Prawns and Crab

Wildhootchy

My first trip to WCVI this season will be the last weekend of June and the first few days of July. In the past, I have always just fished. I've never dropped a pot of any sort. This year I would like to try dropping some Prawn and Crab pots to see if I can get enough to have a meal on the boat one night. I will be staying in Robbers Passage and would like to know if there are any places fairly close where I can drop my pots and at least have a chance to get a few. I'm not asking anyone to give up their secret spot/honey hole. If I could just get some basic information as to areas nearby where I might have some success. Also, what is the bait of choice for Prawns and Crab? I would appreciate any help/advice that you can give me.
Thanks!

Across from Robbers on the Poett Nook side there are always a ton of prawn traps. They are outside of the opening to the Nook but towards Bamfield a short distance. I haven't dropped there but the Nook people do well.
Sarita Bay is not a bad place for crabs but a quite a few traps seem to go missing there. Watch the tides when you put them out as it gets really shallow. You could find them high and dry if you aren't careful. I'm sure other people can give you some
more ideas.

Wild One,
Baddog gave good info, I've personally done real well over by the Nook. And you can't do better than Sarita for crabbing, just watch your traps. 100 -130 ft for crabs. Another good spot is just on the south side of the San Jose Islets right on the way to the Sarita. Drop in about 300 ft and you won't miss. Can be a bit of a bugger if it starts blowing out of the south, but then in front of the Nook is good, again 300 - 350ft. Also see traps up along the east side of Tzartus, near the green can. Never tried there. I have stayed at Robbers on several occasions, but never tried crabbing right in the passage. Don't know why it wouldn't be good as long as you were out of the traffic lanes.c

Good Luck and enjoy.

Cheers from the Crew of Stress Medicine

Good spots given! :)
Sarita get in shallow (50- 60 feet) with some heavy weight or leave enough line on as the tide will carry the traps to deep water = lose crab pot. You can leave 200 feet of line on. If you do, put a sinker on it about 20 feet or so down to keep it out of my props. :)

Both need bait that last. Bait gone = they gone. They will leave the traps!
Prawns - Tuna cat food or commercial pellets
Crab - Chicken and/or Turkey. Fish heads and scraps.

m2b

pls dont leave 200ft in 50-60 ft , a sinker will NOT drag down all the slack obviously , : )
creates havoc for others pulling there pots , a VERY HIGH traffic area... you will eventually lose ur trap to a prop....
I got Prop noosed twice there last season ( floating line )

i know a diver that collects them every year !!!! unfortunately the owners id floats have been sheared off ,

sorry if i'm mis - understanding what u were saying Charlie , u normally are Lord : ) ( theres not much current there , its a bay - on average )

fd

m2b

pls dont leave 200ft in 50-60 ft , a sinker will NOT drag down all the slack obviously , : )
creates havoc for others pulling there pots , a VERY HIGH traffic area... you will eventually lose ur trap to a prop....
I got Prop noosed twice there last season ( floating line )

i know a diver that collects them every year !!!! unfortunately the owners id floats have been sheared off ,

sorry if i'm mis - understanding what u were saying Charlie , u normally are Lord : ) ( theres not much current there , its a bay - on average )

fd
X2

I agree about the tides in the bay - not much tide in there... and NO, I surely didn't mean 200' in 50-60 ft of water, which is the reason I mentioned the lines in the props! Nothing like having to remove that floating line from my shafts and props. I meant to use the heavy weights and longer lines in the deeper waters (e.g. on the outer edges of the bay). There are some nice crab in 100-150' of water there, and that is where you need to watch those tide changes.

I actually lost a pot once due to a strong tide change, years ago that I wasn't expecting that much of a strong tide. Tide got it and down it went, as I watched. I couldn't get back to it in time. Since then I actually carry extra weights, weighted line, and will even double float the pots in that particular area.

There, did I clean that up? Also, now wondering if your friend found and if I can have my VERY old pot back? Just kidding! :)

Back