San Diego capsizing

juandesooka

This is a scary story. What makes it scary is that the people involved are clearly well-prepared and experienced, and it still goes very bad. However, good lessons to be learned...because with the preparedness and the training and not a little bit of luck, they all lived. Without any one of those three things, but especially the first two, one or more of them is dead for sure. [the part of the story that gets to me is the PFD almost killing the captain...and the knife on his belt saving his life...that seems to stick in my head a little]

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/i...life-real-story-about-defiance-capsizing.html

This may SAVE YOUR LIFE! …READ THIS! …The REAL story about the Defiance capsizing during the thanksgiving halibut classic – BY ME…THE GUY DRIVING!!!

The first line in this report: We’re all alive.
The bottom line in this story: We’re all alive.
This being said, it is time to put the dozens of rumors, second-guessing, and Monday-morning-quarterbacking aside and LEARN a few things from this terrifying day.

Mike is a great guy, runs a great event and should in NO WAY be blamed for any of this. It is the captain’s (me) decision to factor in all of the conditions, vessel, crew, tide, experience, etc….to determine what is safe and when it is safe. I take sole and full responsibility for the accident…I blame no-one or have no excuses….but there ARE several reasons this happened the way it did, and learning from it may save a life. If it only saves ONE LIFE, then it will be worth the time spent pecking away at this keyboard.

Click the image to open in full size.The weather reports were substantial…though, none of was even the slightest bit nervous or scared as we left the bay around 6:30. ...Sure, the stuff was big…but spaced out enough to make it manageable.

We were in a 12,000 pound, 29 foot (about 36 feet length-overall) Defiance pilot house, with twin Yamaha 250 four strokes. We had a full tuna-tower with second station, 115 gallon split bait tank. The floor and bow were all filled with closed-cell floatation foam. Diamond Sea Glaze storm windows. Radar, GPS, Two VHF radios, Two antennas, two hand held VHFs, two Handheld GPS units, a personal EPIRB, two flare guns, extra flares, strobe lights, standard PFDs, six cell phones, etc…etc…The reason I describe this, is the gear was USELESS in this situation! You can prepare, prepare, prepare, and then in a flash, you are upside down in the water. There is NO TIME….NO TIME when it goes bad. NO TIME….YOU MUST BE READY.

Click the image to open in full size.

After turning up toward the crystal pier area, I pointed the boat into the weather. While I tried to control our direction at the helm, three of us tried to fish. It was un-fishable. After an hour, I made the call to go back in and fish the bay. THIS IS WHERE MISTAKE ONE OCCURRED. I should have thought about the stacked up conditions that would be present at the entrance with a falling tide, and a huge swell heading directly into the tide, two hours after the slack-high point. Didn’t cross my mind. Didn’t think the boat or crew was in danger. Not in the slightest. I have driven into that bay down-swell in dozens of different boats, dozens, if not hundreds of times….why would this be any different? IT WAS!

While we were swinging around trying to fish, we had managed to wrap about two hundred yards of mono AND spectra around the port prop…..It didn’t effect the performance of our ride at ten knots heading back to the bay, BUT IT DID AT FULL THROTTLE WHEN WE NEEDED IT….conditions were too rough to attempt clearing the prop, and it wasn’t effecting our performance….so I made the call to get inside before putting someone out on the swim platform to clear it…..Mistake Number TWO…..

The better call would have been to sit outside all day at idle until low-slack-tide, or limp around to the big bay. Stupid – but I didn’t realize it at the time….DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE – Stay alive.

He we go….I made a big, slow, gradual turn from Pacific Beach to dead-center channel. As we timed the swells, we head in….tabs up….bow up….throttles adjusting for swell-speed….the way the brain says to do it….the way we have all done it….by the book….with the feel….calling on all the experience…..anxious, but confident.

All six of us were in the pilothouse…door closed….I was on the back of a gnarly big one…timing it….it started gaining on us….leaving us behind, …I throttled all the way up to catch it, and had no thrust from my port motor…it was the spectra….we were doomed. The bow fell behind the swell and the next set picked up the stern and rolled us over……..so fast it was unbelievable. The power of those big, ebbing-stacked, twenty-footers is incredible.

A few minutes earlier I asked one of the crew to get all of the life jackets out of the bags and out of storage. How many of us have stowed-away PFD’s?....In a 36 foot-LOA, fully-enclosed pilot house….would you be wearing them in these conditions? ….I thought so too. READ THIS CAREFULLY OR YOU WILL DROWN!!!!!! We had all the PFDs next to each of us as we went in. I had a self-inflating C02 PFD snapped on as I stood at the helm.

