port alberni sockeye

Just wondering what it looks like for sockeye this year, what do they expect for numbers.
I had lunch at the PA boat ramp last Wednesday and chatted it up with an old fellow who was there to watch the ramp renos. We got to talking Sockeye and he told me that they expect 800,000 to return this year. That was the first I've heard of numbers so far. Can anyone verify if that's accurate.
Dave

I had seen an email from Bob Cole a few weeks ago with numbers.. I will try and find it.
I dont remember it being that high.. BUT as we know from past years any estimates on salmon really dont mean S....t.
They have NO IDEA of ocean survival, sealice mortality on the smolts, alaska fishing or much else!

I have seen the Fraser sockeye run open for a day a few years back and closed promptly..their estimates were WAY OFF
Last year with port alberni..they expected 300-500 thousand and it was approximately 3x that!

The figure I have heard supposedly coming from DFO is 600,000.

I agree totally with Island Girl. To paraphrase DFO don't know ****!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know what the DFO numbers are for Port A, but the late night news last night had a story on the Fraser. Estimated returns are expected at 3-5 million, less than 10% of last years return.

I am looking forward to spending some time at China Creek this year in early July as I have for many years. My concern this is not about numbers but with the cool spring and high snow pack which makes for high river water in June and July. That happened a few years back and the Sockeye just headed up the river and the Sockeye fishing was just none existant.

Just came back from our cabin and came across jumpers at Coleman Ck on the way home tonight. They expect 600 - 800K...but as Tigger points out the fishing could be impacted by huge run off. In years when the river is high the fish run straight in and do not stack up, so we often find the fishing is crappy. Pray for slow run off and low water in July.

Last years snow pack was pretty deep as well. My wife and I are back country hikers and a lot of our hiking had to be put off until mid to late August because of the snow. Think positive. Lots of sockeye and lots of full fish totes!
Dave

You can always just buy them off the 1st Nations

sarcasm alert

Last year coming back from Ukee we stopped off @ three different vendors to have a look-honestly what was on offer was a joke.

The fish were sitting in warm water in dirty coolers half rotted-wouldn't feed that crap to a dog.

Well one operation didn't look half bad if you hadn't tasted Sockeye in awhile but his price was far too high.

Then within a few weeks the Sockeye scene off the Fraser mouth exploded so it was a good thing we never touched any of that stuff.

The recommeded management forecast for total adult sockeye return to Barkley sound in 2011 is 600,000.

Sporties will start at 2 per day as of May 1 (if The Dino follows the SFAC recommendations) increasing to four per day a week before any commercial activities. Suspected the run will top the forecast.

Cheers,
Nog

Nogg is that really may 1st or june 1st?

We informed DFO at the SFAC meeting here we preferred it to open on May 1 this year. Seemed they agreed at the time - guess we'll have to wait for the announcement to see whether they comply or not. Likely a tad early for any shining results, but I have caught them in decent numbers later into May.

Cheers,
Nog

what is going on with the 1st Nations parking i love to fish on that side. are they trying to stop us from fishing there

just wondering if there is any sox being caught at the papermill damn yet an will was out there this am seen 7 0r 8 guys fishing both sides peeps are just parking along rd side now not sure if the natives know or even care about the economic downturn that could cause for port if they are banning peeps parking an what not like a rod an 2 day limit could never compete with their ways of fishing soo hmmmmm maybe they should stop an think for all that live in port probally wont win the most prized frishing place anymore if this waay keeps up .....

Back