Parksvill

Oggidog

I have recently moved to Parksville from the mainland. My boat is kept at Beachcomber and over the winter have done a bit of prawning.
Over the years all of my fishing has been on the West side of the Island, but since I am living on the East side, could any of you tell me....Is there any salmon fishing around Northwest Bay, Mistaken Island, Ballenas, etc?
also
Are there any halibut in this general area?
Looking forward to being a part of this forum

my boat will be in there sometime this month i live near the marina. What are you fishing out of? I havent heard much lately since i havent been out but the fishings good in nanaimo so it should be good. Do you know the area well yet? Sangster on the other side should be good right now. Its near lasqueti island. You would need a decent boat if the winds picked up though. Ballenas is another good spot off the lighthouse but check the rockfish consvervation areas as much of that area is closed. Closer to home mistaken and Gerald island can have some fish. Fish all around mistaken but watch for a large reef on the southeast side. Gerald again just troll around till you find a part you like. Last year early summer was good and most fish were deep 150+ but i would start at 120-140. Gear wise coyotes copcar,watermelon or lots of hootchies ect. baits a pain with the doggies good luck

oh yea and no halibut. one 67lber was caught in the 90s at the marina but the chances of catching one even if targetting them is very very very slim

Thank you Kelly
I have a Bayliner 2452 at the end of "A" dock. I will have to take a day off and go take a look. This is a great area and terrific little marina, so if there are a few fish around that would be a bonus.

i use to fish that area a lot when i was younger, i still fish it a few times a year,what kelly said was bang on, all the places and times are right, i personally like to fish mistaken because i kno that better than balenas, sangster, or even gerald. due to the reef between mistaken and gerald, the bait usually gathers there and it usually holds a few fish, will be fishing there next weekend, keep in touch

Give the guys at the French Creek Store a call (or better yet stop in and chat). They're very helpful. There was some good fishing in May/June last year around French Creek, and what Kelly said is also good advice.
3rd week of August to mid September the fishing at the Big and Little Qualicum's is fantastic (long run from Beachcomber).

Back