When the boat rolled over, the cabin door slammed shut. The water pressure from outside held it shut. Bo Palmer wedged his arm in the closing-door first, but as we all tumbled, he lost his footing and it slammed. He thought this sealed it for us….we were dead…… Somehow with the help of adrenalin, courage, help from GOD, and the assistance of Jared at the other end, he pried the door open till it clicked into the auto-latch…… OPEN!

The water rushed in filling the dark, upside-down pilothouse in five seconds……the five crew who were NOT WEARING PFD’s were ABLE to swim down through the doorway, out into the cockpit, and out from under the boat…….those crew NOT WEARING PFDS!!!!!!.....Crazy huh?....Had they put the jackets on, instead of holding them, THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN PINNED AGAINST THE UPSIDE-DOWN HULL AND DROWNED!!!!!.... AGAIN, read this part carefully OR YOU MAY DROWN!!!......CARRY A KNIFE….OR TWO….CLIPPED ON YOUR PFD OR BELT OR BOTH….My auto-inflator, did its job, and floated me to the underside of the cabin floor……I watched all five crew members swim out the door, and I was pinned to the cabin floor by my inflated PFD, with about eight inches of air above my neck. There was so much pressure around my fat head and under my arms, that it was impossible to un-buckle the vest…….My mind raced, and I realized my Spiderco stainless knife was clipped to my pocket….I grabbed it, popped both cells of my PFD, took one last breath from the air-pocket, and swam down out the door, around the bait tank, and up the side of the over-turned gunnel.

I remember screaming for a head count was first. Two were on the hull bottom…two more were holding onto the anchor pulpit. One was swimming toward the end of the jetty, and I held onto the prop and skeg…..THEN….the next monster-breaker blew us away from the boat like we were feathers. I was able to make it back between sets…Bo made it to the other inverted motor. My son Steven was twenty yards down swell, in water-proof pants and tight extra-tuff boots….ANOTHER LESSON……Get your boots off FAST! Do NOT wear any WATER TIGHT CLOTHING!!!!.....You will DROWN!....He is young, athletic, and in shape…but…He was barely able to keep himself afloat for the 15-20 minutes it took for the rescue boat to arrive. He was barely conscious, and on his last couple of breaths when the rescue swimmer got to him…..He did not regain consciousness until he was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital----he coughed out tons of saltwater….GET YOUR BOOTS OFF AND BUY THEM ONE-SIZE TOO BIG!!!!

Jared made it out with a PFD…He was ok. Feller made it to the Jetty. Kerry was aware enough to get out of her boots and sweatshirt, and swim to the rocks….she was exhausted, but alive.
Bo and I were dragged into the little whaler after Steven as the best trained, most heroic SD Lifeguard rescue swimmers I have ever witnessed saved our lives. THESE GUYS ARE HEROES!!!

The lessons here are many. It is my hope that you will read, and re-read these scenarios and play it out in your mind to stay alive when something like this runs up on you.

The boat did what it was supposed to. It floated. We crippled it, then asked it to do what it couldn’t, but it floated like it was built-to until help arrived. We lost the tower to the bottom, the rest of the boat is totaled……who cares…..We’re alive.

Wow, i believe the story would be different in a smaller
non-cabin type boat... Then the pfd's would be the only thing
that saves you.

Good read. Don't think I'll read this to the wife though. She's just getting used to Lions Gate when it's flowing.

Had a similar story told to me about PDF's in a Costa Rica trip An elderly fishermen drowned in a Panga that flipped...he was pinned under the boat, couldn't get out because of his PDF.

Thats worse then a nightmare.... its real!!! Glad to hear no lives were lost.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

great post, reading this will definitely make me carry a knife on me at all times when guiding, glad to hear everyone survived

The rest of the story? This is from the "boat builder"

"I just read what Rob has written and thought that I would add a few thoughts. First of all, thank you to all that supported us, it was a wild day. It is very easy to Monday morning quarterback. I was proud of how Rob handled himself and the Boat. He was completely unaware of the fact that one of our props was fouled with 80# spectra to the extent it was. There was probably 200+ yards of spectra on the Port Motors Prop. When we looked at the forecast it was forecasted 8-10 with 3-4 Wind chop. We decided that it was doable but at the top of our range. (Our old range I should say, Right now my wife says Lake Washington only! ) It was supposed to settle down to 2’ wind chop in the afternoon. We decided to have a look at the channel and if it was doable we would go. One of the big problems is that it got progressively worse as we went. There were more than just 3 boats that went out. Quite a few turned around and went back, This was a very dangerous move in my opinion. It is big enough and stacked up enough that we felt like once we committed, we couldn’t risk trying to turn around or we could get rolled. We ran out and although it was lumpy, I have been in much worse and was not concerned about the weather outside. Our plan was to fish outside and then come back after the wind died down and it was calmer. When we tried to fish, it was just not fishable. A couple of guys got tied up in the props and we had to cut the line. I had no idea so much line was in the prop. I will try to post pictures later.

