Kickers - what is a warranty worth to you?

Which kicker would you buy with your money?

• Brand new, full warranty, full retail price and taxes

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Almost new, less than 4 years old never mounted, no warranty, 2/3rd price of new

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • More than 5 years old, low hours, 1/2 price of new or less

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

chille51

Never have had a new motor, don't know if the warranty usually ends up just being piece of mind and goes unused unless you are unlucky enough to get a lemon? How old is too old on a kicker, not accounting for hours? I would imagine there is a point where even if you magically found New Old Stock that had never been run, parts become a problem? Some brands probably better or worse in this regard than others?

You intend to troll with it, and you want reliable backup power too.

Assuming that you trust or can verify the information being given by the used sellers,
What would your choice be of the 3 options below?

Never have had a new motor, don't know if the warranty usually ends up just being piece of mind and goes unused unless you are unlucky enough to get a lemon? How old is too old on a kicker, not accounting for hours? I would imagine there is a point where even if you magically found New Old Stock that had never been run, parts become a problem? Some brands probably better or worse in this regard than others?

You intend to troll with it, and you want reliable backup power too.

Assuming that you trust or can verify the information being given by the used sellers,
What would your choice be of the 3 options below?
What’s your main? Arima 17 I believe you’re in, so a Yamaha 9.9ht would be more than enough to troll with and give you a good push if your main dies. It’s always nice to match kicker and main for aesthetics but also so you’re buying from less brands and can go to one shop for both if need be.

Yep Arima 17. Honda 75 hp main. Older but well maintained by the same shop for last 14 years. I don't expect it to run forever though so will likely have a repower in my future in next few years. For the kicker Yammy HT and Honda are top of list as far as brands go I think. I think an 8hp would probably be fine actually, but a lot less of them around and new isn't an option with that size anymore.

8 hp is plenty and doesn’t need to be high thrust from my experience with my old Arima. Remember you aren’t going to get planing speed with any kicker so no real gain to more hp. I think even a two cylinder 6hp Yamaha would be adequate. Be wary of adding too much stern weight as that boat is already stern heavy with the gas tank and batteries back there.

Deciding factor in selecting a kicker for me was to be able to fully integrate it into the controls. I run a dual binnacle, one side for the main, one for the kicker. Tie bar to the main for steering. Power trim/tilt/start so I don't need to leave the console to switch. Not as much for convenience as for safety and space savings. I don't have room for a second control. Don't want to be alone, on the back of the boat messing around in bad weather.

I don't worry as much about warranty on the kicker. Parts are cheaper than a bigger outboard. I went with new for reliability and I didn't have time to wait around for the correctly outfitted used one to come along. I have zero regrets aside from fuel injected would be nice but wasn't available at the time. I have to clean the carb in the spring after the boat sits for a few months.

8 hp is plenty and doesn’t need to be high thrust from my experience with my old Arima. Remember you aren’t going to get planing speed with any kicker so no real gain to more hp. I think even a two cylinder 6hp Yamaha would be adequate. Be wary of adding too much stern weight as that boat is already stern heavy with the gas tank and batteries back there.
All 8hp Yamaha are HT

Weight is definitely on my mind. I did think about a 6, which I agree is probably fine for trolling, but maybe a bit underpowered as a true backup plan? Same reason I was thinking HT, maneuverability.

All 8hp Yamaha are HT
Nope I had one on my previous boat and it was definitely not HT. You can tell by size of prop and pitch. A HT prop is too large to fit regular F8. The gearcase is bigger on HT. Like stated previously you can change regular prop for more push. I did and great improvement for about $100

Always buy brand new for kickers. For something that is backup power and used for trolling I don't trust anything used. Lot of people don't do any maintenance. My last Yamaha T8 lasted over 10 years and still got good money when I sold it.

I am currently running a 9.9 remote suzuki with EFI and with warranty of 6 years it was a no brainer.

You can always finance one as an option. I did that with my Yamaha years back and paid off early.

Last edited:
Update on this, have pretty much decided to go new as any used deals that looked worthwhile somebody beat me to them. So now I'm narrowed down to the Yamaha 9.9HT or the Merc Prokicker 9.9 EFI. Leaning towards the latter for EFI and is about $200 less to boot. Only drawback is about 10 extra lbs, but I figure that isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Anyone got anything I should think about to make me reconsider?

IMHO, these small engines are more or less in the same performance bracket. It’s all about your local dealer and how they’re going to treat you when you need them.

Update on this, have pretty much decided to go new as any used deals that looked worthwhile somebody beat me to them. So now I'm narrowed down to the Yamaha 9.9HT or the Merc Prokicker 9.9 EFI. Leaning towards the latter for EFI and is about $200 less to boot. Only drawback is about 10 extra lbs, but I figure that isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Anyone got anything I should think about to make me reconsider?
Do it! EFI for the win. Unless your main is a Suzuki in which case the quilt has to match the curtains.

Back