Picked up a Mid- 80's Mariner 30hp for my tinny...now what.

Damien

So I found what looks to be a decent little 30hp tiller (Mariner aka Yamaha?) to hang on my 1960's Thornes 14.5' aluminum. I picked up off of Craigslist based on what seemed to me an honest seller.

I fired it up and went for a little rip in the river, all seems fine. But...to be safe, I would like to have it gone over.

I have no time and little knowledge to work on the motor and think getting a once over done by a reputable mechanic to attend to any deferred maintanence is a good idea. Things that I should have done to a motor that was stored for a few years. Thinking compression test, make sure the impeller is good,change all the fluids & plugs? Degunk the carb, seafoam?

I don't want to spend too much on a motor this old, but I don't want it to go caput because some simple maintanence items weren't in check. It seems to be a good fit and well balanced on my little old tinny and I could get years of 8-10 trips per season out of it.

From what I have been told, I got a sweet deal on a motor that is relatively bomb proof . But I don't want to prove that theory and be faced with trying to navigate the mine field of craigslist used motors or spend $3K plus on a new 15-20hp.

Thoughts on where I could bring it (I'm in Langley, BC) and what this should cost approximately? What I should do, or not bother do to it? Do I bring it in on the boat, or just bring the motor itself?

I appreciate the suggestions.

Last edited:
A once over is always a good preventative measure. Set some parameters though (like a max amount to spend) because you don't want to spend a ton of money unnecessarily. Get some quotes first before giving the green light.

You might surprise yourself if you try checking things out as much as possible yourself. Lots of people on here can offer you good advice. You sound like you already know most of the typical things to look for. I'd say if it is running ok and impeller is working then mount it on your boat and take it for a run. Stay close to shore till you are sure all is working well. Those motors are usually bullet proof so it may not need much more than a change of fluids, spark plugs and impeller.

As per above, you seem to understand the basics that should be checked. Compression and leg oil first (really should have been checked prior to purchase). Critical issues are: one cylinder more than 15% lower compression than the other/s, milky looking leg oil (water entering - failed seal), metal filings in leg oil. Any of those three are enough to send you back to the seller for discussion, I wouldn't spend any further money at that point. If the compression and leg oil check out OK, then you can do the rest:
  • change leg oil
  • change fuel filter, clean in-tank screen
  • change and gap plugs
  • lube all linkages and grease nipples
  • replace water pump impeller
  • inspect all fuel lines for cracking/brittleness (inside and outside cowling)
  • check throttle linkage for slack, adjust if needed
  • check carbs for sync, adjust linkage if needed
  • set idle speed
None of the above needs special tools (except compression tester). With a copy of the factory manual to provide step by step instructions, most people could do all of the above in a half day. You'll pay a shop for 4-5 hours of labour, plus parts and markup.

With a new to me engine I take it back to factory spec and then look at what issues are from that point. The manual has all the original specifications like spark plug model number and gap, carb float height and so on. Personally I would go a step further and disassemble and clean both carbs. You could take it to a shop for that, but do the other work yourself. It's important to have some familiarity with the basics so you have a bit of a clue if something goes funny out on the water.

I should add, I have no mechanical training or special aptitude, just spent some time fooling around with boats. Asked a lot of questions, did some online research and watched some youtube videos. Those older two strokes are pretty easy to work on.

Some good info here, thanks Gents.

I will reitterate that I simply don't have the time or appetite to DIY much of anything. The problem with that is it just means more $$ of course. But that is where I am at and will suck it up.

Here is a critical factor. I picked up the motor for only $600 - I took it on a 20 minute trial and it all seemed good.

I will also have it out on Alouette this weekend (with my 5 hp kicker and minn kota as a back-up, and I don't plan on going very far up the lake) . Should I just run with it until I sense any symptoms? OR would you lean towards giving it to a mechanic for a fluid/plug change over before logging too many more hours?

Say, if you had, $250 to give to a mechanic, what would you get done? Assuming nothing is glaringly wrong requiring a new, expensive part. ie just routine stuff like...

1) Compression test - if good then;
  • change leg oil
  • change fuel filter, clean in-tank screen
  • change and gap plugs
  • lube all linkages and grease nipples
  • replace water pump impeller

Or do nothing and repair and replace as needed? I have had a 2000 15hp merc that I ran for YEARS without doing anything, literally just put gas in it. Same with a 1998 5 horse merc that I still have. The one time I brought a motor in for service (an old 70's 20hp merc came back seemingly running worse and I was $400 lighter for it).

I'm hesitant to do anything, but I know better at this stage. I just don't want to be told a bunch of nonsense and have things done that don't need doing and thus begin to cost more than the motor is worth.

Sorry for the long windedness.

I have used Dan Holmes at Abby Marine on Peardonville Road in Abbotsford to do some basic maintenance for me. I too am a bit mechanically challenged. His prices were fair and I never got the sense he was up-selling me.

As long as you're going to Alouette Lake, stop in at Alouette Marine, last driveway on the right before you enter Golden Ears Park. Bernie is a great mechanic and also a friend of at least 25 years. You may want to phone first 604-466-0333 as it is the busy season.

Ask for an estimate for the list you posted. Have the leg oil and impeller done at the very least.

My philosophy is to do maintenance work on a scheduled basis rather than run it until symptoms develop. Sometimes failure is immediate and could cause a very serious situation.

After gear oil changed and impeller and spark plugs. Every 100 hours to do gear oil changed. Check with impeller and spark plugs.

Put hours on your record book.

Trevor at Maple Marine in Langley is as Honest and knowledgeable as they come, he's just down behind Tisol and Great escape off the bypass

Cool, I will try Maple.

I was just at Aloutte Lake yesterday and thought I would just drop the boat off at Alouette Marine on my way out, but he wasn't around so I just headed home.

The thing ran like a top. Took a few extra pulls to get it to start. So instead of setting the tiller to 'start' I put it to near full throttle (in neutral) and gave it a yank. Fired up nicely and ran perfectly all day.

I think I got lucky with this purchase. The 14' boat really scoots with two guys and day's worth of gear aboard. And we tagged a bunch of kokanee off the riggers in the process of putting the motor through it's paces. Great day on the water. Not too busy and perfect weather.

I have a few boating days left in the year, then will bring it to Maple Marine(it is a stone's throw from my house) and get the necessary things changed and lubed.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I really appreciate it!

Back