I fish the Washington and Oregon Coast a lot and deal with Bar conditions on a regular basis. I have fished in Southern California a lot and have never even heard anyone mention the tide as an issue. In fact it was a big issue. I should have realized that we ran out at slack and were now coming in early during almost full ebb. Rob, actually made the call to run in early and fish the bay, thinking this was the safer, more prudent move.

A couple of notes here. In Washington and Oregon there are bar restrictions and usually bar restriction lights . You can also call and get Bar reports from the coast guard. This channel however was not even monitored by the Coast Guard. It was monitored by the Mission Bay Life Guards. There isn’t a good method to get a report on the conditions of the channel, like we have up north. When we came into the channel I noticed that the swells were big, you can’t really tell how big when you are on the back side, but we knew it was sporty. Still, even at this point I wasn’t concerned and didn’t feel that we were in danger. I told Rob, to try and follow a swell in and he said that was his plan. We then tucked in behind a swell and he throttled up and we had no power. We couldn’t come on plane. We couldn’t make 12knots. We had come over to the mouth at about 12knots because it was sloppy and had never tried to power it up since the spectra incidents. This boat does over 45knots wide open, and we couldn’t make 15 knots. This is when I thought we were in trouble. I also think that the one motor running full bore and the other motor not, might have caused us to get a little sideways. When I looked backwards I saw a swell breaking and it was huge. It was every bit of 20’ breaking right behind us. With no power to outrun it there was nothing that Rob could have done. It turned us sideways and rolled us in a matter of a couple of seconds. It was not arrogance that got us in trouble. Obviously hind sight being 20-20 we should have stayed in the bay (or at home). But if we would have had power to both motors, there would be no story, just a little white knuckle ride on the way in.

Some have taken this opportunity to say that this is embarrassing for our boats. Quite the contrary. A simple google search of “grady capsized” will find enough scary stories that will cause you to sleep rough for a couple of nights. I was very proud of my boat and the way it performed. No boat made can be without power in those type of swells and not get rolled. Many don’t realize that 90% of all boats over 20’ in length do not have positive flotation! Rob and I had a discussion just last week about needing more storage in the 290 Guadalupe and I said,” If we make more storage, it will not be unsinkable anymore.” We had a debate for some time about it. But I will promise you this. I will never build a boat without positive flotation. If that boat would not have floated, Rob would not be here today.

Rob , was an excellent captain in a terrible situation. Even after we rolled he was workmanlike in his ability to instruct crew and help all get out alive. Obviously, there were mistakes made. But I was proud of our boat, our crew and very grateful for the lifeguards.
A couple key points:
-If you are ever in the water remove boots and excess clothing first thing, those of us that did fared much better than those that did not. Rubber boots are like cement blocks on your feet in the water.
-As Rob stated before, if you have a pilothouse boat make sure that you set your auto-inflate PFD’s to Manual inflate only. Also I will be contacting some of the manufacturers. Not having a dump valve for a situation like Rob’s is an unacceptable design. Please check yours to be sure that you have a dump valve or at the very least be sure you know how to convert it to Manual inflate only. If you are not in a pilothouse, I think autoinflate is fine.
-I will not have a Tuna Tower and Second Station on my boat again. Yes, they look cool, but there is not doubt that it was not helpful in this situation. A spotting tower is fine, but too much weight up top if you get caught in this type of situation
-I truly believe that the pilothouse is one of the main things that caused all 6 of us to survive. No one was thrown from the boat, and didn’t have to worry about the boat rolling over them. I am going to work on the door design to be sure that it is more easily opened. But when we rolled, it was like we were rocks in a tumbler. We were all very safe and alert in the pilothouse. It also held air at the top and gave us some time to get our wits about us.
-This is a big one. There needs to be a system to let boaters know when the channel conditions are unsafe. Lights, channel report line. That channel was twice as bad as when we went out, coming in. If we could have called for a report or had some flashing lights to alert us, we could have gone to San Diego Bay. But we didn’t know how bad it was breaking in the channel until we were committed. I am going to make a strong effort and would appreciate any help on this matter. Some flashing lights at the Jetties will save lives.
-No one panicked, and that was huge. If someone would have gone crazy while I was working to get the door open, we may have never gotten out. I was really proud of how everyone on board dealt with the situation. Yes we were lucky, but the crew kept their heads about them and made good decisions after the roll. I will post pictures of the boat later.

