Problem solving 101?

seagal

I'm having a problem with my dummy flasher set up and my typing:D Well, I'm just going to have to live with the typing.;) The flasher problem I'm hoping to get some help with! I've been experimenting with dummy flasher set ups. I've used Wolf's information from a prior post but my flashers are seriously scratched on the top front end. Off my flasher swivel, I'm using a shampoo snap to a beaded chain swivel, to a ten foot leader off the down rigger. I'm experiencing no tangling, just scratching on the flasher.

Any advice would be appreciated.

It could be from the high speed when lowering your cannonball? It could be rubbing on the wire, try going down a little slower? Just a guess.

TT

Are you bouncing bottom with it as mine does the same thing but I know Im scraping bottom with it especially over time its almost bare infact.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Thanks Wolf! Totally makes sense. A little scuffing isn't going to hurt when your slaying the smilies!:D Guess you guys can start calling me the bottom bouncer;) Thanks guy's for the tips!

Seagul, you don't need your flasher on a 10 foot line. Your flasher will have a huge roll and will catch the bottom if your anywhere close to it, long before your cannon ball.

I have my dummy flasher leader no longer than 4 feet. That's all it takes to make a full circle for the flasher. The other thing about a shorter leader is you only have to come up 3 or 4 feet above the ball to hook up you first tag line to your rod.

The other trick is to only have your lure 6 to 8 feet behind the main line. It would be the same as having it on your rod on a leader of 6 feet. The dummy flasher is an attractor so running you lure back 30 feet like some guys do is not working as good.

Well cod father I have to question how a flasher is going to make such a big turn its only 11 inches long???I have about 10 ft of 80 lb test mono from the flaher to the clip have been doing this technique now close to 15 years and clip my downrigger clip 4 ft from it and send back my lure about 4 or 6 ft behind the flasher (guessing)
so if that flasher is making such a big turn me thinks i would tangle evey time it can only turn double the length of the flasher so ill say at most a 2 ft radius.

I run it ten ft back for one reason and one reason only to stay away from the kicker motor as I dont want a flasher spinning that close to my kicker.

Wolf

Wolf, how often do you use a dummy flasher setup?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Mostly in the winter with a really light noodle rod to enjoy the figt of just a fish in summer hard to do as theres too many boats around and a lot bigger fish to try and control

Wolf

quote:Originally posted by codfather

quote:Originally posted by wolf

When you are bored and have nothing better to do, and if you really want to see a flasher rotation and something interesting, take a Hotspot flasher tie it on 4 feet behind the ball, drop it down 10 feet and watch the rotation. It will rotate in a very tight circle. Take the same flasher let it out 10 feet behind the ball, drop it again to the same depth, and watch the rotation again! You will see the rotation is still the same, but in a much larger circle. Now let it out 30 – 40 behind the ball. You may or may not be able to see the rotation, but you will watch it break the surface, as the circle is much larger. That should answer any questions about flasher rotation!

PS… I think Wolf's flasher length will out fish a 4 foot length most of the time! But, what ever works... works! :)

Hey Seagal, thanks for coming by and introducing yourself yesterday at the Comox launch. It is always a pleasure to meet forum members and in case nobody has mentioned it, welcome to the forum! I hope to see you out on the water soon. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Marks on the front of your flasher, is from hitting the bottom for sure. Capt Downrigger, I have always thought about putting a lake gang troll on the ball,as an attractor,what have been your results? Tight Lines,........BB

Wolf, it's not that the flasher is going to make that big of a turn. So your right, it would catch your top line everytime.

The problem with having a long line to the flasher is if you are 10 feet back with the flasher and 4 feet above to where your lure is attached and let your cannan ball down fast then it can get tangled.

I don't fish bait, so when I let my line down it's full speed ahead.

Yes Wolf, I to have had the flasher go into the prop. Mostly on a very tight turn when someone was checking gear. So how I stopped that was to have my auto stop placed where the cannon ball and dummy flaser are 2 feet below the prop.

Now here is the next question. What falsher do you think works the best for a dummy flasher????

I just use glow in any color mostly white though I personally dont think down 140 ft they are going to see a green or red fringe but glow they will as its "glowing" LOL.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

Marks on the front of your flasher, is from hitting the bottom for sure. Capt Downrigger, I have always thought about putting a lake gang troll on the ball,as an attractor,what have been your results? Tight Lines,........BB

More noise! More fish! Just make sure to use smaller willow leaf blades or your blowback will be exagerated. Sometimes I will double the length by adding an additional lake troll.

This works extremely well in the winter when bait and fish are scattered during large tides. Those blades seem to really draw the fish in.

If you want a good trick to add to the arsenal, try running a plug cut herring or 'chovie about 20 to 24-inches behind a Ford Fender.

www.CaptainDownriggins.com

Back