Quadra Island for Salmon

marshal

Thinking about staying on quadra for a few days in the 1st week of August to do some salmon fishing (primarily trolling).

Have not fished that area before.... can anyone recommend fishing areas / locations?

Thank you.

Try the hump just south of cape mudge, or try just in front of the village,or try copper bluffs. Lots of luck.

That aswell, but you will want to fish the lighthouse on the ebb in the 180ft mark near the bottom, I think it will open by then. I've lived in the area for more the 20 years and bacially after Charlie's Live Bait dock shut down around 9 years ago people stopped fishing Copper Bluffs for the most part. I have not heard of any reports besides bottom fishing in a very long time. Most fishing at this time of year will be done up north, past Seymor Narrows at spots like Browns Bay, Deepwater Bay, Greensea Bay, Chatham Point, and those looking for a a day trip, Ripple Point. Hope this helps.

That aswell, but you will want to fish the lighthouse on the ebb in the 180ft mark near the bottom, I think it will open by then. I've lived in the area for more the 20 years and bacially after Charlie's Live Bait dock shut down around 9 years ago people stopped fishing Copper Bluffs for the most part. I have not heard of any reports besides bottom fishing in a very long time. Most fishing at this time of year will be done up north, past Seymor Narrows at spots like Browns Bay, Deepwater Bay, Greensea Bay, Chatham Point, and those looking for a a day trip, Ripple Point. Hope this helps.

ss: We'll be there (likely April Point) in 1st week of August with a smallish boat. For that time of year, and size of boat, is the northern parts you describe the best bet?

I run a 18ft boston whaler with a 60 yammy, and theres only a few time i've had to turn back cuz the narrows were ripping to hard, just make sure you go thru and come home around the slack tides and you will be more than fine, its very pretty country up there. Talk to the guides when you get in, April Point and Painters have like 50 boats so they will know where the fish are, it just might be hard getting them to tell you what is working lol. Greensea is becoming more popular as of late, but from april point its almost a hour run. If fish are at greensea there will be fish at browns and deepwater aswell.

what side of quadra you going to be on? if on the east side, an easy fish is around and in the scallop farm(the clearing just past the spit or patty's lagoon.. tonnes of bait have made the artificial reef there home. 70-90' spoons. run over to viner point.. 120-160' white or glow hootchies. a great trip is up through whiterock passage and upward towards Big Bay and past sonora island. great 2 day one night trip. denim bay at the flood, hope this helps

If you are on the inside and want to catch LOADS of pinks, that time of year will be HOT, HOT, HOT for pinks up through the narrows.

If you are on the inside and want to catch LOADS of pinks, that time of year will be HOT, HOT, HOT for pinks up through the narrows.
Good point-just be sure to have lots of ice and bleed/gut all your fish right away.

what side of quadra you going to be on? if on the east side, an easy fish is around and in the scallop farm(the clearing just past the spit or patty's lagoon.. tonnes of bait have made the artificial reef there home. 70-90' spoons. run over to viner point.. 120-160' white or glow hootchies. a great trip is up through whiterock passage and upward towards Big Bay and past sonora island. great 2 day one night trip. denim bay at the flood, hope this helps

As mentioned, I have a smallish boat that can be launched fairly easily. If I decide to trailer the boat onto Quadra, is there a launch on the east side, say at Heriot Bay? If so, would that get me into the fishing grounds you're describing?

Is there very good fishing (for all / any salmon species) south of the narrows - north of or near April Point, or further south?

Launch is at rebecca spit.. Catch a mid tide or better. The scallop farm is only five minutes south of the tip of the spit... Ya cant miss it

Back