If you haven’t gone through this you can’t fully understand what it is like. But hopefully sharing our experience will help others to be prepared if it does happen. Rob, is one of my best friends and a Great Captain. Mistakes happen, and we made some. But I was proud of everyone there.
I understand all of the, ( you shouldn't have gone out at all responses) . I think that goes without saying at this point.

This experience will change the way I design and build boats. I have always prided myself on building Safe boats for the Hardcore Fisherman. Having gone through this experience I am already working on things to make the boats even safer. Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. My primary hope right now is that people can learn from this and if you do get caught in this situation you can make the proper decisions and be safe. Thanks to all.

Custom Pilothouse Fishing Boats "

I don't think a leatherman will do you, need a knife quick, not fumbling for a blade or a screwdriver if you pick the wrong blade. I always carry a fixed blade one that we use on the commercial boats. when under water upside down and in shock of what just happened YOU DON'T HAVE TIME.

This is a scary story. What makes it scary is that the people involved are clearly well-prepared and experienced, and it still goes very bad. However, good lessons to be learned...because with the preparedness and the training and not a little bit of luck, they all lived. Without any one of those three things, but especially the first two, one or more of them is dead for sure. [the part of the story that gets to me is the PFD almost killing the captain...and the knife on his belt saving his life...that seems to stick in my head a little]

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/i...life-real-story-about-defiance-capsizing.html

This may SAVE YOUR LIFE! …READ THIS! …The REAL story about the Defiance capsizing during the thanksgiving halibut classic – BY ME…THE GUY DRIVING!!!

The first line in this report: We’re all alive.
The bottom line in this story: We’re all alive.
This being said, it is time to put the dozens of rumors, second-guessing, and Monday-morning-quarterbacking aside and LEARN a few things from this terrifying day.

Mike is a great guy, runs a great event and should in NO WAY be blamed for any of this. It is the captain’s (me) decision to factor in all of the conditions, vessel, crew, tide, experience, etc….to determine what is safe and when it is safe. I take sole and full responsibility for the accident…I blame no-one or have no excuses….but there ARE several reasons this happened the way it did, and learning from it may save a life. If it only saves ONE LIFE, then it will be worth the time spent pecking away at this keyboard.

Click the image to open in full size.The weather reports were substantial…though, none of was even the slightest bit nervous or scared as we left the bay around 6:30. ...Sure, the stuff was big…but spaced out enough to make it manageable.

We were in a 12,000 pound, 29 foot (about 36 feet length-overall) Defiance pilot house, with twin Yamaha 250 four strokes. We had a full tuna-tower with second station, 115 gallon split bait tank. The floor and bow were all filled with closed-cell floatation foam. Diamond Sea Glaze storm windows. Radar, GPS, Two VHF radios, Two antennas, two hand held VHFs, two Handheld GPS units, a personal EPIRB, two flare guns, extra flares, strobe lights, standard PFDs, six cell phones, etc…etc…The reason I describe this, is the gear was USELESS in this situation! You can prepare, prepare, prepare, and then in a flash, you are upside down in the water. There is NO TIME….NO TIME when it goes bad. NO TIME….YOU MUST BE READY.

Click the image to open in full size.

After turning up toward the crystal pier area, I pointed the boat into the weather. While I tried to control our direction at the helm, three of us tried to fish. It was un-fishable. After an hour, I made the call to go back in and fish the bay. THIS IS WHERE MISTAKE ONE OCCURRED. I should have thought about the stacked up conditions that would be present at the entrance with a falling tide, and a huge swell heading directly into the tide, two hours after the slack-high point. Didn’t cross my mind. Didn’t think the boat or crew was in danger. Not in the slightest. I have driven into that bay down-swell in dozens of different boats, dozens, if not hundreds of times….why would this be any different? IT WAS!

While we were swinging around trying to fish, we had managed to wrap about two hundred yards of mono AND spectra around the port prop…..It didn’t effect the performance of our ride at ten knots heading back to the bay, BUT IT DID AT FULL THROTTLE WHEN WE NEEDED IT….conditions were too rough to attempt clearing the prop, and it wasn’t effecting our performance….so I made the call to get inside before putting someone out on the swim platform to clear it…..Mistake Number TWO…..

