pinks in cowichan bay

c.askin

i heard latley that you can now catch pinks in cowichan bay area apparently several thousand fry were stoked there a few years ago and have now returned can any one confirm this?????

Hopefully there will be a return of the fry released 2 years ago. That was the first "plant" of pinks in the Bay.
Haven't heard of any showing yet and have been out in the Bay and Narrows twice this week myself. Didn't see or catch any.

The pink fishery will be restricted to along the south shore of the Bay, August 1 to September 30.
Gear restriction is single barbless hooks with a point to shank maximum distance of 15mm (just under 5/8 of an inch). Not sure what the hook size number is. Anybody know?

Be warned, the area will be patrolled by fisheries and auxilaries to ensure fishing is kept within the authorized zone and no chinooks are being targeted.

My interpretation is that it will also be legal to fish for them in the chinook non-retention areas (blue coloured area of map).

The full Fisheries Notice, with maps, is here:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/PN/A18-pink-2009.pdf

Good luck and think Pink.

Has anyone seen those seadoo's flying through the narrows? Was out fishing off seperation a few days ago and 5 of them came flying thru. One must have been doing close to 80mph...

Pass the Pack

We released 250,000 smolts, but they were not as large and healthy as the ones we released this year! Everyone is watching out for them, but they have not appeared yet. On Tuesday we will be setting out some marker buoys to give a visual reference on the fishing boundary.

We think they will come in through the Narrows, but that is just a guess because they were Quinsam ( Campbell river ) stock.

Back