Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

Hey big guy,nice to see you help out supporting locally I use the term rarely loosly iam sure you get the luggist of what iam saying,i guess your up there here and there ,thats great i was referring to the people who are there everyday not weekend warriors, thats why we have earned or whatever term you want to use in getting a spot on the dock ,i spend that amount every fricken day

No probs, I fully understand where you're coming from. Just thought I'd set the record straight, lots of people from the marina do support the establishments in town. With extra transient tie ups in town, I think they would see a huge increase in foot traffic to their businesses. I know I would go there way more if I could tie up and hit the store, pub or restaurants.

Hope those big Cohos show up soon for those guys still fishin in Renney. I really enjoyed the time fishing there over the last year, you've got a great place over there.

BTW, don't ever let them install cell phone towers there. It's the remoteness of the place that I enjoy the most. It's like being in a different (and better) world over there. No stop lights, trafic jams, sirens, cell phones, or other city annoyances. Except the odd clown who activates his car alarm. Maybe you could pass some bylaw that car alarms are forbidden. Then it would truely be paradise.

Better enjoy it while you can, it'll start changing, then where do you go for some peace and relaxation? Alaska

BTW, don't ever let them install cell phone towers there. It's the remoteness of the place that I enjoy the most. It's like being in a different (and better) world over there. No stop lights, trafic jams, sirens, cell phones, or other city annoyances. Except the odd clown who activates his car alarm. Maybe you could pass some bylaw that car alarms are forbidden. Then it would truely be paradise.

Better enjoy it while you can, it'll start changing, then where do you go for some peace and relaxation? Alaska

Hi BigGuy

I understand the desire for remoteness however i found it incredible this year to be able to communicate by text while fishing offshore Ukee with a good friend who was at the 15000 foot level of Mount Kilimanjaro on his way to the summit. So there I was 9 -10 miles off shore WCVI and there he was in Tanzania - the other side of the globe texting back and forth. Both areas pretty remote but with cell service. It was also kinda cool to be able to make a call from offshore to a fishing buddy from who was in Vancouver after catching my first Tyee of the year to announce "Hit Em Hard boat just went Tyee".

I guess this is the upside.

H.E.H.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO TRAFFIC JAMS!! I remember one day having to wait for 2 maybe 3 cars to go by before I could leave the general store parking lot! WOW! And believe it or not a few years ago had a police chase go right by our place over by Botanical. The only thing I could not figure out is why the RCMP did not set up a road block on the road as they headed towards the park instead of chasing the guy with two cars. The guy had nowhere to go, lol.
Overall though Renny is such an awesome place to summer and certainly a total contrast to Merritt. Now what about that COHO report someone!lol.

Optimist , I just deleted a great rant.

I remebered that you couldn't possibly know who you are talking to here , so you must be generalizing.

Just remember before you cast stones...... you don't even know who I am or how I may have supported your business in the past.

All I said was , it would be nice.....

HL

Optimist , I just deleted a great rant.

I remebered that you couldn't possibly know who you are talking to here , so you must be generalizing.

Just remember before you cast stones...... you don't even know who I am or how I may have supported your business in the past.

All I said was , it would be nice.....

HL

I agreed... I have done it with a small boat a once... It was sweet to fish camper for the evening... Pull up in a sliver on the gov dock and run up for dinner a few bevies and test drive the chefs (first) smoked salmon.... Deke pot floats through bay and back up the gordon in the dark.

Would be nice to see a few "15 minute" zones

Yippy,their on the way to our neck of the woods!!!

anyone seen or heard dogger (terry) around?

Is there a way to get river height info?
Looks like a low tide tomorrow and want to confirm that I can get through.

Thanks,
Tips

TYPICALLY 3' or less you are screwed.Underscore typically. If you are unsure of your draft and the area, I would go with 4' and follow a like boat out. 5:30 on you look ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
No river height info that I know of. The depth of the lower river is highly influenced by the tide. The higher the tide the better and the deeper the river mouth and estuary. To transit in the Gordon from the Port Renfrew Marina past the mouth you need a tidal height of at least 1 metre (depending on the draft of your boat) if I remember right. There are folks on this forum that will have way more precise info than I on this.

Back