prawning dummies!!!!

J

jjmoffett

i am going to winter harbour for a five day fishing trip. should i even waste my time messing with prawn traps(considering i have never prawned before) or should i buy some traps and give it the old college try?????[?]

If you decide to Prawn... this might be of use! :)

WinterHarbourCrabandPrawn.jpg

A couple of my commercial buddies are in that area right now. It is getting hammered pretty hard right now. Prawns have been hard to find and that is with 300 traps in the water. Good luck!

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Charlie, where did you get the prawn/crab charts? Are they home brew?

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com
I make them. I guess that is one advantage of growing old! [8D]

Over the years, I have fished the entire WCVI and had the advantage of collecting a LOT of information and it is fairly easy to plot on the charts.

They are based off Mapster (which is surprisingly accurate) and Garmins MapSource.

quote:Originally posted by spring time

hey charlie do you have one for bamfield or barkley sound

Here you go!
Crabbing & Prawning in that area... is usually pretty good! :)
Prawning is better towards Alberni Inlet! That's no secret! :D

If you run offshore southeast of Tofino... you will see pot after pot of commercial crab pots! Really good out there!

The other spot I like for crab is out of Bamfield, in the area marked just east of Cape Beal! :)

I usually have my fill of crab by the time I pass Port Renfrew! [:0]

CrabPrawnBarkleySound.jpg

Leave the traps at home, you will need that space for bringing all of your huge fish back. Bring more coolers instead. I have found there to be a lot of hagfish(slime eels) there, what a huge mess. Crabbing used to be spectacular there but the sea otters have moved in thick and crabs are hard to find without running way up the inlet. You only have five days, this is probably not the best place to experiment with prawning for the first time. I'm going the second week in July with lots of coolers and no traps. Good luck.

that is some great info! now im really confused. if it was not for the pressure to bring prawns home from my wife and son i would just say #@!* it, or maybe i should just save the money i would have spent on traps and buy some on the way home?????? anybody know of a good spot to buy some for the way home????

quote:Originally posted by jjmoffett

that is some great info! now im really confused. if it was not for the pressure to bring prawns home from my wife and son i would just say #@!* it, or maybe i should just save the money i would have spent on traps and buy some on the way home?????? anybody know of a good spot to buy some for the way home????

If you really</u> need to catch some prawns... go up the inlet </u> in the areas shown, usually the farther in the better!

IMHO, It really depends on the commercials and their take... but, I have to agree... If I were you, unless you know what you are doing, I would find and plan to buy some on the way home!
[:0]

It's up to you but it sounds like a pretty long run to get to the areas that would be worthwhile prawning. That's a long time without some rods in the water, not to mention the money saved on prawning gear that could go somewhere else:D

i hear yah chad! thats the new plan. buy a costco sized bag of prawns still whole. take em outta the bag freeze them in plastic containers and then take the money we would have spent on traps, ropes, pullers,ect. and go to the peelers![}:)]

jjmoffett, I'm going to try prawning & crabbing while there, have more then 5 days, so time will not be wasted. Also would like to fine some oysters. Know lots of places in Nookta Sound but not WH, but maybe some one in WH will steer me in the right direction. Tight Lines,........BB

okay boyz its one year later.....after pretty much getting skunked in winter harbour(prawns wise....we caught 3) we are headed to bamfield. trying a 2 pot set. just want to know if this is correct........1st pot no weight with prawn bait and caryle cat food... 70ft later another pot with the same bait and 5lbs of added weight then 400ft of line attached to a basketball sized buoy....is this correct? not looking for anyones honey hole just wanting to know if we are fishing correctly. any help would be appreciated! the swamp donkeys!!!!!

hey dogbreath i forgot to mention we are pulling the traps by hand witht the use of a scotty trap puller> dont you think 20lbs is a little over board on weight? mind you im just a rookie hoping to be effective pulling the least amount of weight! lemme know!

By fishing better I meant they won't get dragged all over hell's half acre by the tide/current if they're weighted down.

Traps don't fish well if they're skipping along the bottom @ 3 knots.

I used to sell Crab/Prawn gear and some of the people who thought their gear was stolen just dropped it over the side into the tide race and kissed their investment goodbye.

Something like this which enables you to use your boat engine to raise traps is an excellent investment-a certain fisherman from Campbell Riverwho posts here turned me onto these years ago there are a few different types on the market.

http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/stor...andard-Anchor-Puller-by-Ironwood-Pacific.aspx

is.aspx

Back