Questions Re Garmin GPS

TheBigGuy

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the Garmin Bluechart Americas software. If you purchase the Bluechart CD's can you transfer the chart information to a Garmin GPS unit. That would be a bonus if you could use the chart software on a laptop and also a stand alone Garmin GPS unit. That would seem a more versatile purchase than buying the map cards that are designed for the GPS units.

Also what is your experience with recent Garmin products. I was in a store the other day and they had no Garmin GPS units in stock. The salesman said all the 2009 Garmin GPS units had been recalled because of faulty chips. I had no idea they were having problems of that magnitude. I've owned several Garmin units and have been happy with them prior to this. Just makes me wonder if Garmin is the way to go for my next purchase. I would probably be looking for a combo unit.

I like Garmin products, but when it came time to spend the money, I went to Lowrance.

As far as I can see, Lowrance has better map detail. The map also comes on a chip - you don't have to download the charts from a computer disk.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

When you say the Lowrance has better detail, are you talking about the built in maps that come pre-programed into the unit. I really couldn't compare the base charts or plugin map cards as there was no current Garmin products to try. I just went to the Garmin website and I found that their 2009 BlueChart g2 Vision map cards have also been recalled. How do the Lowrance units with recent Navionics cards compare to the recent Garmin map cards. Sorry, but I really have nothing to compare them with.

My granfather runs the newer garmin and I run the lowrance. I like the detail of the lowrance better but the map coulouring of the garmin is nicer. I prefer the detail as it is more important to success!

Hope this helps.

-Steve

Thanks Steve.

Now, if someone could tell me if the Bluechart Americas CD charts are transferable to the Garmin GPS units that would be much appreciated.

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

When you say the Lowrance has better detail, are you talking about the built in maps that come pre-programed into the unit. I really couldn't compare the base charts or plugin map cards as there was no current Garmin products to try. I just went to the Garmin website and I found that their 2009 BlueChart g2 Vision map cards have also been recalled. How do the Lowrance units with recent Navionics cards compare to the recent Garmin map cards. Sorry, but I really have nothing to compare them with.

The maps you get on the chip is better. Lowrance uses Navionics charts. Garmin has made their own maps in-house and just do not have the fine detail that you will find in Navionics charts.

That's the one thing I don't like about Garmin - they like to keep things in-house and use proprietary plugs and connectors.

A few years back one guy was so p!$$ed off at Garmin that he made his own 4 pin connector. He left the machine for a few minutes and ended up with over a thousand of them! He sold them on the internet for about $4 each - Garmin was charging about $50 at the time.

TheBigGuy:

As far as I know, Bluechart is what Garmin uses in its GPS units - you just have to download it in with a computer - not fun if you don't own a computer.

Garmin does have some nice units out now, but so does Lowrance. The new Lowrance HDS units are something to behold. Check them out before making a purchase. I would love to upgrade to HDS myself.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Thanks Steve.

Now, if someone could tell me if the Bluechart Americas CD charts are transferable to the Garmin GPS units that would be much appreciated.
haha! I run both a Garmin 545s with the G2 chip and a Raymarine C70, with a Navionics chip, both are installed on my boat! I prefer my Garmin over my Navionics... ALL DAY LONG</u>! :D

Yes, Garmin did a voluntary recall on their 2009 version G2 cards, but if you go on their Website you can download any update for their units, and install via any standard SDK card. My card was not effected!

I find the Garmin has an advantage over Navionics in both visual</u> detail and visual positioning when it comes to GPS position and is a lot more user friendly, but Garmin does seem to lack some when it comes to the current sounders. If you are looking for position with detail... go Garmin! If you are looking for a good sounder go Furano! :D

Yes, the Bluechart is transferable, using any SDK card and THEY ARE NO LONGER proprietary</u> it is a real nice feature! It is actually used with Garmin's MapSource progam.

Picture of my Garmin Screen... and it is a very accurate position! [:X]
DSC01262.jpg

My Garmin tide chart!

DSC01264.jpg

And here is a picture made with Garmin MapSource, using Bluechart Americas, version 9.0

MidRock.jpg

Garmins recall: http://www8.garmin.com/bluechartrecall/

It's been said before. but you've got way to much time on your hands Charlie. :D But seriously, thanks all this info. Really helpful guys, much appreciated.

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

Charlie:

Question [?] - How did you put that green line near Black Rock on the Lowrance chart? Was it on the screen, or did you photoshop it in later?
Jim, It is an actual "track".

Which is one of the nice things about my Garmin unit; I can transfer all the GPS information (tracks, waypoints, routes, etc) back and forth from the unit and the MapSource program using standard SDK cards (which are now a dime a dozen). Modify the information, save it in different files leaving it stored on my CPU or store it on SDK cards. Then I only need to upload the data I need (or want) for a particular trip back to the unit. Frees up my plotter memory and keeps the screen a lot cleaner.

Which BTW, my</u> Raymarine unit (2003) has a proprietary Navionics card! And, I refuse to spend the money they are asking for it! And, I did note you thought it was a "Lowrance chart", that is because they all use the same charts and that is disclosed in their copyrights! Just like the above picture... Just different software! [:0]

It's been said before. but you've got way to much time on your hands Charlie. :D But seriously, thanks all this info. Really helpful guys, much appreciated.
Well, I am going to take all this time I have and take one extended fishing trip starting in about two weeks, so you won't have to put up with me for awhile! :D

BTW, back to the MapSource, if you have it loaded on a laptop? You can add a GPS receiver via UBS and it makes one "hell" of a chartplotter and your screen will look exactly like the bottom picture above! [:0] I haven't done it, but a friend of mine has and it is a neat system! He even hooked his laptop in a TV down below and can follow his course on the TV and change his chartploter from his helm with the click of his mouse! :)

You can download all of what you said to a lowerance unit as well charlie but dont ask me how to do it as its getting way to complicated for me LOL LOL. lets face it there all are great products and work evenly as there are both very accurate.
Personal preferance just like fords and chevys. but ill stick to lowerence LOL and my Ford, remeber it wasnt long ago we had the round "sounder" that picked up blips LOL.Fishing has/is getting way to complicated!!!!!!!

