Personal floatation

Gypseas

I've been in the market for something like a survival jacket or suit or something like that.
What do you guys use out there ? Just the minimum life jacket or the step up survival outfit, epirb, handheld VHF, etc.
Been looking at some jackets at Trotac HellyHansen at $140ish, and of course Mustangs over $400.

I know when sht hits the fan all of the sudden $400 is not such a big number but right now it is.

Cheers yall

I find the survival suit does not always get put on cause of the bulk for fair weather fishing and just a jacket will not give you much thermal protection.

What I use is the mustang floater coat with the beavertail. This limits water entry into your upper torso and will extend your emersion time in the water.

I carry a water tight hi-vis container which holds the flairs, smoke, horn, handheld vhf etc. I think one last improvement would be a smoke signal in the pocket of each of the mustang jackets.

One day I'm going to toss my fishing partner overboard just to test the effectiveness of the floater coat. [}:)]

Not sure what you think of used floatation gear but I saw a full mustang cruiser suit on Used Victoria a short while ago. There were two on there and the XL looked to be in pretty good shape for $150. I was considering going by and looking at it myself but haven't gotten around to it. Sooke?

I wore a full suit while guiding and loved it - it didn't keep out much rain back then, but was nice and warm.

I just picked up a couple of Mustangs at a second hand store last month, pretty much mint shape, on for myself and one for the wife, $20 bucks each. Thought it was a pretty good deal for the colder weather.

A 2 piece mustang suit is the most comfortable but the most costly. The full survival suit is too warm for the summer and quite bulky to wear. Bib pants keeps you warm and allow you to move your arms freely for fishing. When that's not warm enough, toss on the bomber jacket.

The only down side is that this combo will cost you about $500+ but worth the investment.

One thing to remember is to have a whistle and some kind of light in/on your survival gear so if you are in the water you have a way to signal for rescue if in the fog or at night, etc.

I've got those moldy old orange mustang survival jacket and suit you find at garage sales and junk stores. The suit is warm for the cold days, but generally too bulky to wear -- and not really waterproof (first place it comes through...your butt, so sit around the rest of the day in a wet diaper).

A friend gave me a good tip on the floater jacket -- a better bet because it is comfortable enough to actually wear, and therefore if you fall overboard (especially solo), it might save your life. I have the one with the beavertail too, I figure it can't hurt, and the neoprene keeps your back warm while up.

I also picked up a pretty good mustang floater vest, which is better than nothing on those hot summer days -- just enough to keep wind chill off.

One thing about old suits -- a friend told me he attended a life saving course, one part of which was assessing the quality of old cruiser suits. Apparently the foam degrades over time, and the end of their life they have no buoyancy left -- meaning you aren't wearing a life saving device, you're wearing a 20 lb anchor, and down you go. He recommended jumping into water in your suit so you know how it works and how it feels, in advance of the real thing. (try a lake in summer, is my suggestion)
ju

I have the brand new Mustang Integrity bib pants and the 3/4 length jacket. You are right they are fairly pricy...having said that I would rather spend $500-$600 and live then die and have my wife really enjoy what I have worked so hard to get with her new hubby or boyfriend... :)

i have the inflatable type of mustangs, as i know i will and the g/f will wear em in the summer when it is hot, i have a few of the zip up type under the bow but then no ones to wear em, with the inflatables u hardly know u got em on,
no room for all the other gear , but at least they are worn

Back