Port Hardy to Rivers Inlet...

Weekender

Planning a trip from Hardy to Rivers Inlet. Would like to go for 4 or 5 days. Looking for info on a good place to tie up, get fuel, and any tips on when and where to fish.

Weekender,

You would best making the run in the morning, the weather is generally the best, no wind. There are many place to tie up up in that area just depends on you and where you want to be fishing. Duncanby Landing is the first spot with fuel and moorage on your way up the Inlet. They do not have a store but have a restaurant, moorage and fuel. The other spot for fuel is Dawson's Landing, they also have a full store, it is a bit further up the Inlet. These are the only two spots to get fuel and or food, the rest is up to you and the adventure you want to take. Not sure when you are heading up there but late July through mid August can be fantastic. Good luck, have fun!

Weekender,

You would best making the run in the morning, the weather is generally the best, no wind. There are many place to tie up up in that area just depends on you and where you want to be fishing. Duncanby Landing is the first spot with fuel and moorage on your way up the Inlet. They do not have a store but have a restaurant, moorage and fuel. The other spot for fuel is Dawson's Landing, they also have a full store, it is a bit further up the Inlet. These are the only two spots to get fuel and or food, the rest is up to you and the adventure you want to take. Not sure when you are heading up there but late July through mid August can be fantastic. Good luck, have fun!

Great, thanks for all the info.

one of the better spots to fish is between seymour inlet and cape caution along the sandy beach; most guide boats from port hardy fish here

If you don't want to commit to the entire crossing in one morning, you can break it up into pieces--go across QCS to the other side on Day No. 1, boat camp in Shelter Bay or Miles Inlet, then do the Cape Caution run early morning of Day No. 2---that approach allows you to capture the morning window past the more exposed part of the trip (and if it's calm, gives you a fishing window with R.I that much closer if you need to bust a weather move)

If you're concerned the morning of, you can always check in with Comox traffic to see if anyone's out there.

Need a little more information. How big of boat and what speed do you cruise. Will you be sleeping on the boat or do you need to rent a cabin? What time of the year will you be going? I've been there several times and can help you with some advise.

what we did was timed it so the queen of the north (before it sank) left port hardy in the morning and just followed it and we did it in a 18 foot trophy

I've made the trip 5x from Hardy to Bella Bella and I've found the thing to avoid in either southbound or north is an EBB tide from QCS
The typ NW swell plus ebb can make a steep ride pretty quick regardless of calm wind.
I never stopped for salmon but had great bottom fishing once of the south end of Calvert Is.

What kind of boat? I have a Seasport and have gone from Hardy to Rivers Inlet the last 4 years. Weather has never stopped me from crossing but I have had some rough rides. Best bet is to run early in the morning but have had flat calm crossings in the afternoon too. Are you trophy hunting or looking to catch lots of fish? If trophy hunting then staying at Dawsons if you want to tie up or anchor in Kibella Bay and fish the head of the inlet. If you want to fish more for numbers and not very many other boats send me a PM for spots. August has been good to me with lots of Chinooks and Coho. Like others have said only fuel is at Dawsons and Duncaby. Take as much as you possible can because it is not cheap.

Weekender,what a great thread.I think I will do this trip soon.I have heard about it but never really given it much thought but for someone on the central /north Island this is very doable

To those who have made the trip any ideas on how much time it takes from Port given relatively good weather and good power

Back