The better call would have been to sit outside all day at idle until low-slack-tide, or limp around to the big bay. Stupid – but I didn’t realize it at the time….DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE – Stay alive.

He we go….I made a big, slow, gradual turn from Pacific Beach to dead-center channel. As we timed the swells, we head in….tabs up….bow up….throttles adjusting for swell-speed….the way the brain says to do it….the way we have all done it….by the book….with the feel….calling on all the experience…..anxious, but confident.

All six of us were in the pilothouse…door closed….I was on the back of a gnarly big one…timing it….it started gaining on us….leaving us behind, …I throttled all the way up to catch it, and had no thrust from my port motor…it was the spectra….we were doomed. The bow fell behind the swell and the next set picked up the stern and rolled us over……..so fast it was unbelievable. The power of those big, ebbing-stacked, twenty-footers is incredible.

A few minutes earlier I asked one of the crew to get all of the life jackets out of the bags and out of storage. How many of us have stowed-away PFD’s?....In a 36 foot-LOA, fully-enclosed pilot house….would you be wearing them in these conditions? ….I thought so too. READ THIS CAREFULLY OR YOU WILL DROWN!!!!!! We had all the PFDs next to each of us as we went in. I had a self-inflating C02 PFD snapped on as I stood at the helm.

When the boat rolled over, the cabin door slammed shut. The water pressure from outside held it shut. Bo Palmer wedged his arm in the closing-door first, but as we all tumbled, he lost his footing and it slammed. He thought this sealed it for us….we were dead…… Somehow with the help of adrenalin, courage, help from GOD, and the assistance of Jared at the other end, he pried the door open till it clicked into the auto-latch…… OPEN!

The water rushed in filling the dark, upside-down pilothouse in five seconds……the five crew who were NOT WEARING PFD’s were ABLE to swim down through the doorway, out into the cockpit, and out from under the boat…….those crew NOT WEARING PFDS!!!!!!.....Crazy huh?....Had they put the jackets on, instead of holding them, THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN PINNED AGAINST THE UPSIDE-DOWN HULL AND DROWNED!!!!!.... AGAIN, read this part carefully OR YOU MAY DROWN!!!......CARRY A KNIFE….OR TWO….CLIPPED ON YOUR PFD OR BELT OR BOTH….My auto-inflator, did its job, and floated me to the underside of the cabin floor……I watched all five crew members swim out the door, and I was pinned to the cabin floor by my inflated PFD, with about eight inches of air above my neck. There was so much pressure around my fat head and under my arms, that it was impossible to un-buckle the vest…….My mind raced, and I realized my Spiderco stainless knife was clipped to my pocket….I grabbed it, popped both cells of my PFD, took one last breath from the air-pocket, and swam down out the door, around the bait tank, and up the side of the over-turned gunnel.

I remember screaming for a head count was first. Two were on the hull bottom…two more were holding onto the anchor pulpit. One was swimming toward the end of the jetty, and I held onto the prop and skeg…..THEN….the next monster-breaker blew us away from the boat like we were feathers. I was able to make it back between sets…Bo made it to the other inverted motor. My son Steven was twenty yards down swell, in water-proof pants and tight extra-tuff boots….ANOTHER LESSON……Get your boots off FAST! Do NOT wear any WATER TIGHT CLOTHING!!!!.....You will DROWN!....He is young, athletic, and in shape…but…He was barely able to keep himself afloat for the 15-20 minutes it took for the rescue boat to arrive. He was barely conscious, and on his last couple of breaths when the rescue swimmer got to him…..He did not regain consciousness until he was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital----he coughed out tons of saltwater….GET YOUR BOOTS OFF AND BUY THEM ONE-SIZE TOO BIG!!!!

Jared made it out with a PFD…He was ok. Feller made it to the Jetty. Kerry was aware enough to get out of her boots and sweatshirt, and swim to the rocks….she was exhausted, but alive.
Bo and I were dragged into the little whaler after Steven as the best trained, most heroic SD Lifeguard rescue swimmers I have ever witnessed saved our lives. THESE GUYS ARE HEROES!!!

The lessons here are many. It is my hope that you will read, and re-read these scenarios and play it out in your mind to stay alive when something like this runs up on you.

The boat did what it was supposed to. It floated. We crippled it, then asked it to do what it couldn’t, but it floated like it was built-to until help arrived. We lost the tower to the bottom, the rest of the boat is totaled……who cares…..We’re alive.
Unbelievable, I'm wondering if you're still on this forum and of you had the boat remade.

Why leave the beach when conditions are "unfishable"? That's mistake #1.

Back