Port Hardy vs Port McNeill for halibut

SkeenaSlayer

Folks,

May have a chance for a last minute trip to the north Island for halibut. What is better - Port Hardy or Port McNeill? Thinking of end of the month. Any recommendations for guides/charters? Thanks.

Skeena

Juts got back from Hardy... took 4 hali all in the slot within about 3 hours. 20-30 minutes from the docks. Between Pine Island and Buckle group islands. 80-240 feet of water. Drifting (backtrolling to keep lines down) Salmon bellies and heads.
If I may ask, did you fish off of your own boat or hire a guide?

Thanks for the advice, folks. Is there as much of a chance at good halis out of Port McNeill? And any other recommendations for a guide in either place? Any guides, feel free to PM me. Looking for a trip on Aug 27, 28 or 29.

Thanks for the advice, folks. Is there as much of a chance at good halis out of Port McNeill? And any other recommendations for a guide in either place? Any guides, feel free to PM me. Looking for a trip on Aug 27, 28 or 29.

honestly, they are there but you’ll have to work for them. there is definitely chickens around and if you can avoid the long lines around stubbs island and the backside of malcolm, you can find some smalls. stubbs is a gear grabber though. watch the rca. we’ve picked them up as close as ledge point. mitchell bay as well.
a local i know has a spot halfway to the broughtons but he guards it with his life. i think you’re just gonna hunt around for some pinnacles or holes. you know....fish for them! ;)

Juts got back from Hardy... took 4 hali all in the slot within about 3 hours. 20-30 minutes from the docks. Between Pine Island and Buckle group islands. 80-240 feet of water. Drifting (backtrolling to keep lines down) Salmon bellies and heads.
Pretty sure I saw you out there

Pretty sure I saw you out there
Nice. It was our first time to PH... came from 2 days at Winter Harbour where the salmon fishing was dismal.... caught out limits of everything in PG and will be back again.
I think the only thing PH is missing (and we did not look for them) was the crazy ling cod action. But as far as salmon and hali... that place is golden.

Back