Privatizing the water out of our coastal creeks and streams

Rockfish

If you don't like the privatization of our halibut, you may not like the privatization of water from our coastal creeks and streams. Forget that the salmon and trout live in it. Once it can be bought and sold we are creating water lords/US Corporations who will be selling it to the highest US bidder. Thirty years from now easily accessible pure coastal water will be worth a fortune to the desperate drying and dieing US market. Once they have a foothold, they will bring the political pressure to expand and take more and more, after all, by then they will own it.

http://www.timescolonist.com/techno...eme+bottle+water+from+more/4239903/story.html

Environmental groups raise alarm over scheme to bottle water from more than 40 B.C. streams
By JUDITH LAVOIE, Timescolonist.com February 7, 2011 Comments (4)
•Story•Photos ( 1 )
.Photograph by: ., .A deluge of connected applications to extract water for bottling — from more than 40 streams around four remote inlets on the B.C. Central Coast — has prompted a flurry of requests for a full provincial environmental assessment.

The applications, now individually under consideration by the Natural Resource Operations Ministry, envisage taking about 112,000 litres a day from each of the streams. The water would then be barged to Vancouver and bottled.

"With 40 or more streams involved that's an industrial operation by anyone's definition," said Lannie Keller of the Friends of Bute Inlet.

"But that ministry is looking only at each individual application and not the entire project."

Although three numbered companies and two First Nations — the Kwiakah First Nation of Campbell River and Da'naxda'xw Awaetlala of Alert Bay — are named on the applications, the common thread is William Chornobay of Langley, who could not be contacted Monday.

"They are all part of a single scheme," said Arthur Caldicott, an energy analyst and writer who has researched the applications for the publication Watershed Sentinel.

"It's a unique phenomenon. We've never seen anything like it before, even during the boom in bottled water in 2007. . . . We have no idea how these are being assessed by government," he said.

Between 60 and 70 water-use licences have been issued by the province in the past, but many have either been abandoned or are not fully used, Caldicott said.

All recent applications are around Jervis, Toba, Bute and Knight inlets.

As the applications are connected, the cumulative environmental effects — rather than the effects of individual withdrawals — need to be studied, say the Campbell River Council of Canadians, Friends of Bute Inlet, Sierra Club Malaspina, Sierra Club Quadra Island and Sunshine Coast Conservation Association. All have asked Environment Minister Murray Coell for an environmental assessment.

"The effect of one may be limited in scope. But if you allow dozens to happen, the environmental effects are multiplied and take on a new character," Caldicott said.

It is almost impossible to find out what the big picture looks like because information is scattered and there is no overall consideration, Keller said.

"This is very concerning. It's a matter of great public interest. We need to know more so we can take a good hard look at what is going on with Crown resources," she said.

"People have a lot of concerns about water these days."

It is not even known how many skiffs will be out collecting water at the same time, Keller said.

Andrew Gage of West Coast Environmental Law said the scope of the projects shows there is need for further public consultation.

Public submissions were accepted until late January for some individual applications, but the public was being consulted about the wrong project, without information on the overall effect, he said.

"The impacts of any individual licence may well be nominal, but the project as a whole may nonetheless have a significant regional impact," Gage said.

Coell and Natural Resource Operations Minister Steve Thomson were not able to comment Monday.

jlavoie@timescolonist.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

We are currently seeing the privatization of all food and water resources. What's next - air?

With a little luck there will be Giardia found in the water, just sayin......

yep ive got my eye on it here in gold river as well, the ucona, ahaminqas creek and the heber river all have been whored out to ppl for ipp's, the companies are all canadian owned apparently...holmes*

They may be Canadian now but we have a Free Trade Agreement remember. What is to stop the rights to our water being sold, it is all about profit for a few. The fish no longer own it, we no longer own it, they own it.

Something that is in the system as being applied for; your time to act is narrow. Keeping an eye out for the end result is too late! Start the campaign today.

