Proposal By DFO - Changes to Prawn Daily Rec. Limit Being Considered

The way people will see this in the very near future is in Nation to Nation(FN & Canada) negotiations. FN will have a harvest number and Canada will have a harvest number. Canada's share will be dived between recreational and commercial harvest opportunities. At the moment we have nearly 300,000 recreational tidal licenses being sold annually. Each lic. represents an opportunity for harvest, even though effort may be negligible, the optics are real and unknown.
So can't they just do a prawn stamp deal to have better numbers? Maybe try that out first before making rash decisions.

I am certain that in this area, you will start to see positive change within the various fisheries because of the Reconciliation Table negotiation process which is between both Nations(FN & Canada) as sharing partners. Before FN were always left with what can we get before it is all gone...now the process is starting to develop resource abundance fostering with many of the FN communities as they partner with others. All the more FN communities that join the Reconciliation Table negotiation process the better and stronger it will become for both Nations(FN & Canada). It truly is the way forward.
Sounds like a wonderful new train of thought.

I am certain that in this area, you will start to see positive change within the various fisheries because of the Reconciliation Table negotiation process which is between both Nations(FN & Canada) as sharing partners. Before FN were always left with what can we get before it is all gone...now the process is starting to develop resource abundance fostering with many of the FN communities as they partner with others. All the more FN communities that join the Reconciliation Table negotiation process the better and stronger it will become for both Nations(FN & Canada). It truly is the way forward.
I think the recent rulings have been quite clear as far as priority goes
1) conservation
2) First Nations
3) commercial and sport fishers. I’m sure it could be argued which of these last two is 3 or 4.
I’m onside as long as Conservation always remains 1! I think all groups can support this!

This is all very confusing to me. At the start of this we are urged to support the SFAB response. We are asked to write letters expressing our disappointment and disapproval of DFO making these decisions with out data to back them. Etc!

Then we read on and we see posts here and on other threads highlighting the reconciliation process and suggesting things are not going to look the same on the management/ allocation front very soon.

By my interpretation of this, I am left wondering if there is any sense in trying to help protect recreational access until the new Playing field has been built?? Will there be any relevance to our concerns and disapproval of DFO’s decision once this all is in place? Are we heading toward having to pay the other sectors for access to these resources?

Ugh!!

Until DFO can show verified stats regarding the sport sector harvest rates...I suggest pushing to keep it at status quo like SFAC/SFAB has been directing.
I don’t think they are tracking harvest rates as such,as much as they are attempting to estimate the abundance through test fishery? Not sure though if this is only conducted prior to and during commercial openings, but if so maybe it should extend to a more frequent practise throughout the year for all manners of harvest? Might be a more accurate estimate of the health of the species?

Until DFO can show verified stats regarding the sport sector harvest rates...I suggest pushing to keep it at status quo like SFAC/SFAB has been directing.

DFO also needs to also show the year round effort and stats from First Nations fisheries. These are year round with no regulations in place. To me it's more damaging than the commercial fishery when fishing spawners. Just go to the Crofton area. Day in and day out its fished all year round by this group. Btw this restriction was suggested because a First nations band complained to DFO. It wasn't the commercials. It is the truth. Why cant First Nations fisheries follow same pulse fishery as recreational and same shutdowns? How can prawns recover without a rest? That is why some areas arent recovering. We know what the issue is but DFO keeps walking on eggshells not dealing with with it. It's a problem.

Last edited:
What many of you may not know is This was basically a done deal last year. It was Just not implemented. As far as FN or commercial being the ones to push it. My sources say it is 100 percent commercial driven and considering the source I will believe that.

Either way it is indefensible and should not be allowed

What many of you may not know is This was basically a done deal last year. It was Just not implemented. As far as FN or commercial being the ones to push it. My sources say it is 100 percent commercial driven and considering the source I will believe that.

Either way it is indefensible and should not be allowed

Not what we heard. Anyways it doesn't matter no data no reduction. We have to base decisions on data.

You are kidding right?
If not then you need to review decisions made by DFO!

Not what we heard. Anyways it doesn't matter no data no reduction. We have to base decisions on data.

I'd rather, given a choice - have a seasonal maximum per person... so leave it at 200 per day... more fair for those who can only getting out a few times per season..

Thoughts?

It really doesn't matter, no data no reduction. We have to base decisions on data. This is something that we need to remember always. Pointing fingers does nothing. The way forward for all of us is as how it shall be through nation to nation(FN & Canada) negotiations via the Fisheries Reconciliation Table. https://coastalfirstnations.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/CoastalFirstNations_factsheet__FINALX2.pdf

That is right data. Data for first nations, data for recreational, and data for commercials. Otherwise what are we doing? And pulse fishing, and closures are useless unless all groups do it at same time. Conservation first regardless.

Obviously. You must be above me some how. I have always spoken to you as an equal. My mistake. :)

What are you talking about Rob? Talking to you as an equal? I am sorry the opinion doesn't align with what you believe in. It isn't finger pointing. You take it wrong way but I will leave it at that.

Last edited:
You replied to my message like I am "not" for having accountable data and time closures for all sectors.

I responded Obviously to your note: That is right data. Data for first nations, data for recreational, and data for commercials. Otherwise what are we doing? And pulse fishing, and closures are useless unless all groups do it at same time. Conservation first regardless.

My mistake for assuming that you are above me, I apologize for my assumption. :)

Ok Rob. No harm done.

Another thought. Why not just make the rec sector play by the commercial rules. In that I mean make the mesh size larger. Then we are not catching the little guys.

Seems like a win win...

Some many other solutions than just cutting the daily in half.

Another thought. Why not just make the rec sector play by the commercial rules. In that I mean make the mesh size larger. Then we are not catching the little guys.

Seems like a win win...

Some many other solutions than just cutting the daily in half.
I think the downside of that might be the number of traps that would have to be refitted or tossed because of the change. Anyone with say Bauer traps would likely have to toss them. We’re talking tons of money. Perhaps though start by changing the specs for any new traps manufactured and hope people will be honest. I looked at the initial DFO post about action they’ve taken and one thing stood out. Essentially lowering the time the from when the fishery is closed for Commercials to remove their pots ( quit fishing) from a week down to three days. Now I realize these guys need time to recover their sets, but how about looking at giving notice to them prior to closure rather than after. How about test fishery throughout the year , outside the commercial fishery and if numbers drop close it until they recover? How about curtailing or limiting commercial fishing in urban areas? How about instituting pulse fishing in the fall and winter in more at risk areas? At least DFO needs to be actually looking at methods other than cutting sports fishing in half, while status quo for other users. If this much advertised “sustainable fishing” isn’t time for DFO to admit it and look at cuts if necessay, across the board.

Last edited:
Because DFO is not using science in their decisions, they are political.
Further, they have decided that they do not have to defend their decisions using science.

This has been going on for years, it is now just more blatant.

The reasons behind Victoria being hammered over their catch of the early run Fraser’s was political.

For there to be science, you need feet on the ground. Not behind computers with no actual field facts.

There is no science in regards to this change. This is politics and only politics will solve it.

Really please explain since you jumped in oh wise one?

Back