Point Holmes Recreation Association Ramp

lazoman

I have just returned home from the AGM of the Point Holmes Recreation Association. As a concerned member, I would like to offer to this forum the details of our meeting, and make public the concerns we are faced with.

The boat ramp at Point Holmes was constructed in the 60's, and some of the original members that constructed the ramp are still active members in the PHRA. The Point Holmes shoreline was brought into the Town of Comox recently, and the PHRA has secured a Foreshore Lease from the town, allowing it to operate and maintain their boat ramp. What we are faced with now are rising insurance costs, insurance that the PHRA is legally required to purchase by agreement to the town of Comox. We are faced with rising maintenance costs; for basic cleaning of the ramp to keep it safe to walk on, and for major resurfacing and repairing of the paved ramp surface.

Annual membership in the PHRA, which allows year long access to the boat ramp, is only a small fee of $30. This gives the member a sticker for their boat trailer, to show his support. Daily launch fees are only $5, and are to be dropped in the lockbox. Where else can you launch and park for $5?

The long and short of this is: many people feel this is a 'public' ramp, and they do not need to pay anything. Their fathers didn't and their grandfathers didn't, so why should I? The ramp is not policed, and a drop box for day use is not being used by most that are using the ramp these days.

Unfortunately, the consensus was drawn, we need to;
1) Either generate a bit more income through memberships and/or daily user fees,
2) Put a keyed gate in place to allow access to only membership, thus reducing our liability insurance somewhat,
3) As a last resort, the Town of Comox has said we could have the entire ramp structure removed, at our expense, returning it to it's native state. The town is not going to take over the ramp.

Our overwhelming position is to simply generate a little more income, and feel that we have the support of the users through either annual memberships, or paid daily user fees. We do not want to lose our precious Pt Holmes boat ramp, after all, it’s a much shorter run from there to Kitty...

Thank you, Lazoman

I forgot to mention, anyone interested in an annual membership, just let me know, and I'll get you the contact information, thanks.

To give you a better idea of what's happening, last weekend we had roughly 40 launches, and a total of $20 bucks in the can........

Thats a bargain, not paying $5 is the ulitimate in cheapness. We have ramps that want $25 on the mainland. Burrard civic ramp by my house $14. Some people just don't know when they have it good.

It would be a shame if we lose Pt. Holmes ramp. While it can only be used when there are no SE winds ( totally exposed to the south) it is VERY useful especially later in the year when the salmon start to stage outside the Comox bar. 5 min and you are into the fish.

Members of the local SFAC have also tried to get a ramp beside the Powell River ferry terminal. MLA Stan Hagen was on our side, but with his death, everything has ground to a halt.

As far as trying to get Comox Council to recognize what sportsfishing does for thier community-- its like talking to a brick wall.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Lazoman
Sorry to here that there are so many cheats at the ramp.
I don't use the ramp but if I did you could count me in for a membership.
Kitty Coleman has started to require season passes, no more single launch.
A visitor can still get a single but the regulars must get a season pass.
Personally I like having those stickers on my trailer. Kind of cool.
I swear you catch more fish with them on. Must be Karma.
I plan to right size to a new boat this year or next.
The next one will be able to launch at Point Holmes.
Curently I launch at the Comox Harbour at $127 a year.
I will send you a PM regarding increasing the revenue at your launch.
GLG

Opps I think I sent the PM to Holmes. Must be late or old age pick one.

Thanks for the support guys, and the PM messages. GLG, I spilled my coffee this morning when I read your suggestions [8D]

The ramp at Pt Holmes is not the best in south winds, is not the best at either very high or low tides, and for those new to town, you must jackknife your trailer off the north side of the ramp to get any water at all. Don't try backing straight down into the water to launch, if you do, better roll your windows up!

It's a great launch for smaller boats, and it'll save $5 in gas running around the corner from comox, where launching fees are higher.

