Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

Thanks
Familiar with the area and the river.
I draw next to nothing.
Just wondered if there was a place to get river height as there is for other rivers.

Thanks for the info.

Tips

Fished Renfrew Tues/Wed off the Can bouy and out deep (400ft-700ft)..... A few coho around but not great for us... pretty slowwwwww! Hope it picks up soon...

No place for river height. The river height actually has NOTHING to do with getting out of the marina, it's all tides. You can get hydrographic information for Harris Creek, which is similar drainage, but the river has nothing to do with getting out, it's simply not big enough to affect the estuary except when it's raining so damn hard you wouldn't fish anyway.

Fishing real slow on the inside yesterday for hos. Decent fishing at 500-600ft but mostly wild fish.
80-90ft was best for us with white hootchies most productive.
Beauty day with big rollers.

Tips

Wow hope the water lays down a bit . Today there was 10 ft breakers at the river mouth. Had to cancel my trip. Laperous was 23ft and neah bay was 18ft . Gonna try again in the am but me thinks it will be another no go.

C'mon, where's your sense of adventure ... couldn't punch it out between sets? Kidding! That's scary stuff when it goes bad.

I think you'll be ok tomorrow though ... South Nomad buoy has dropped from peak of 33' last night at 7pm to 14' now. I bank on a 12 sec swell taking approx 18 hours to get from S Nomad to here ... so my guess is La Perouse will be max 9 or 10' tomorrow am, and probably small or flat at the rivermouth. Of course I've been wrong once or twice before. :)

And pics, where are the pics?

Trevor,

Wise turn around, for sure! This was a remnant of a tropical storm that did damage in Japan...no wonder the " surf is up" I'm guessing the rain has moved the coho, we probably need to wait for the north Island fish to work their way down??

Hey " theb55" I'd like to know when the 'shrooms are going to show up too.

traveller

Theb55 Those coord. put you on Triangle mtn...shrooms, i thought R.C has carved up most of the hill :confused:...SS

Hey Bananas. You may still have a problem getting out of the river tomorrow. Surf forecast is 3 to 4 meters at Port Renfrew tomorrow (compared to a forecast of 6-7 meters today). Good luck. Let us know how conditions turn out to be tomorrow. We are holding off coming to Renfrew until Friday to ensure that this huge surf is long gone.

Good luck

Jimbob

Get on the wet suit and get out the board..surfs up. Bet there were lots of boards in the water.

Wow hope the water lays down a bit . Today there was 10 ft breakers at the river mouth. Had to cancel my trip. Laperous was 23ft and neah bay was 18ft . Gonna try again in the am but me thinks it will be another no go.

How were the waves on the san juan sand bar? I am wondering if the bar is still there and if this swell is hitting it. Heard Jordan River was working well too. Fvck work.

Another day another cancelation but should be good to go for the am I'll post a report after the trip

Back