As for garmin they also took over the TR1 trolling thing and A buddy of mine has had nothing but grief with it.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

BTW, back to the MapSource, if you have it loaded on a laptop? You can add a GPS receiver via UBS and it makes one "hell" of a chartplotter and your screen will look exactly like the bottom picture above! [:0] I haven't done it, but a friend of mine has and it is a neat system! He even hooked his laptop in a TV down below and can follow his course on the TV and change his chartploter from his helm with the click of his mouse! :)

I already have the GPS receiver and have used my laptop for several years as a GPS locator. I loaded it with MS Streets and Trips and it makes a very nice GPS unit for travelling to strange parts. I thought it might be handy to use onboard also, or at least have the option with the Bluechart software.

Wolf,
You are 100% correct! And to be honest... I wouldn't touch a TR1! :D

BigGuy,
I take no responsibility for any of this information! But, you might find it of interest and will save you lots of time! [:I]

If you use MapSource 5.0, it should track without any additional programs! Garmin changed their auto-routing navigation beginning with MapSource programs above 5.0, so if you are run the current MapSource 6.15 and want auto tracking you will need to download the required nRoute software and that can be done directly from Garmin, it is here: http://www.garmin.com/software/nRoute_276.exe It is a free download and you can see if it will still works for you, but nRoute is a now a discontinued product. The link provided is the last version.

Their new product is Garmin Mobile PC (GMPC) found at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=139&pID=13484 or this is the actual program: http://www8.garmin.com/software/GarminMobileXTforWindowsMobile_42030w.exe I have not used GMPC!

Current Mapsource Version 6.15.6
Current Bluechart Americas Version 9

Just for giggles you made need this?
http://isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=Garmin

I have a handheld Garmin 60CSX and the bluechart software for the whole of V.I. I also have a JRC500 chart plotter. I never use the JRC except as a sounder because I love the Garmin GPS. The whole beauty of the system is being able to easily upload/download data from the GPS to the Mapsource software. When I am going to swiftsure, I have my course done at home in about a minute (no kidding) just mouse click out of San Juan, and click click click with the mouse and the route is made. I make about a dozen routes based on waypoints of successfull places from my other trips, and download it all to the GPS. Bringing back all my tracks and waypoints from the day I save them as a file on my PC and any time later I can review my whole day of boating. It is great.

By the way, with the bluechart software, you can load the data on a second Garmin GPS, so if safety is a consideration for you like it is for me, you can take two of the GPS's with you. I travel with an older 60CS as a backup.

Big Guy,
the 2009 Blue chart "G2 vision " which is the product that enables you to see underwater structure has been recalled, but you can still get the July 2008 issue. no problems with that one that i am aware of.

disclamer, i went with the raymarine c80 back in '06.

if i were making the choice today, i would first of all compare the map data being used by the various mfg's. they are different, they do offer options which are unique, so start here. secondly, i would be looking at display clarity. what is the pixel count? this is going to spread out the various choices from ok to stellar.

the mapsource chip used by ray is off a bit, maybe 500m or so, in my immediate area. of course you can correct this but as you change locations, you may find your manual correction to not apply as you are scrolling published chart data. this is the only frustrating thing i have found with the mapsource chip.

the features currently being offered are astounding, 3D bottom topography as an example. that said, you can spend more time staring at your chart plotter than running or fishing.

i also integrated an autopilot and can easily do routes and tracks, go to waypoints i have set or those aleady included such as buoys. shop, ask tons of questions, look at the displays, operate the buttons, see what you like and don't like about the various units being produced in today's market place.

also be cautious about 'integration' of other devices. what you are going to find is a bunch of proprietary interface protocols, not a good thing but something you will have to deal with. if all of these mfg's would stick to a universal standard, it would be a very good thing, but they are protecting their own market share instead. so don't assume you can by a garmin and interface a furono gizmo, as an example. ask about this, in detail before you plunk down your cash.

happy shopping.

I had and still have an older Garmin hand held unit, it would freeze up at least once a day. The only way I could get it working again was to unplug it or remove batteries. This caused a lot of confusion when using it to navigate, you can end up going in circles or in the opposite direction depend on the course correction it indicates when it locks up.
Not acceptable for a navigation device!

This time I bought a Raymarine A50 series, sofar so good.

Does anyone use the Platinum charts with 3D plotting when fishing to determine bottom structure. Do you think it helps and would you recommend that?

Thanks to all for really good advice. I will definitely wait till new models are in stock before making any decisions. I would like to compare the Garmin and similar Lowrance units, to see which is more to my liking. Thanks Charlie, for all your info regarding the Bluechart and mapsource software. My old Gamin unit had proprietary cards, which was a **** off. Especially as how they often change formats. If the new units can use regular SD cards with the Bluechart software that is a big plus in it's favor. That info may be enough to swing me around to the Garmin camp again. Guess I'll have to wait and see when the new units arrive.

Has anyone tried to sell their handheld Garmin with a Mapsource "chip"? I really like to use Mapsource on my computer and then download info from it to my handheld. I plan to sell my handheld with the "chip" but don't know if I can transfer the computer program to the purchaser. Any advice?

Back