Possible closures to fishing, MPA’s

I looked at the existing MPAs, and there are areas within that allow for recreational and commercial fishing.

So I don’t think these will be blanket no fishing zones.

I looked at the existing MPAs, and there are areas within that allow for recreational and commercial fishing.

So I don’t think these will be blanket no fishing zones.

The giantttttt one they just put in on east coast that does not allow drilling etc but does allow fishing counts towards Canada’s Ocean protected area (13% now) so that answers my previous questions.

They can allow fishing in MPA’s and can still count towards the dumb, non scientific 25% goal

they can but ENGOs have shown hook and line fisheries to have impacts on any thing from glass reefs to bird to Killer whales.

I just got back from a national water conference. It's looking bleak, we are screwed. Newest science shows that climate models predicted for 2100 will be here already 2050. Forget 2 degrees warming, there are parts of Canada that are already 4 degrees warmer and might go up to 9 degrees. With each degree air can hold 7% more moisture - you do the math! Scientists call it atmospheric rivers that will form and completely alter the way the water cycles function. Droughts, floods, glaciers gone - our marine and freshwater ecosystems will dramatically change in the next few years. MPAs will look like a joke compared to these impacts. A lot of what we have cherished will disappear.

Last edited:
I just got back from a national water conference. It's looking bleak, we are screwed. Newest science shows that climate models predicted for 2100 will be here already 2050. Forget 2 degrees warming, there are parts of Canada that are already 4 degrees warmer and might go up to 9 degrees. With each degree air can hold 7% more moisture - you do the math! Scientists call it atmospheric rivers that will form and completely alter the way the water cycles function. Droughts, floods, glaciers gone - our marine and freshwater ecosystems will dramatically change in the next few years. MPAs will look like a joke compared to these impacts. A lot of what we have cherished will disappear.

Great....:(

Yeah. Ill believe that when I see it. Not sure if you remember the “models” from early 2000’s that said a ton of things that still have not occurred. I remember a few saying not to buy ocean front property as by 2025 would be under water, and polar ice caps gone by 2014 etc

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...mgiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7qkFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5563,4123490

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ummer-ice-cap-as-early-as-2014/1#.XcRZ7iV6qEf

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2005/oct/12/naturaldisasters.climatechange1

Last edited:
Yeah. Ill believe that when I see it. Not sure if you remember the “models” from early 2000’s that said a ton of things that still have not occurred. I remember a few saying not to buy ocean front property as by 2025 would be under water, and polar ice caps gone by 2014 etc

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...mgiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=7qkFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5563,4123490

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ummer-ice-cap-as-early-as-2014/1#.XcRZ7iV6qEf

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2005/oct/12/naturaldisasters.climatechange1

Btw, just curious, as a guide have you started to see a decrease in the average size of the salmon your guests are catching? It was sure evident at Langara and the west side of Haidi Gwai.

When you see it? Didn't you see the fires last few years in BC and California? Extreme droughts? Or the historic floodings in the BC interior or east of Rockies? Noticed the Cowichan along with other east coast VI rivers have been almost dry for A YEAR now? You think these are all coincidences? Arctic had lowest ice cover on record, Greenland half thawed. We are already in it and it is just the beginning. Time to wake up even though there is little we can do to stop what is already in the pipes. MPAs will inconsequential for our future fishing experience.

Yes and there is nothing we can do that will effect the climate for the next 50 years its already baked into the model and even then we are not going to cool it’s only going to be stabilized at some much higher temperature ture then today and that’s if we went carbon neutral tomorrow.

So...unlike the climate, MPA are
Going to happen tomorrow and is something we do have some control to deal with in our live times.

Not to mention Canada only contributes 2% so it’s something that has to be done by world leaders not by a few people on a salmon fishing forum

Last edited:
Getting back on track, the article WMY linked to in post #5 also states this; “Trudeau said Canada has already exceeded the marine goal with almost 14 per cent of Canadian coastal waters protected, and was on track to meet its land preservation goal.
The protected ocean areas went over the 10 per cent goal in August with the addition of the Tuvaijuittuq Marine Protected Area off the coast of Ellesmere Island in Nunavut, which covers more than 5.5 per cent of all Canadian coastal and marine areas.”

Having exceeded the initial marine goal of 10 per cent, with no appreciable impact on fishing areas here, it may be possible to achieve the remaining 11 per cent in a similar fashion. RCAs are de facto MPAs, IMHO. Also, Gwaii Haanas National Marine Conservation Area and Scott Islands National Wildlife Area should be included in the equation. Then there is the offshore Pacific hydrothermal vents Area of Interest; https://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/oceans/aoi-si/offshore-hauturiere-eng.html which could make a significant contribution to the new marine goal of 25 per cent. Protecting all these areas and adding them to the percentage would have minimal new negative impact on recreational fishing interests.

