Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

Zero swell today but a brisk east wind and 3 ft chop still better than the last couple. Lots of coho from daylight until 11ish then it was a grind after that.

Coming out for the weekend to pick up my boat. Is it worth going out for some fishing while there? Certainly would enjoy it...

Why not Merrittboy? Buy yourself a ticket for the Coho derby! May pay for a nice winter vacation...

Thanks for the report bananas...

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably will. How much is the derby? Not really much of a derby guy though. Thanks for the motivation, lol. Last time we came out for an october fish was the year the river blew and took out Butch's docks! Was not pretty as we watched the entire thing. I still cringe and am shocked that no one was seriously hurt. Wow that was ugly. What is the most used, without giving secrets, setup used for Coho?

I think $30 this year? Find out tomorrow when I get there. Winner take all. Head out to deep water, 4,5,600 feet; troll fast and deep with flasher and hootchie. You'll get em'.

Will do, how deep is deep? Sockeye deep? lol. Why don't you just catch them for me and then put them in my cooler.. LOL! Just joking of course. Will give them a good go on Saturday weather permitting. Thanks.

Derby was great! Lots of fish . Mostly in the 6-12lb range and the winner was 18.12 lbs i will let the winner tell his story.

Lots of Ho's out there our biggest 13, 5 guys brought in 4 each Saturday, lost way more than that. Could have done the same Sunday but we were looking for that one fatty. No luck, try again next year.

Derby was fantastic, I would describe the coho fishing as on fire. Army truck glow and white glow hoochy produced extremely well for us at 90 and 110 feet. We were out in 650 to 750 feet of water. Had to fish one rod for about two hours as it was just too much dealing with the constant hook-ups. Mainly 6 to 13 lbs, not many hatch jobs though. Easily into 20 plus fish each day over about four hours. Due to the lack of hatchery fish and extreme abundance of "wild" or simply unclipped hatchery ho's, I think the regs should be revisited. Did everything I could not to, but likely killed a few wilds searching for the hatcheries - hardly used the net, hand bombed virtually every fish.. shouldn't have to sort through, but unfortunately the regs make you.

Son and I made it out on Saturday and easily caught our limits. Lots of fish and we were lucky enough to finish with four straight clipped. Weather and water was great. Fish were not that big, nice dinner size though. Done for the winter hope to get out in the spring for halibut. Have a great winter everyone.

I think my post the other day got lost in the outage. I was suggesting that because DFO seems totally unconcerned about the "snaggers" at Rene, they ought to have a "Snagfest" derby out there with prizes to the person with the most as well as the largest fish. On the flip side, somebody would have a list of participants. Winner takes all categories. Someone might as well take advantage of DFO disinterest

First Day Out For Salmon, it was KILLER. Just had a great dinner of fresh Chinook Salmon. Cut some bellies for the Halibut derby this weekend and gave a piece to the
blond neighbour. It was a catch and release hour and a half. Crabbing is top notch also..

Back