prawning dummies!!!!

weight down as you described, use leaded line so your 400 is not a giant float, prawning has been very spotty ( no pun) ,, hit very hard by commies this year... why not use your float and a pully or d ring and use yer boat to pull them up?

I've wondered about the effectiveness of using an anchor puller. Do the little critters escape while you are circling back to pickup the line and traps?

I've wondered about the effectiveness of using an anchor puller. Do the little critters escape while you are circling back to pickup the line and traps?
No-that's a common misconception.

I've hauled right beside people who were grunting away by hand and yields were identical.

I pull with the boat but just use a small stainless ring which gets pulled over and past a short piece of bent rebar lashed to the rope just ahead of the trap. Once the ring passes the rebar it will hang up on the outward bend in the rebar when you cut engine power and the trap tries to drop back to the bottom.

hey dogbreath i forgot to mention we are pulling the traps by hand witht the use of a scotty trap puller> dont you think 20lbs is a little over board on weight? mind you im just a rookie hoping to be effective pulling the least amount of weight! lemme know!

I think you could get away with 2lb first trap and 10lb second trap. Unless you've got 3 knots or more of current, then you'll want some more weight. But personally, I wouldn't want to be hand bombing 2 traps and 15lb of weight in a current. Not worth it. Drop a single trap and make it easier on yourself. 1 trap should still pull 100+ in 12 hours if you find a mass.

Shoot some chovie oil on the prawn pellets night before. I also throw in some salmon scraps to make for a good ole smorgsbord.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys! after talking it over with the guys on my boat who are actually going to be pulling the traps we have decided to stick with the single trap. with the option of pulling possibly twice a day.

Back