PM me for a $30 annual membership, and preserve a small community venture. Thanks, Lazoman.

I received an email from our PHRA treasurer last night, the news was that this year's total cash deposits in the daily drop box is only $170. Last year we were well over $500. Recession or not, this is a bad sign of things to come, you can look forward to seeing a gate next year.

Pt Holmes area 14-11 opens Sept 1 for retention of springs, and one of the few areas for retention of wild coho. I know the ramp gets a lot of use during this period, and we will be out there trying to keep this thing alive by encouraging folks to cough up $5 or by donating $30 for a 2009 sticker.

Tight lines, Lazoman

Considering it's $12 per launch at Comox $30 per year is diddly! Maybe a gate isn't such a bad idea...unless the rates would then go up significantly. However It'd only take 6 memberships to bust that $170 total. 17 would put you over the previous year's $500 mark. Members would basically have a private boat launch! You could give a discount to Fish and Game Members or Salmon Enhancement Society and draw in more people that way too.

I haven't launched at that ramp yet, having just got my boat in September and then spending most of the prime fishing time in Nunavut. I am interested in an annual membership though! In getting it now would it expire in December?

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

Just Curious: what else does the PHRA membership do for you?

Hi and welcome Geo Tonz, for your $30 you get a year's launching, except the SE days........can't go wrong. I don't have a current total for the year's memberships and cash box drops, but will find out and post it. Yearly membership stickers do expire Dec 31.

Well I will certainly be getting an annual membership come the New Year. I can't quite justify an '09 one right now as I'm not sure I will use the ramp before December. If I do I'll be sure to put my $5 in the box though!

FYI: I wasn't implying I should be getting more for $30 a year, that is a good deal. It's just that it's called a "PHRA Membership" and not a "Point Holmes Ramp Pass" and so makes it sound like there's more to it than just being able to drop your boat in the water.

I am looking to resurrect this post. I have not heard from the PHRA this year for my annual ramp membership fee. So I went down to see if there was any information on the board for contact information.

No contact information and the honesty box has been removed.

Does anyone have any contact numbers so I can get my yearly sticker?

Thanks

Don (Phil my boat)

I am looking to resurrect this post. I have not heard from the PHRA this year for my annual ramp membership fee. So I went down to see if there was any information on the board for contact information.

No contact information and the honesty box has been removed.

Does anyone have any contact numbers so I can get my yearly sticker?

Hi Don, Funny you should ask....

We are having our PHRA Exec AGM tues night, and the annual renewal forms will be mailed out next week for those we have an address for. The Annual Membership AGM is being held 8 May @ 7 pm at the pavilion beside the ramp, weather permitting. If you don't get a form mailed to you, everyone is welcome to attend and renew their sticker at the AGM, that would be the simplest.

If that doesn't work for you, or anyone else, as FA said, just PM me your mailing address and I will get a form out to you to mail back with your payment. To make this all easier, I am in the middle of creating a PHRA website that will have a form to download and mail to us. Eventually I may try to setup online registration/payment.

I am also planning on setting up a webcam at the ramp which should be very popular to see what's going on out there. Might not show the North winds coming down from Kitty very well unless we can get it aimed out towards the Cape, but you will get a good closeup look at any SE winds.

So, stay tuned, more to come asap.

thanks,

Rob
PHRA

Hi Don, Funny you should ask....

The PHRA Annual General Meeting has been moved until Thursday 22 May, at 7 pm in the small pavilion beside the ramp.

If you haven't received a renewal notice in the mail, stop by before 7 at the boat ramp and get your new 2014 membership sticker then sit in on our AGM. New faces are always welcome !

We are looking at raising the height of the ramp up towards the high water mark, this should really help with those high tide retrievals on the late summer evening trips.

Our website is up and running, still a work in progress, but it's a start. The ramp webcam will be along when we get things sorted with the Town and BC Hydro, should be a great local asset to have that eye on the water.

www.pointholmesrecreation.ca

Back