Proposal By DFO - Changes to Prawn Daily Rec. Limit Being Considered

https://meridianfarmmarket.ca/blog/bc-spot-prawns-meridian-meats/

“BC spot prawns are very popular in Asia, in fact over 90% of BCs commercial catch end up overseas. Most of the prawns are frozen at sea shortly after being harvested and then exported across the Pacific to Asia. That only leaves approximately 10% available here in BC!”

90% of the commercial catch’s “added value” is captured by shippers/wholesalers/processors/retailers/restaurants/etc. overseas vs virtually 100% of the sport caught catch added value staying in Canada.

Plus, the prawn season is what, 6 - 8 weeks long? Nice bonus for some, but a drop in the bucket (a welcome drop no less) for businesses handing the commercial catch once they come off the boat. I don’t know the numbers, but a lot of sport prawning is done in the salmon/halibut off season and spreads out cash to business throughout the year.

I have no problem with there being a properly managed commercial season, but back to the point of this thread, the proposal from the DFO needs to be based on science (i.e. if we need to rebuild prawn numbers, all sectors need to do their part), and not based on assumptions just to transfer catch from one sector to another.

Good info thx.

So--- did ANYONE write the Minister telling him to back off these harmful proposals ? I see a whole bunch of comments on this thread-- but if you dont let DFO know how you feel , you are just wasting time commenting here. Thus endeth the lesson......
Yup! Eagerly awaiting for the requested reply.

View attachment 42703 This is part of the response I received from Andrew Thompson

The funny part of that response is that they state fishing effort has increased. Yet as far as I am aware they have not provided the SFAC any information about recreational fishing effort or the conservation status on the prawn biomass.

This is also another letter where they claim they are in active consultations with SFAB, yet the SFAB letter a few posts above say they were barely consulted and really just informed.

This is not the first letter i've seen where the department touts that its in consultations with the sports fishing advisory board either. I sent one on a different topic and it used the same tone about being in consultations with the SFAB.

This is the email list of most of those in DFO Pacific who have responsibility for at least some aspects of our recreational shellfish harvesting. If you are sending an email to express your concern about how we are being treated-- please make reference to the SFAB paper. The Minister should receive a snail mail as well as electronic. And importantly, request a reply so they have to respond-- otherwise your letter will most likely get deleted after reaading.

The Honorable Johnathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries and Canadian Coast Guard,

< Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >

Minister’s Office

200 Kent Street

Station 15N100

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0E6

Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca ( Regional Director-General)

Laura.Brown@dfo-mpo.gc.ca ( Director, South Coast)

Colin.Masson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca (Director, North Coast )

Jeff.Johansen@dfo-mpo.gc.ca Regional Shellfish Manager

Andy.Thompson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Neil.Davis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Brad.Breith@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Carole.Eros@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Stephen.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Juanita.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

John.Webb@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I penned a letter this morning CL. Sorry for the delay but I was rather disheartened by the flack i recently took from sports fisher men while attempting to promote the gofundme page on social media.

I see that Andrew Thomson replied to Ryan's letter. I initially screwed up Thomson's email on my previous addy post. The correct email is <Andrew.Thomson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> If you are sending a missile to DFO please be sure to ignore my previous screw-up and use the correct one.

The funny part of that response is that they state fishing effort has increased. Yet as far as I am aware they have not provided the SFAC any information about recreational fishing effort or the conservation status on the prawn biomass.

This is also another letter where they claim they are in active consultations with SFAB, yet the SFAB letter a few posts above say they were barely consulted and really just informed.

This is not the first letter i've seen where the department touts that its in consultations with the sports fishing advisory board either. I sent one on a different topic and it used the same tone about being in consultations with the SFAB.

"area23 -4 "

Opens April 1 the past 3 years , the commys come in and mop up the area first week of May , sportsfishers dont come til June ,
more pressure ? when ? who ?? guys that try after the commys pull out ,
ask me where are the prawns ? its done for 3 or 4 months min ,
DFO asking to reduce numbers from where ??
its a waste of time after May 10,,,total joke....

fd

"area23 -4 "

Opens April 1 the past 3 years , the commys come in and mop up the area first week of May , sportsfishers dont come til June ,
more pressure ? when ? who ?? guys that try after the commys pull out ,
ask me where are the prawns ? its done for 3 or 4 months min ,
DFO asking to reduce numbers from where ??
its a waste of time after May 10,,,total joke....

fd
Same as area 24. It gets good late March thru April and then early May about 30 Commie boats wheel in and clean them out

When you all write your letters make sure you let them have it, but make it to the point and with facts.

Have a look at this letter from the Northwest Fish and Wildlife Association. This was very well done.

2018-11-27 N.W. F&W letter to minister Page_1.JPG 2018-11-27 N.W. F&W letter to minister Page_2.JPG

When you all write your letters make sure you let them have it, but make it to the point and with facts.

Have a look at this letter from the Northwest Fish and Wildlife Association. This was very well done.

View attachment 42758 View attachment 42757
Thanks for posting this SV. My reading on the process is that we have only until the end of the month to submit a letter before DFO drops the anchor on us.

I am sure anyone who has written in has got the stock replay by now. Don't let discourage you the corresponds adds up and is important, Make sure when you email to also include your address as they self addressed the replay to you and also include a bunch of random file numbers. There is a lot that annoys me with the replay but one thing that I find particularly annoying is they seem to be implying that we should lobby though the SFAB. If that's the case the SFAB should tell them to go shove it! Despite also requesting evidence to back up their claim that recreational pressure is increasing I did not receive it.

upload_2019-1-23_12-52-40.png
upload_2019-1-23_12-53-3.png

I am sure anyone who has written in has got the stock replay by now. Don't let discourage you the corresponds adds up and is important, Make sure when you email to also include your address as they self addressed the replay to you and also include a bunch of random file numbers. There is a lot that annoys me with the replay but one thing that I find particularly annoying is they seem to be implying that we should lobby though the SFAB. If that's the case the SFAB should tell them to go shove it! Despite also requesting evidence to back up their claim that recreational pressure is increasing I did not receive it.

View attachment 42820
View attachment 42821
Got the exact same one today. Will be following up with a Thank you for sending a form letter on behalf of the Minister. I think perhaps a formal letter is the only way to go here to avoid the Gatekeepers.

The paragraph below says it all IMO, hard to not think the decision wasn’t already made. The lack of mention of any other user group says it all. Anyone know what year Pulse Fishing was instituted? Need it for my next letter.

“While interest and participation in recreational fishing has increased dramatically in recent years, numerous features of the recreational management regime for recreational prawn fisheries have not changed in decades. The proposed management measures for these fisheries are intended to respond to changes in fishing effort as part of the precautionary approach DFO takes to ensure sustainability of the fishery.”

Last edited:
What ever the rec sector leaves behind gets mopped up by the commie fleet.

No additional prawns left on the ocean floor in the name of conservation.

Perhaps I’m wrong.

I heard a roomer today that DFO might back off the reduced daily limit due to push back from the sports fishing sector. Anyone else hearing this?

Back