Port Hardy September Fishing Opportunities

Sharphooks

The following quotation from Salmon University regarding Port Hardy:

Chinook: The first great runs of Chinook usually begin to arrive out of the northern waters about mid-June. The early Chinook often are in great numbers and average in the 20 to 30 pound range. Their sizes increase in July with 30 pounders common and bigger fish caught.

Most of the Chinook have passed through by the end of August. However, if you want big Chinook and do not care about the number, the last week of August - first 10 days of September is the time to be in Port Hardy.

Should I consider bellying up to the bar and investing the time and energy into a Pt Hardy trip this late in the season? Where I am it's thick with pinks and coho so that's not what I'm looking for: I missed my spring fix this summer --should I consider taking a last minute swipe at the brass ring this late in the season?

Anyone care to comment on that last Salmon U. paragraph?

Sharphooks,

I like the thoughts of that but in all my years in Port Hardy(my whole life) I must say that end of August and beginning of Sept is not prime. Not to say that you will not get any springs but I believe that most have past through.

Now this year may be different as there were more fish in the area this summer than I have ever seen in my life so there very well could be springs to be had. From what I understand they are still getting fish out here but that can change in a day or two as you know. Hope this helps and give me a ring if you come up as I may be on the water having fun and would be more than happy to give you a report. 1-877-949-7939

Wade

www.bearcovecottages.ca
Port Hardy BC
Canada

Hey Gents,

Thanks for the quick comeback on fishing opportunities in September. I know it's a roll of the dice going this late. But the most important consideration is weather: I have a 19 foot boat, on the small side but sea-worthy.

Are the odds of deteriorating weather thrown into the mix or is September usually fairly stable? Where I fish there's way more fog in September but it blows about the same as August. October is when things go down hill. Weather expectations for September in Port Hardy: can you guys comment?

Thanks again.

Hey Sharphooks.. comox harbour( check openings/areas) In front of the little Qualicum... all produce well in sept.

Not sure where you are travelling form but maybe you don't need to go that far north..

I am reopening this thread... What is the story first few weeks in Sept if I wanted to bring my boat back up for say a three days at Scotia Bay in Sept? Looking for honest answer..I only fished there a week ago, and definitely had to work for springs... Although we were green to area...Although coho and everything else was unreal...

Mostly interested spots not far offshore castle, gordons, duval etc...

Not having my boat for most of the season I,m hoping it will be good. did well this weekend landed 14 springs in 3 days lost a few and kept 9 all in the 15 - 25 range but it is still august. who knows the water has been warm no rain anything can happen. I,m sure Wade has not seen weather like this in a long time if not for ever.

out to duval the other day with 3 young kids; in about 3 hrs they landed 5 springs to 25 lbs;; two were white ones ;; yesterday son went out with wife at about ten ' back home at two with three ; another white;;most years duval has a few larger springs in early sept for those with a bit of patience

I am reopening this thread... What is the story first few weeks in Sept if I wanted to bring my boat back up for say a three days at Scotia Bay in Sept? Looking for honest answer..I only fished there a week ago, and definitely had to work for springs... Although we were green to area...Although coho and everything else was unreal...

Mostly interested spots not far offshore castle, gordons, duval etc...

SV, fish the usual spots as there will still be a few springs around. Just look for the bait. There will be some late returning Nimpkish fish that follow the shoreline. There will lots of nice coho around and fish the mouth of the Keogh and Cluxewe in the 75-150' level for halis as they will be attracted to the flushing of pinks that have spawned....if they get rain.

Cheers

SS

SV, fish the usual spots as there will still be a few springs around. Just look for the bait. There will be some late returning Nimpkish fish that follow the shoreline. There will lots of nice coho around and fish the mouth of the Keogh and Cluxewe in the 75-150' level for halis as they will be attracted to the flushing of pinks that have spawned....if they get rain.

Cheers

SS

Thanks...Fall trip is just idea right now if not next year trip again...Just love the place one of best trips I have ever have...

Back