Once again the government has sold out the Canadian public without them knowing it. If anyone cares to read the Free Trade Agreement between Canada and the US, although its twice the size of War and Peace, you will find a section regarding the international sale of our water. We are not talking about bottled water here, but the whole-sale rerouting of waterways in Canada to a polluted or drought effected US. Why do you think the Dam on the Kootenay River is in Idaho? It is easy to shut off a water source, drain it, and not allow it to benefit the population or peoples and environment down stream.

You can bet that in the future that there will be a much larger problem knocking on the door.

Bottled water proposal doesn't need environmental assessment, First Nations say

BY JUDITH LAVOIE, TIMESCOLONIST.COMFEBRUARY 8, 2011

A map of the water licence applications.
Photograph by: ., Timescolonist.com
A proposal to pull water from remote streams along B.C. Central Coast inlets doesn't need a full environmental assessment because the project will use "the most environmentally conscious method ever used in B.C.," says a spokesmen for the two First Nations behind a recent string of water licence applications.

The Kwiakah First Nation, most of whose 19 members live in Campbell River, and the Da'naxda'xw/Awaetlala First Nation of Alert Bay, with about 200 members, have applied to the province for 34 licences to bottle water from streams around Jervis, Toba, Bute and Knight inlets.

Some are in partnership with numbered companies, which were involved in initial applications. The proponents were persuaded to let First Nations take the lead, said Frank Voelker, Kwiakah band manager and economic development officer, who hopes the bottling plan will generate a secure income for members.

But the flood of applications has alarmed environmental groups, who are asking the province for an environmental assessment on the overall impact of the proposals instead of each application being considered individually.

Opponents do not appear to understand the light footprint of the extraction, Voelker said. One skiff will work in an area where there are several licences and, with a flexible hose, will take water from each stream and transport it to a barge.

It is hoped that once the water licences are granted, two plants — one on Vancouver Island and one in Vancouver — will bottle the water, Voelker said.

"Then we will leave and no one would know we had been there," said Voelker. "There won't be an armada of barges or skiffs leaving Campbell River harbour every day."

Multiple licences are needed because the skiff needs the flexibility to move around different streams or waterfalls based on conditions, Voelker said.

Water will probably be taken from only a handful of streams each day, he said. Most applications are for 112,500 litres per day from each stream.

Some licence applications have already been abandoned because preliminary environmental assessments showed extraction could affect fish stocks or water flow, said Sarah Bowie of Sigma Engineering Ltd., the company working with the bands.

Hydrology tests have been carried out on each of the streams, Bowie said. "We have dropped the ones where there is any potential significant impact," she said.

Natural Resource Operations Minister Steve Thomson said all applications are evaluated on an individual basis, but the cumulative impact is considered for each stream.

"It's important to recognize there's a very careful process here . . . Decisions will be made after careful review of each application," Thomson said.

The amount of water is consistent with previous applications for water bottling, he said.

Environment Minister Murray Coell has asked the Environmental Assessment Office to review the information "and advise on whether or not a review of this nature is required or recommended," said ministry spokesman Colin Grewar.

jlavoie@timescolonist.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Interesting to read the sales job by the proponents for this project.

What concerns me the most is the thin edge of the wedge aspect of this. High quality drinking water is in short supply throughout much of the world. The human population is 7 billion and exploding. When I was younger it was 3 Billion. In the future wars will be fought over water much as they are now over oil and when it comes to quality water (non-polluted, soft and easily accessible), BC is Saudi Arabia. The water in our major rivers is already loosing quality because of pollution, water leases and flow restrictions. It is these streams and creeks that are our future reserves, not only for the fish but for our children. Water exports from our streams will grow, ever increasing numbers of barges will unload into ever increasing numbers of tankers and quickly they will not be going to Victoria or Vancouver to bottle. I suspect they will be going to California as bulk sales.

Good strategy on their part to cut down on opposition and add some legitimacy to this project by bringing in a couple of first nations bands.

