Prawn Trap Thieves Still At It!

Fishing Guide

Cheers All,

As reported earlier by Sculpin I had two sets of prawning gear stolen off Flat Tops during a charter today. Each set had two commercial prawn traps spliced to 500' of 5/16" along with a kellet down 80'. Total value of the gear was in excess $500.00 :( Both sets were on Polyform A-1 floats - clearly marked with my name and phone number in huge script - and set in 350' of water.

Sad thing is this charter was a re-do from 3 weeks ago when this client was out and we watched our traps being taken in front of our faces. We never got there in time and we never got them back.

So...in 2 trips lost close to $750.00 in gear! Does anyone want to know my opinion on thieves? Or the comments of my guest: Are all Canadians thieves? :(

Tomorrow morning's chore: splice up another 4 new prawn traps. Oh...and we didn't catch any salmon as we ended up spending an hour searching all the traps in the area. And I have to provide a third charter for my guests.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Thats brutal. People around here are low. I'm scared to even let my traps out of sight with the amount of shady boats i see around here.

Did you get any description of the boat you saw taking your traps? I am thinking the binoculars with the digital camera built in could be a good investment for you. If it were me and possible, I would be tempted to follow them back at a distance to their marina or boat launch while on the cell phone to the police and also ID mark all my equipment not just the float as they may just toss them over if they think they are being watched. Sounds like the same guys who will not stop till they get caught and are no doubt selling them. The must have balls, not knowing if the guy who set them is out there or how far away he is, unless they know your boat. We are all starting to pay more and more for this kind of thing as the insurance companies are really paying attention.

Hey FG,

I was fishing in Howe Sound yesterday. Set two prawn traps out. Someone definitely lifted and cleaned them. I have 350 feet of rope plus they're weighted. We placed them in 300 feet of water and they were moved into 200. The way the traps were closed was different to the way I usually do it as well. Takes some of the fun out of the day, when some loser does this to you.

On the 19th Mar last friday, I saw an Alaska bound tug and barge pass my house in Campbell River, and it had three large red floats on the front chains of the barge. There was also one red float stuck on the rear corner of the barge. I wonder how long he was towing those floats and traps? The owners are thinking maybe someone stole them? Lots of traps are picked up by tugs towing log booms and barges. There is no way they can avoid them.,........BB

That sucks.....Not to long ago I had 4 new stainless crab traps,bait cages,rope and floats stolen...not cheap ...I for one will never leave my traps now.

These might not of been traps? I think the front ones are put there so the crew can easily reach the cable if need be and the one in the rear i see all the time? could it be to mark the rear of the tow?

quote:Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

On the 19th Mar last friday, I saw an Alaska bound tug and barge pass my house in Campbell River, and it had three large red floats on the front chains of the barge. There was also one red float stuck on the rear corner of the barge. I wonder how long he was towing those floats and traps? The owners are thinking maybe someone stole them? Lots of traps are picked up by tugs towing log booms and barges. There is no way they can avoid them.,........BB

The floats in the front were on the chains just where they enter the water from the barge, no way they could hold up that chain if it broke loose from the tug. The float at the rear was caught right on the port side corner of the barge, not to be confused with the large scotchman that is always towed about 50' or so behind the barge attached to a rope.,......BB

My buddy used to work for chemainus towing,and they used to snag prawn and crab traps all the time on the booms.

Yes unfortunately most "stolen" traps are simply hooked in barges or booms.:( The only alternative is to try to find somewhere out of the normal commercial vessel traffic lanes.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Some floats are also accidentally run over by boaters and the rope is cut off. I admit I did it once running into the setting sun on a choppy day. I made up for it last summer fishing in Barkley Sound. I found a rope floating on the surface with no float while trolling by Fleming Island. Pulled the trap to recover it. I was going to leave it on the dock at Poet Nook with a note. A little ways away I noticed someone pulling a trap. I thought I'd ask if he'd lost one. Turned out he hadn't, but he said his buddy had the week before. He said his buddy found his float on the beach but didn't find his trap. He got on the radio and just so happened his buddy was steaming by. His buddy pulled up and identified the trap as his and thanked me for returning it.

I guess that proves they're not always stolen when they go missing. In this case at least there was a happy ending.

Had 2 traps stolen on one of my lines on Sat in Uchuckleshet Inlet. Middle of day. Girlfriend said she saw someone stop near the traps but didn't mention it at the time to me. They cut the line just below the bouy - clean cut so it wasn't a run-over.
Can't believe the balls of some people.

Back