plug techniques

10 fathoms from wire to plug, 2 or 3 fathoms above dummy flasher
I fathom on your dummy if you run one at the lead
No such thing as a certain speed, some days they like it fast, some days slow
In general, bigger 6 or 7 inch plugs do select for bigger fish
brighter coloured plugs in dirty water, toned down colours in clear water
If you aren't catching on one plug change it up ( it can even be the same colour ), for whatever reason some plugs just fish like hell and others are like dragging around a stick
I can't stress this enough, make sure your hook is sticky sharp!

Fathoms...there's a measurement I haven't seen used in a while!

Does anybody use plugs around the Vancouver area?

X2 on not pulling the pins right away.. If a plug fishes well with the tow bar in... Leave it that way !! In all seriousness, How many plugs have you lost to breaking fish off ? I would say , Of my powerboat plugs, I'm about 60/40 for not pulled pins vs pulled.. Rowboat plugs are a different story... The Louies never had pins to start with and are all Bead Chain plugs.

CRGreg

Takeaway from this thread is run plugs however you want. With/without bar, fast/slow, long/short to the clip, with/without dummy flasher, etc. They all catch fish.

FWIW, I’ve had great success running plugs 8’ - 10’ back from the clip and 2’-3’ above a dummy flasher on a 3’ leader (with tow bar in.)

Chinook will hit plugs going 6mph when they're feeding, but you can also get them at 2.5mph. A 6" plug at 4mph is making about as much disturbance as a flasher at 2mph; I don't use a dummy.

Factory plug hooks cause a lot of damage to fish faces. I pull the pins, and run tandem 4/0 octopus hooks. Hooks up fine, with even better hookups on 15lbs and up fish (i.e. the ones you want to land). Much less blood than those huge Siwash hooks.

Last edited:
Back