This quantity of water is only necessary for bulk export; why so much? They seem to be downplaying the amount of water they will take and state “water will PROBABLY be taken from only a handful of streams each day…”. I doubt it, they will take every last drop the licenses allow and that they can sell at a profit, otherwise their shareholders will not be happy. There is no guarantee that the water will ever see a bottling plant in BC, stay in BC or that the leases will not be sold.

Why are we relying on the assessment of the proponents to decide which streams water can be extracted from without significantly affecting the fish or water flow? Sure they have abandoned some license applications because of this, but not many. It is not like they do not have a vested interest in the outcome of their assessments.

Why are we willing to give long term water leases? What will this water be worth in 40 years?

Why are there apparently no safeguards that will permit the cancelling of the leases without cost to protect the fish or water flow if necessary or if the water is needed in the future for BC children? Could this even be done if we need to under the Free Trade Agreement?

Is there a future where we have to buy back our own water for the then current market value?

Why is our government so intent on ramming this through ASAP?

Last edited by a moderator:
No environmental study???
I hope they are taking the water very close to where it hits the ocean...... and not the close to the head waters.....?
Why don't they grab the dam overflow witch was on the agenda first.....They didn't allow a mass export of our water then... so why it is cool when they take it now?.....Need more info on this project myself... I don't see much difference than a irrigation pull out right now as that has already F'd many streams not to far(and far) south and in our area.

If anyone wanted to get anything done the first ones you need is the FN on your side.... I cant imagine why they would have interests in this :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
rockfish i have been reading the free trade agreement, could you please direct me to the section(s) that would cover water leases and water in general, please, and could you please explain to me or direct me to where i can find the info to figure out what you mean about canceling these leases and such if we needed to, or will we even be able to under nafta...thanks in advance, i am extremely curious and need to inform myself a lot more, youve more than perked my interest and i need to read up some more....holmes*

Sent you a Private Message holmes

Interesting to read the sales job by the proponents for this project.

What concerns me the most is the thin edge of the wedge aspect of this. High quality drinking water is in short supply throughout much of the world. The human population is 7 billion and exploding. When I was younger it was 3 Billion. In the future wars will be fought over water much as they are now over oil and when it comes to quality water (non-polluted, soft and easily accessible), BC is Saudi Arabia. The water in our major rivers is already loosing quality because of pollution, water leases and flow restrictions. It is these streams and creeks that are our future reserves, not only for the fish but for our children. Water exports from our streams will grow, ever increasing numbers of barges will unload into ever increasing numbers of tankers and quickly they will not be going to Victoria or Vancouver to bottle. I suspect they will be going to California as bulk sales.

Good strategy on their part to cut down on opposition and add some legitimacy to this project by bringing in a couple of first nations bands.

This quantity of water is only necessary for bulk export; why so much? They seem to be downplaying the amount of water they will take and state “water will PROBABLY be taken from only a handful of streams each day…”. I doubt it, they will take every last drop the licenses allow and that they can sell at a profit, otherwise their shareholders will not be happy. There is no guarantee that the water will ever see a bottling plant in BC, stay in BC or that the leases will not be sold.

Why are we relying on the assessment of the proponents to decide which streams water can be extracted from without significantly affecting the fish or water flow? Sure they have abandoned some license applications because of this, but not many. It is not like they do not have a vested interest in the outcome of their assessments.

Why are we willing to give long term water leases? What will this water be worth in 40 years?

Why are there apparently no safeguards that will permit the cancelling of the leases without cost to protect the fish or water flow if necessary or if the water is needed in the future for BC children? Could this even be done if we need to under the Free Trade Agreement?

Is there a future where we have to buy back our own water for the then current market value?

Why is our government so intent on ramming this through ASAP?

Well you do understand that this is all about money?
You do know that your governments are giving water rights to the F/N in their agreements and when they get them they do not have to ask for permission to sell them or damn them and sell water to whomever they wish.
Just like the land, they can build whatever they want on it and they do not have to ask for any permission for say high rises.

Going to be fun in the future.

Back