Planning a trip for next summer...NEED HELP!

Wildhootchy

I've been fishing Barkley Sound every year for the last 13. I've always stayed in P.A. or Bamfield. This year I want to do something different. I would like to stay on my boat. I was wondering if anyone has the contact info. for the Port Alberni Yacht Club? Also, do you know if they will take reservations or is it on a "first come first served" basis? We plan to have 2 boats and 6 guys, so we would feel better if we could make reservations. Also, just wondering if they allow camping on Fleming Island? What type of amenities does the PAYC have? Just trying to figure out what we need to bring. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

harrisons cove lodge, fuel, nice rooms and great food...

harrisons cove lodge, fuel, nice rooms and great food...

Not looking to increase my expenses, I'm looking to decrease them. What with the ferry and fuel costs going thru the roof I figure that I can cut costs by staying on my boat and preparing my own meals. I have thought about Poet's Nook but it is too crowded for me, and I want to stay closer to the surf line. I have pretty much decided to stay at PAYC but need contact information and any insight in to ammenities so I know what I need to bring. Hoping for some help... Thanks!

Why not stay in Ucluelet ? I stayed there last year at Island West and stayed on the boat . Cooked on the boat and also ate in town . Everything is walking distance from the marina. All fishing is right there and even went offshore a couple times. Will probably do the same this year.

Why not stay in Ucluelet ? I stayed there last year at Island West and stayed on the boat . Cooked on the boat and also ate in town . Everything is walking distance from the marina. All fishing is right there and even went offshore a couple times. Will probably do the same this year.

Same reason as Poett's Nooke, too crowded. Also, doesn't it take quite a boat ride to get out to the fishing grounds from Island West? The PAYC is in Robber's Passage so you can be fishing in less than 5 minutes (saving on fuel).

There is a free float you can tie up to in San Mateo Bay, first come first served however. No facilities so you have to be fully self contained. You can see its location by zooming in on google earth satellite images.

Same reason as Poett's Nooke, too crowded. Also, doesn't it take quite a boat ride to get out to the fishing grounds from Island West? The PAYC is in Robber's Passage so you can be fishing in less than 5 minutes (saving on fuel).
The Best WCVI fishing these past few years has been offshore from Ukee-and No it
's not that far.

If you want to save a few bucks for gas and chance so/so fishing stick to the Inside-if you want more fish than you know how to handle (assuming you know how to fish) then head outside.

The Best WCVI fishing these past few years has been offshore from Ukee-and No it
's not that far.

If you want to save a few bucks for gas and chance so/so fishing stick to the Inside-if you want more fish than you know how to handle (assuming you know how to fish) then head outside.

X2. You can be on the bank out front in no time depending on your vessel. The moorage is great. A Co-op is right up the hill for groceries. It's a no brainer IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been fishing Barkley Sound every year for the last 13. I've always stayed in P.A. or Bamfield. This year I want to do something different. I would like to stay on my boat. I was wondering if anyone has the contact info. for the Port Alberni Yacht Club? Also, do you know if they will take reservations or is it on a "first come first served" basis? We plan to have 2 boats and 6 guys, so we would feel better if we could make reservations. Also, just wondering if they allow camping on Fleming Island? What type of amenities does the PAYC have? Just trying to figure out what we need to bring. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Although I have the use of a cabin and tie up in Julia Passage, I've often thought about spending a night or two at the PAYC just because it's so pretty looking there. I believe that for non members of the club it's first come, first serve when it comes to moorage.
Dave

Agree, some of the best fishing is/was off shore at times...that said, going off shore is not for everyone, nor do they all have the right boat to make that venture safe. There can be some very, very good fishing inside. Like most things, depends on timing. The sound had some incredible fishing last season, started strong in May, got better in June and lasted until the long weekend in September. Not every day was stellar, but many were.

Thank you!

There are several really nice spots to anchor and/or camp all through the Broken Group, which I have often done. I have been through that passage and know exactly what you are thinking and like your ideal, a LOT!

Amenities include: Moorage, showers, water (be careful on drinking that water if from a lake), small bunk house, hiking trails, power (is from generator).

If they accept reservations that would be great. However, if is first come first serve don't get hung up on that. They will have their own "member" policies and MEMBERS will have priority. The only question is their rafting policy. That is a very nice and large anchorage with a lot of space and if you are uncomfortable with rafting, just go buy a cheap inflatable dingy. Anchor the dingy and go fishing. Come back from fishing, move the anchor line from the dingy to the boat and take the dingy to the dock leaving the boat on anchor!

Of course, if you do join the Yacht Club and get that priority on the dock, then I can come and visit! Keep me posted, as I am very interested on how this works out!

IMHO... That is actually a better location to run offshore than Bamfield.

Again, great ideal - I LIKE IT! :)

Here is the contact info:
Port Alberni Yacht Club
Box 37
Port Alberni V9Y 7M6

Last edited by a moderator:
Robbers Passage is a great location ,

id say almost half way between Poett and Bamfield , As Searun incicated , Inshore can be great from April - Sept ,
When its on , nice not burnin up all that fuel every day , atleast on those gusty days , My friends always seem ta be more comfortable inside when so ,
West Flemming was HOT for some time last year ! that would be sweet for ur Home Base being PAYC.. ... troll there lol...

, I Cut through there all the time , was quite busy last Spring n Summer ,

hope it works out for ya

FD

Trip to Barkley

Thanks for all of the input to date. Having fished WCVI for several years and seen boats coming back from offshore with loads of fish I know what several of you have mentioned is true. My boat (23.5 ft. Striper) is very seaworthy and large enough to handle some pretty rough conditions. However, I don't have radar and would not chance going out to Big Bank or South Bank unless I accompany another boat that knows the area and has radar. The extent of my offshore fishing has been to 5 and 7 mile. Thanks to Charlie, I have all of the coordinates to the offshore hotspots loaded on my GPS but will most likely never have a chance to get out there.
Some of your comments have piqued my interest in looking at Ukee as a place to stay sometime.
Any additional info. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to everyone!

Agree, some of the best fishing is/was off shore at times...that said, going off shore is not for everyone, nor do they all have the right boat to make that venture safe. There can be some very, very good fishing inside. Like most things, depends on timing. The sound had some incredible fishing last season, started strong in May, got better in June and lasted until the long weekend in September. Not every day was stellar, but many were.

Yup.....X2 ;)

If I'm ever in Ucluelet this summer and you are there the same time, you are more then welcome to use me as a buddy boat. I've got a 23 ft hourston fully loaded with electronics and radar. Fish mainly offshore and would be more than willing to have you tag along. Just let me know closer to the time you are going and will let you know if I will be there.

If I'm ever in Ucluelet this summer and you are there the same time, you are more then welcome to use me as a buddy boat. I've got a 23 ft hourston fully loaded with electronics and radar. Fish mainly offshore and would be more than willing to have you tag along. Just let me know closer to the time you are going and will let you know if I will be there.
Thank you for your generous offer! It is something that I have always wanted to do. Would be quite a treat for me and my companions!
Steve

I am planning to be in the Uke / Bamfield area last twoweeks of june , first week in july so if anyone wants to do a buddy run off shore give me a yell on the VHF . I am in a 21' Striper 2100WA . I dont have radar sorry ! not yet anyway but that could change before june LOL.
Not experienced with the offshore spots but would love to tag along with someone or a group of boats would be great !

Clint

Little early for me ,but you never know. If I there then you can follow me out also anyone else for that matter. Buddy boat system is always nice never know want can happen.

Back