Radar wiring

Just bolted my radar dome to the hardtop and need to run wires into the hardtop to connect it all up. What is the best strategy for getting wiring through the hardtop without getting drips on my head?
Alan

Not sure what your wiring looks like but when I did mine I installed the dome onto a radar mount and sealed the flange of the mount to the roof with butyl tape and stainless fasteners. The wiring that passed through the mount I used a " Blue Sea System cable clam". I also used the same clam for when I passed the antenna wire though the roof of the boat. They work really well and have had no issues with it. They start around $20 each, depending on size, but are well worth the price. I got mine at West Marine but Trotac or any other Marine supplier should have them. Just make sure you follow the directions for drilling the hole in the rubber insert to the correct size.

I just did this the other day.

I drilled a hole to pass my radar and VHF wires through, used a clamshell, with the opening facing the stern. Once I had the clam screwed down, I pumped it full of silicone. Done and done. But I used a sea-choice stainless clam, at a cost of about $2 (steveston marine), for both my roof mounted wires, and my transducer wire at the transom.

one of these guys...

s16141_5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Statler, the Blue Seas device looks good. I do have my allround light and horn wiring to run as well. Are the Blue Seas cable clams suitable for that as well?
Alan

Did you run your radar and all other wires thru the same clamshell? As long as the "plugging with silicone" works and no drips..... sounds good.
Alan

I haven't leak tested it yet. But I trust the silicone behind my engine pod to not leak, so I have no problem thinking this will work just fine. They have different sizes of clams, but all I needed for the VHF and radar was a 5/8" hole and a 3/4" clam. One good pump from the caulking gun fills the clam. My boat is no Grady or Whaler by any means, just a hardcore fisher where function wins over fashion. Needless to say the clam still is a flush look and I'm happy with it. I can post a quick photo later as I am heading in to knock away on some more projects...

Thanks for the reply Statler, the Blue Seas device looks good. I do have my allround light and horn wiring to run as well. Are the Blue Seas cable clams suitable for that as well?
Alan

The size I used would more than likely work as well. There are other options. Just google West Marine, and look up cable glands. I have used abs bulkhead glands for smaller wires and they work well too. All depends on what you want.

Alan, here is how I mounted my clamshell to run my dome and VHF.

As well here is a link to the NMEA Summary notes for Radar and Antenna placement (as well as GPS, dual radar ect). Spacing is very important if you do not want interference with the radar. Don't forget that your dome must be high enough for the beam to clear the bow of the boat.

NMEA Link:

http://www.nmea.org/Assets/track 202 antenna placement.pdf

Here is how I mounted my wiring.

IMAG0330_zps67a14b79.jpg

Back