Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

just got home today after 8 days out of ukee and bamfield,fishing was awesome offshore and pretty good inshore as well.Went to the rats nose and limited on hali and salmon it was non stop action last sat the 23rd,fished southbank sun and limited out as well,,,,, then came the nw winds and nobody got out,wasfishing mears bluff with all the others even princess fleet alot of coho but no springs so I moved to Kirby and bang a 20 in the box right away.fished a few tides here and caught alot of coho and 1 more spring finding 45 ft to be good.Fished Sanford yesterday alot of bait around so needless to say got a couple of nice springs and alot of decent coho.Then came home today happy to be back,just to let everyone know my buddys truck got stolen in Bamfield parked on the street,asking around the locals seem to know who is behind all this but the police wont do anything.The cops told my buddy that most likely his will be burnt on a logging road somewhere,Thelocals even had caught one guys surrounded him and called the cops but they were to busy can u ****** believe this ****.Apparently there has been 30 or more trucks stolen from bamfield in the last year,95 % fords but mow a few chevy diesels have gone to.So if your going there dissonnect your battery or imobilize your vehicle so you dont end up like us.the town has had meetings and know who it is a bad apple south of the town get it,****** low lifes I hate thiefs!!!!!! Anyways had a great time in Bamfield and cant wait to get back,,,,

Tight Lines
Billydoo

Your fishing report was bang on, greenhornet.
The theft of trucks in Bamfield is out of control and the cops that have to respond tell me there boss doesn't give a **** and won't give them any money to come and catch the guy. It wasn't a local that caught someone trying to steal a vehicle at the boat ramp but a camper in the park. They apparently held him until the cops said, we won't come, let him go! If a local catches him we will have an old style linching!

tell the hand tide cops someones gonna shoot em,, they will come,, see ya tommorow ken, and thanks for the fresh report GH. buudies of mine already there, did very well at 7.

Sounds like an episode right out of the Trailer Park Boys ,
What do you mean , " Wont give them any Money " wtf , a crime has been reported , and nothing was done ???
are they not RC's , thought they were suppose ta " Serve and Protect' , including property...

brutal , low budget Trailer Park Trash ,
this really must bump the tourism,,,
Wont be seein my or my friends trucks parked there any time soon , i'm serious...
someone should step up to the plate here and do somthing,, m2b

****** way ta finish ur holiday...

feel for ya Hornet , damn , Im Steamin Right Now...

Fd

I had similar fishing experience this weekend, went out Sun to Tues. Was going to go out Monday to 5 mile but there was no getting through that crappy weather. I was with you Greenhornet at Mears Bluff. We caught about 5 small springs and 1 coho there. Mostly deeper - 80+ feet. Tiger Prawn.
What supprised me was watching those Princess boats jigging away and then I see a couple guys high fiving each other then a worker lifting off the deck about a 25lb halibut! Would never have guessed you could catch one there but I guess you put enough lines down someone is bound to catch one.
Managed another few around 8-10lbs in Pill the next day - Party Girl 70 feet.
Gill netters were still all over but not in the numbers they were before. Still seeing them pulling in a few sockeye on each pull.
Not the inside fishing I was hoping for - go outside if you can or wait till the bigger ones start coming in.
China creek campground seemed quiet - feel sorry for them, it could be smoking busy there with lots of happy fishermen if they would have paced the gill netters better or kept them further up the inlet so the rec's can have a better chance.

Ya Im still pissed off going to give the alberni cops an earfull today.Im goin back with my truck and Im sleeping in the back seat wait until they meet my freind TASER there goin love him followed by a blanket party and also very hard to wipe your butt when every digit and joints dont work so well.....Feel very bad for the locals their pissed big time heard of a little vigilanty justice system coming real soon so I wont have to do it %$#@ing cops are usless,they would rather hassle fisherman coming into the harbour to see if they have their boating license then go after real criminals,do the math say 30 trucks@ 40,000= 1.2 million icbc has to pay ooohh sorry we have to pay the bill should be sent to the head honcho at the port alberni cop shop then maybe the idiot will do something it makes me sick!!!!!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

I am new at this plug/spoon fishing Do I run a flasher in front and if so how far in front.....

fished last week mon to friday. limits on salmon. had our fair share of boat issues! fished the last half of the trip on the main engine. which is not easy to maintain a constant troll when you are running a jet! however like many have said the best fishing was offshore. inside kirby and edward king produced several nice springs in the mid teens for us. 6 inch tomic copcar, 6 inch 602 classic plug, and purple haze hootchie did well for us. but thanks to my buddy carey for finally giving us the hot spoon for the trip a 6 inch hollographic blue and silver doctored up like a pilchard. i think iron noggin posted pics of it last year(thanks nog!) boy was that lure on fire!!!! outfished everything else 4 to 1. also would like to thank everyone at mills landing! boy what a great friendly place to stay!!!!! it was a pleasure to meet you jeff and maybe next year will try to stay onshore for a while and have a beer with yah! all in all.........great trip! feel kinda stupid that i left the keys to my truck inside it the whole week parked in bamfield. still there when we went to leave. phew! next year i will be taking a few more precautions.

Hi guys
Would you say it's pointless to fish the Alberni channel for springs. Don't have the boat to go out to Barkley sound or to the banks offshore. Has anyone caught any springs in the channel and if so, could you point me to an area where I might snag a few....not fussy as to size as I catch and release.
Thanks for any pointers/help

I'm not sure if anyone is catching any or not, but if you fish the Bay directly to the west of China Creek, and along the wall past that to the narrows, Franklin Wall I believe, you may get lucky. There are numerous other areas not far from China Creek but it may be a bit early.

Hi guys
Would you say it's pointless to fish the Alberni channel for springs. Don't have the boat to go out to Barkley sound or to the banks offshore. Has anyone caught any springs in the channel and if so, could you point me to an area where I might snag a few....not fussy as to size as I catch and release.

Wouldn't waste my time on that until after Aug 10th.

There are some, and I mean some Chinooks in the inlet but not real catchable numbers yet. Commies have been pounding it for sockeye too, so good luck chuck!

Wouldn't waste my time on that until after Aug 10th.

There are some, and I mean some Chinooks in the inlet but not real catchable numbers yet. Commies have been pounding it for sockeye too, so good luck chuck!

Hmmmm. My son is coming in from Victoria and we are going out tomorrow. Poor planning on my part I guess.....crap!

Oh yah, what's a commie? LOL

A nice chap who is subsidized in his work by the state just by showing up for work enough days a year to collect EI cheques so he can at least break even because he can't make enough money from fishing to stay in business without a hand out.

Hi guys

Not sure how big your jet is but I have a 17 welded boat and fish barkley sound, just over an hour from cluetsi.
Run down in the early morning, pay attention to weather and winds. Going to the offshore banks not a great idea!

Yep, a weak red neck moment. I'm sure they are too proud to take a hand out, so I take that back.

Not sure how big your jet is but I have a 17 welded boat and fish barkley sound, just over an hour from cluetsi.
Run down in the early morning, pay attention to weather and winds. Going to the offshore banks not a great idea!

I have a 16' K&C with a crappy Merc 50

Back