Pinks around Vancouver yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i grind the pinks up add panko and turn them into salmon burgers, taste great and and can vacuum seal them, what flashers to the pinks like, and depth they, the times i have gotten them was just a secondary catch on my chinook rigs
I literally just spray painted 2 of my old flashers flat white, with short leaders with small pink squirts. Worked better than any other combo. They’re usually shallow like coho. Slow troll not quite sockeye slow but 2-2.5mph or so

The guys down in San Diego say the same thing about Skipjack for lobster Shawn but I'd take it over Bluefin or Yellowfin raw any day of the week ;)

Pinks are not meant to be frozen unless candied and eaten within a month or two IMHO. Pan fried they're pretty darn tasty as well but they're also amazing sturgeon bait. Canned meh, better off with Sox, coho or springs.
I agree that the white striped skipjack are pretty good but even the Mexicans won’t eat the black striped ones

i grind the pinks up add panko and turn them into salmon burgers, taste great and and can vacuum seal them, what flashers to the pinks like, and depth they, the times i have gotten them was just a secondary catch on my chinook rigs
Thanks, just the kind of input I was looking for. 👍

I've never targetted pinks in the ocean. Any tips, locations, timing etc?

They are probably the healthiest of salmon only being in the ocean for a couple years. I'd like to can a whole bunch for work lunches for the next year..
South of Bowen yesterday was insane for pinks. 2 triple headers. Between 30-50 feet on rigger. Everything worked. Trying for coho but only managed a couple keepers.

When do the pinks start to show up around sandheads or the Cap ( west van )
Going to the islands tmw out of Steveston. I was gonna drop the lines for an hour or so just to see if there’s any coho or pinks. I know it’s “no fishing for chinook” but don’t see why it’s any different than south Bowen. Just feels wrong to fish there right now lol.
Will report if I find any.

Going to the islands tmw out of Steveston. I was gonna drop the lines for an hour or so just to see if there’s any coho or pinks. I know it’s “no fishing for chinook” but don’t see why it’s any different than south Bowen. Just feels wrong to fish there right now lol.
Will report if I find any.
Nothing wrong with that at all!

I don’t know why, I just feel skittish about it. Must be all the childhood beatings.
So if asked, what exactly would you say you were doing to avoid catching chinook?

Using pink gear and singing “here stinky pinky, here stinky pinky, where are you”
There's nothing a Chinook won't eat. And pinks for that matter. I'm just continuing the argument here that if there's no enforceable way to determine the difference between no fishing for Chinook and non retention, the why the hell would they go through all the trouble???! God I hate them.

A-aron's point is bang on... It's literally the same thing as fishing pinks/coho off bowen.. just a few miles south, in a zone with the same regs.
Lots of people are by-catching chinooks too. There's no way to definitively prove what you're targeting, but if DFO didn't want us fishing sandheads at all they'd replace "no fishing for chinooks" with "no fishing for salmon".
Totally agree with Rain City's comment though - in this case, the difference between Non-retention and no fishing for chinooks makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:
A-aron's point is bang on... It's literally the same thing as fishing pinks/coho off bowen.. just a few miles south, in a zone with the same regs.
Lots of people are by-catching chinooks too. There's no way to definitively prove what you're targeting, but if DFO didn't want us fishing sandheads at all they'd replace "no fishing for chinooks" with "no fishing for salmon".
Totally agree with Rain City's comment thought - in this case, the difference between Non-retention and no fishing for chinooks makes absolutely no sense.
And if you ask the reputable guides, they'll tell you that fishing in those areas is just asking for trouble. Clearly DFO doesn't have a clue.

And if you ask the reputable guides, they'll tell you that fishing in those areas is just asking for trouble. Clearly DFO doesn't have a clue.
What difference does it make? We don't fish there due to risk they close it, or we don't fish it because it's closed..
Lose lose

Well I chickened out on Sand Heads plus I was too loaded up. Just bombed across last night, off to a good start, put a report in the gulf islands page.

Got a good sized pink tonight, 21” southeast corner of Bowen, 30’ deep on a white up hootchie with pink glow flasher. Also caught a big Chinook on similar setup, released the Chinook. The pink was delicious. Had 4 others on the line that didn’t make it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back