Prawning cleanliness

Brett83

Is there a good method of getting the oil pellets to the location and in the trap without getting oil everywhere. I've thought about freezing the pellet holder. I use a can of pellets and a can of cat good or prawn bait. Any suggestions

I’m not a very successful prawner but I mixed it up in ziplock baggies ,put the bag in the orange screw together bucket then cut remove bag just before I loose my trap;-)

Is there a good method of getting the oil pellets to the location and in the trap without getting oil everywhere. I've thought about freezing the pellet holder. I use a can of pellets and a can of cat good or prawn bait. Any suggestions
Put a plastic bag over the bait holder while transporting. Should work.

Grab a piece of cardboard from your marina recycling bin and place it underneath your traps. Let it catch the excess oil and then put it back into the recycling bin when you are done at the end of the day.

I premix in plastic pail and lid then preload the cups before I head out. I have 3 sets of cups and just make the transfer when I'm out prancing and leave traps out

Get a 2 gallon bucket with lid from Canadian tire load your pellets oil and cat food in it the night before put the lid on and shake it around well. Use the bait containers as scoops out of the bucket they only need to be about 50% full as they will swell once they get into the water. I scoop and attach the container right before I drop each set only takes a moment. A little saltwater and dawn in the bucket when your done you can again lid on and shake to clean it out and then use it to transport your prawns back home.

Last edited:
I do everything the day before for 12 traps I put 6 tins of cat food and then with a empty cat food container measure 6 prawn pellets into a ice cream container then pour in oil overnight it all soaks into each other then while sitting up one tin goes into each bait cup which is about half full. It doesn’t leave a mess in the boat

A good pair of gloves especially for winter prawning helps quite a bit. These are the ones I use they last a long time can be washed and keep your hands warm and dry I have a few pairs on the boat always.
7109BD52-DE66-48F8-817A-0E4A0E6644BB.jpeg

Back