Maybe I’m out to lunch but, looking at the big picture of the entire Canadian ocean territory as a whole, I think the possibility of achieving the stated national goal without significant negative impact on recreational fishing areas is there.

Last edited:
The MPA network planning process is an important initiative for protection and maintenance of marine biodiversity and ecological representation in the Northern Shelf Bioregion. It is an initiative established through a tripartite governance agreement between the Government of Canada, the Province of British Columbia and 16 First Nations. A draft MPA Network design scenario, comprised of a map of areas proposed for conservation and a series of proposed management measures designed to protect conservation priorities for the region, was shared in February 2019 with non-signatory First Nations and in early spring 2019 with stakeholders.

Sites and management measures that comprise the draft scenario have not been endorsed by the governing partners. The draft network design aims to maximize ecological and cultural benefits, while minimizing social and economic impacts. It a starting point for further discussion and it is important to recognize there are opportunities for further analysis and refinement.

Ongoing collaborative work between partners, First Nations, local governments and stakeholders will be important in moving towards a refined network design. Five advisory committees have been established to represent stakeholder interests throughout the Northern Shelf Bioregion in this planning process. Network advisory committee members have been briefed on the draft design scenario and are currently engaging their constituents on the draft design. Capacity funding was provided to the commercial and recreational fishing sectors to support an industry led review of the draft network design.

The Marine Planning Team (MPT) and the Commercial Fishing Caucus (CFC) received funds to engage with the commercial fishing sector; and the Sport Fishing Institute (SFI) received funds to engage with the recreational fishing sector. Meetings with recreational fishers meetings took place last spring, and commercial sector meetings are taking place this fall. The deadline for input on the draft Network design scenario is January 30, 2020. Governance partners will consider all input received from Indigenous groups and stakeholders and anticipate sharing a revised network design for further later in 2020.

Public engagement is anticipated to focus on the revised Network design scenario. . More information on the MPA Network process can be found at: http://mpanetwork.ca/bcnorthernshelf/ or by contacting: info@mpanetwork.ca DFO Contacts – Karen Leslie (Regional Manager, Marine Spatial Planning, North Coast) Karen.Leslie@dfo-mpo.gc.ca , Sheila Creighton (Integrated Oceans Management Advisor) Sheila.Creighton@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

First please advise the amount of funding that was given to each group, when and what the money was to be used for.
Where did the money come from and is there further money coming?

Where can one find all the meeting minutes taken to date?

I am sure there are more questions that need answers

The MPA network planning process is an important initiative for protection and maintenance of marine biodiversity and ecological representation in the Northern Shelf Bioregion. It is an initiative established through a tripartite governance agreement between the Government of Canada, the Province of British Columbia and 16 First Nations. A draft MPA Network design scenario, comprised of a map of areas proposed for conservation and a series of proposed management measures designed to protect conservation priorities for the region, was shared in February 2019 with non-signatory First Nations and in early spring 2019 with stakeholders.

Sites and management measures that comprise the draft scenario have not been endorsed by the governing partners. The draft network design aims to maximize ecological and cultural benefits, while minimizing social and economic impacts. It a starting point for further discussion and it is important to recognize there are opportunities for further analysis and refinement.

Ongoing collaborative work between partners, First Nations, local governments and stakeholders will be important in moving towards a refined network design. Five advisory committees have been established to represent stakeholder interests throughout the Northern Shelf Bioregion in this planning process. Network advisory committee members have been briefed on the draft design scenario and are currently engaging their constituents on the draft design. Capacity funding was provided to the commercial and recreational fishing sectors to support an industry led review of the draft network design.

The Marine Planning Team (MPT) and the Commercial Fishing Caucus (CFC) received funds to engage with the commercial fishing sector; and the Sport Fishing Institute (SFI) received funds to engage with the recreational fishing sector. Meetings with recreational fishers meetings took place last spring, and commercial sector meetings are taking place this fall. The deadline for input on the draft Network design scenario is January 30, 2020. Governance partners will consider all input received from Indigenous groups and stakeholders and anticipate sharing a revised network design for further later in 2020.

Public engagement is anticipated to focus on the revised Network design scenario. . More information on the MPA Network process can be found at: http://mpanetwork.ca/bcnorthernshelf/ or by contacting: info@mpanetwork.ca DFO Contacts – Karen Leslie (Regional Manager, Marine Spatial Planning, North Coast) Karen.Leslie@dfo-mpo.gc.ca , Sheila Creighton (Integrated Oceans Management Advisor) Sheila.Creighton@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Back