just bought one today and used it, it's buttery smooth!

Gotta agree. Just used my new one for 3 sessions thus far in Kyuquot and I really, really like it. Had to get used to the sensitivy of the drag as you can almost wind up in a free spool if you're not paying attention, but other than that it's great.

As in Wolf's "conversion" thread.....I could definitely be interested in bigger handles but pretty happy so far.

just came back from ukee used my reel for two days and the spring snapped(actually broke off the post) heading back on friday for 2 weeks of hard fishing does anyone know off a place to get replacment springs or upgraded ones for this reel in the lower mainland. loved it till this happened havent had any issues with my trophys in 3 years

The reel works well until the handles fall off, a definite worry for me when you hook into a slab.
The arbor is to small and requuires to many turns to gain on a fish coming towards the boat, try fishing a fly reel and you will know what I am talking about.
The best thing that could of happened to me was when my fishing buddy was getting ready to hook up to the downrigger release clip and had a coho rip the rod and reel out of his hands into the drink. Too bad about the rod!!!! I purchased three at the start of the year and down to one that still can function as a back up.

I was just in a store today and had a fellow say that the first edition of these reels are being recalled due to a spring and drag issue. I've just emailed tech support to find out more.
My spring fell off one too many times and I finally left it off. The reel has continued to function abit with the lack of an outgoing clicker for weeks now.
I do like the reel for a stacker but I'm sticking with my MR3's for my main reels, especially when we go fishing as deep as we do on the inside, the larger arbour makes a difference catching back up to fish.

i got a north coast earlier this season and love it i loc tighted the knobs on and removed the the screw that holds the spring for the drag bell whisper quiet now. drag holds and doesn't creep or undo like the tfo's. overall i'm satisfied with mine.

i got a north coast earlier this season and love it i loc tighted the knobs on and removed the the screw that holds the spring for the drag bell whisper quiet now. drag holds and doesn't creep or undo like the tfo's. overall i'm satisfied with mine.

Ive been guiding with my trophy 4.5's. The knobs literaly fell out of one reel, the last knob while fighting a 38#. The drags are too sensitive as well. Ill be buying islanders next year.:(

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by holmes

yep outgoing clicker went on mine as well...maybe 4th time using it...is it hard to fix?....other than that i like the reel so far...thanks in advance....holmes*

what went? the spring?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Ive been guiding with my trophy 4.5's. The knobs literaly fell out of one reel, the last knob while fighting a 38#. The drags are too sensitive as well. Ill be buying islanders next year.-
Island fish lifter-

tried all knock off over the last 6 years TFO/Trophy's/Rapala's/Okuma reels-
3 years ago to the Islander MR-3 & have never looked back-They're the best reels out there-[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Derby

Ive been guiding with my trophy 4.5's. The knobs literaly fell out of one reel, the last knob while fighting a 38#. The drags are too sensitive as well. Ill be buying islanders next year.-
Island fish lifter-

tried all knock off over the last 6 years TFO/Trophy's/Rapala's/Okuma reels-
3 years ago to the Islander MR-3 & have never looked back-They're the best reels out there-[8D]

agreed

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by holmes

i guess its the spring?...still holds tension just doesnt click....clicks when i reel in but if ya werent lookin a fish mite take off and u have no idea...lol...holmes*

Dude, you have to take it apart! Youll need to take it apart from time to time anyway to service it.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I heard through a "bird" that LOOP is making a new mooching reel?

Maybe someone can chime in if they have heard different....but apparently it may be in the works? [8D]

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

Alrighty I mailed my defective reel (spring kept popping off on the outgoing clicker) off to the dealer and they just got it back to me. I guess it took a couple of weeks to get it and fix it. I took it apart and can see that they built a whole new set of parts for the clicker.
So far everything is holding up great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Older post, but anyone have anything more to add about the clickers?
Mine haven't even been on rods yet, wondering if I should just send them in for the updated springs that you got Haze?

Back