Prop Painting

Baxter

I had an oops last year. Grazed some mud and “sanded” my prop blades. (Pic below). So I picked up some prop paint and primer and am fixing my oops.

Questions
Question is, should I also clear coat it? Or is paint and primer enough? I suspect I will have to paint annually, but that’s okay.

Sanded a bit more after that first pic and before primer. Have about 6 coats of primer and 6 coats of paint. Figured more is probably better, but the salt will probably still make it look like crap after the first few uses.

Pics of progress for fun.

It’s funny how the finished paint job almost looks silver in the photo. In person it is very black and looks brand new.

F74F6C66-3B76-4505-B9AC-9A906C8DAE57.jpeg
B10BBE83-6ADB-4C2F-AED2-67DC085C2CA6.jpeg
164F3E0F-3E1A-484E-8451-36B7C1055B66.jpeg

Last edited:
Never painted a stainless prop. Just give it a polish and a coat of wax.
It was new painted. After my damage it was rusting. Thought about stripping all the paint and polishing, but that seemed like way more work than sanding and repainting. Plus if it came new painted, I imagine Yamaha painted it for a reason.

Probably 304 stainless I guess. Not familiar with Yamaha props. Hopefully it all works out for you.
Ya, I’m not too worried about it. Just too bad I can’t replicate the original paint job - but for that it was probably powder coated and baked on or whatever other fancy wizardry they do that I can’t DIY. :D

Back